Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 08-12-21, 10:19 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Some time on the TT bike tomorrow morning (outside at Fiesta), then driving up to Manker Flats campground on Mt Baldy road. On Saturday we (our mountaineering party of 4) will day hike Mt Baldy with loaded packs for training. It's 11 mi with significant elevation.

Only other riding this week was on Tuesday, Zwift race and commuting after (10 mi each way). It was on Greatest London Loop and I got separated from the top group of three over the top. We rolled in as singles and went 1-2-3, so at least I was able to stay in TT mode ahead of the first large group.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-12-21, 12:22 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
it's 90 degrees in the Boston area today (92 currently lol) not that I generally go outside to workout on weekdays but that's a nonstarter today. Just settled for my like 80 degree basement, did 3x30 @ 85%, my average HR for each was 153, 156, 162, slowly stewing lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-12-21, 05:06 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
It was only 74 at 5 am this morning, but 100% humidity. I nearly drowned during my workout. The humidity went down later in the day, but the temp with heat index got over 100.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 08-17-21, 10:15 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

^
yikes.

I rode the TT bike this morning and felt halfway decent. A couple days from our Mt. Baldy training hike and a light spin yesterday did the trick I guess. I just did 3x laps at SST on Fiesta, about 28 minutes total. The wind was super low so I felt fairly fast at my power. Would take nearly 50 watts more on my road bike to hit those splits.

Also, on a separate note, the new modern wide wheels I got for my TCR are a bit tough to squeeze into my Felt DA2 TT rig, so I had to file the ends of the brake pads down a bit. It felt like some sort of rite of passage or something into the TT world haha
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-17-21, 12:35 PM
hubcyclist

started the CX specialty plan on TR, anaerobic workout today varying in length from 15-85sec, not too hard. Racing is less than a month away so curious how all this training translates to racing after a 2 year hiatus. I gave my CX bike a pretty major tune up, new cassette, new 46t chainring (I have 2x) new shift cables and housing and finally new handlebar tape. Of course if I suffer a mechanical I'll only have myself to blame lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-17-21, 01:57 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Still getting after it. Low Z2 avg HR last night on Zwift for 1:40, but avg power was Z3 and included a Box and Fox hill Z5 hit during it. Just oddly low HR. Maybe adapting lately. We'll see. Just lots and lots of KJ's given less coasting on Zwift than around my neighborhood. I mean, not a lot overall of KJ's given what you all do, just impressed how the constant pedaling improves that.

I miss the TT bike. Been too hot midday and can't get out in AM lately with it. I mean, it's only been a week and a couple days. I need to go hammer a "10" soon. I feel a PR is due. C'mon 28mph.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-19-21, 01:13 PM
hubcyclist

PSA for anyone curious, TR has made their adaptive training an open beta, so if you have TR account and want to give it a whirl, it's available to you now!
Old 08-19-21, 02:53 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Last stair workout (w loaded pack) yesterday. A bit of jogging first. Gotta say, compared to a month ago, it felt pretty easy. Especially the side-to-side stabilizing muscles around the knees, just solid. The big training hike last weekend helped.

Our trip is this weekend, short day tomorrow, looking fwd to it! The peak is at 14,000 and change and the TH is at like 5,5000, so we have our work cut out for us! Three nights in the mountains to lighten the trek a bit since a couple in our group aren't the fastest hikers. Hopefully there isn't a lingering steep snow field at the pass that requires an ice axe. Haven't been able to get ahold of the ranger. With the elevation gain you don't want to bring anything extra haha.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-21-21, 07:19 PM
hubcyclist

did one of the harder vo2 workouts I remember doing, 4x4min @ 115% (I've never done much past 3 mins before). Good news is I think I've set an all time best 4min power, so that's good. I went outside after the inside workout and between just having done a hard workout and the high temp/humidity, what should have been a relatively easy endurance ride felt like a tempo ride
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-22-21, 02:19 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I was all ready for my long TT bike ride. It got some KOM hunt love yesterday going like 45mph, but not much duration. If you must ask why a middling TT enthusiast needs a 56/42........that'd be why.

Then..........the di2 cruise home of shame. Neglected charging habits. So not quite 3 hours of gravel instead after a bike swap.

Damn the early morning trail runner groups. For F's sake, the trail is stupid wide and you run 8 dudes wide and act like you don't see and hear a bike coming towards you ringing a bell. Morons. It takes the motorist "why do bikes ride two beside" to about the millionth degree.
Old 08-22-21, 11:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
did one of the harder vo2 workouts I remember doing, 4x4min @ 115% (I've never done much past 3 mins before). Good news is I think I've set an all time best 4min power, so that's good. I went outside after the inside workout and between just having done a hard workout and the high temp/humidity, what should have been a relatively easy endurance ride felt like a tempo ride
Good work!
Old 08-22-21, 11:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

River Ride yesterday. Second week in a row there was some sketchiness that is making me reconsider bringing my kid on the ride. Next week is a cross clinic so that should be somewhat safer.

Finished with 550 tss for the week. 600 used to be my goal, but I’m still climbing back up to that kind of volume.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-23-21, 04:53 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Attempted to spend some quality time on the TT bike this weekend in prep for the final TT this weekend, but I'm an idiot and broke my bike mid ride. I only have one bottle cage on the TT bike and stopped mid ride for some water and while I was in the store, the bike fell over and broke the rear derailleur hanger. Argh...I only got 30 of the 60ish miles planned and I had to call for a ride for only the second time in my cycling life. Luckily, I was able to get it fixed same day, so I'm good to go for this weekend.

Yesterday was eighty miles on the road bike with some focus on leg speed and speed/power efficiency where I try to keep my cadence up and keep the average speed up without driving the average power out of endurance. Things felt really good, now if I can take that into Saturday after trying to hold form for the last month.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 08-25-21, 06:20 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Cross specific Zwift workout last night. Wrote it myself in TP. I really really feel the whole 30/30's stuff is kinda stupid for the cross courses we ride on locally. You simply never coast for 30sec or 20sec or even 15sec at a time. You might brake/coast 5sec at most at a time.

Given the short rest periods, and the hard start, you will NOT be doing anaerobic or upper VO2 the rest of the time.

So, I did 3 sets of:

1x15sec: 215%
1x45sec: 140%
18x30sec: 100% 5sec: 60%
1x30sec: 140%

Was really good. Hard start, check. Hold the start for a bit, check. Settle in, check. Finish strong, check.

I'll go do the practice laps Thurs. I will sign up for the first race and make my donation to their charity as sometimes they lottery those for a callup which is golden. Hoping wife's grandad holds out. I may miss that race as he's about to go and we may have to travel for that. Poor guy seems to have given up.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-25-21, 09:32 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Yesterday, Fiesta. I planned on accelerations and jumps and then z2 for a couple of laps. When I finished my jumps, a group ride (one of many) swarmed me and I decided to tail gun. Also, I weighed in at 165.2 and wanted to take that weight out for a test ride. The group ride was pretty easy and my power profile looks like the back of a porcupine.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-25-21, 11:59 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Last stair workout (w loaded pack) yesterday. A bit of jogging first. Gotta say, compared to a month ago, it felt pretty easy. Especially the side-to-side stabilizing muscles around the knees, just solid. The big training hike last weekend helped.

Our trip is this weekend, short day tomorrow, looking fwd to it! The peak is at 14,000 and change and the TH is at like 5,5000, so we have our work cut out for us! Three nights in the mountains to lighten the trek a bit since a couple in our group aren't the fastest hikers. Hopefully there isn't a lingering steep snow field at the pass that requires an ice axe. Haven't been able to get ahold of the ranger. With the elevation gain you don't want to bring anything extra haha.
I just got back from the mountains (Jasper) and it feels like winter. Snow at elevation, fallen leaves, below freezing at night.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 08-27-21, 08:36 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

There is a lot of repetition required to perfect the body. My training is pretty boring to write about but I keep at it. “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle.

Fiesta, TT bike, 30 on one minute off x three laps and then off the the gym for strength training and mobility work.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-27-21, 12:45 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Cross specific Zwift workout last night. Wrote it myself in TP. I really really feel the whole 30/30's stuff is kinda stupid for the cross courses we ride on locally. You simply never coast for 30sec or 20sec or even 15sec at a time. You might brake/coast 5sec at most at a time.

Given the short rest periods, and the hard start, you will NOT be doing anaerobic or upper VO2 the rest of the time.

So, I did 3 sets of:

1x15sec: 215%
1x45sec: 140%
18x30sec: 100% 5sec: 60%
1x30sec: 140%

Was really good. Hard start, check. Hold the start for a bit, check. Settle in, check. Finish strong, check.

I'll go do the practice laps Thurs. I will sign up for the first race and make my donation to their charity as sometimes they lottery those for a callup which is golden. Hoping wife's grandad holds out. I may miss that race as he's about to go and we may have to travel for that. Poor guy seems to have given up.
I did 15"/15" on/offs this morning (Hunger -3 on TR). These workouts where the "offs" are not truly off just suck, and with a dumb trainer, it takes a huge amount of concentration to put any wattage into the pedals on the offs. In the end I know this is where the fitness is made, but lordy that was a bear.

Sorry to hear about your wife's granddad.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-27-21, 02:11 PM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by caloso
I did 15"/15" on/offs this morning (Hunger -3 on TR). These workouts where the "offs" are not truly off just suck, and with a dumb trainer, it takes a huge amount of concentration to put any wattage into the pedals on the offs. In the end I know this is where the fitness is made, but lordy that was a bear.
I've been doing similar stuff on the CX plan, yesterday was Maria and next week is Flume +2. my first 2 races are sept 11 and 12 right after an easy week, so I'm essentially peaking for these (I do still have the 2nd half of CX specialty which will take me to the real peak of my club's race in October). It's going to be hard not to put some pressure on myself to race well given how well training is going, but other people are training as well so there's that lol

We did have a couple of races get cancelled in Sept for covid related concerns so basically I only have 2 events in Sept, so I'm putting all my eggs into one weekend basket. Hoping the wheels don't come off the season with other events dropping off. Personally I think outdoor events can be safely run but I definitely appreciate an abundance of caution
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-29-21, 07:00 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

4 hours of endurance riding over the weekend with wife along the coast and through Camp Pendleton. I may have seen Doge on the tandem. It was a robust guy up front with a smaller stoker going pretty fast.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-30-21, 04:21 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

backpack trip went great, I'll update with some photos later once my buddy uploads.

I hit it decently hard on the TT bike on Saturday then on the road yesterday for 70 mi/4 hrs. My knee started to hurt a bit, I think it was a bit too much too soon. Shoulda stuck to my planned 3 hrs at low z2 haha, 4 hrs with hammering was a bit much/ a bit "out of the blue". Not too worried about it, I'll take it easy the rest of the week and ease back into it. I have a couple of months before I am training in earnest anyway.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-31-21, 10:38 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

An hour of multitasking on the trainer this morning (Z1) and I didn't notice my knee which is good. I took a few ibuprofen anyway. Rather than go bigger tomorrow, I'm gonna spin easy for 20-30 min then jog around the neighborhood. Because that's what I have been doing lately and well, I want to. If that goes well (which I expect) I might go for 90-120 min on Thursday AM with an effort or two.

Outside of that I may go for up to 3h on the weekend, but outside of that I have a ton of bike work to do. Re-cabling my TCR (shifters and brakes) and preparing my (old) MTB and road fixie bike for sale. New MTB is at the shop and may be done as soon as this weekend. It's a seller's market right now so I'm excited to get some good cash for the bikes I'm selling. Minus two, plus one to the stable. Now I can actually fit them all (plus my wife's) on the 6 hooks we have in the studs along the wall in the "guest" bedroom:

new MTB
two road bikes
TT bike
track bike
wife's hybrid bike
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-31-21, 01:42 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Tell us more about this new MTB?

I sold my rather old MTB last year - took advantage of the seller's market - and am starting to think about getting another one.
Old 08-31-21, 05:52 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Tell us more about this new MTB?

I sold my rather old MTB last year - took advantage of the seller's market - and am starting to think about getting another one.
Specialized "Chisel" - their new name for a smartweld 1,400 gram HT XC frame, 29er
Fox Factory 32 fork
Fox Factor dropper post
Shimano M8000 1x11 (chose 11 vs 12 since I have 3 other bikes that run the same chain)
Hunt alloy "XC wide" wheels, similar weight as frame
Vittoria Mezcal XC tires
Fancy Race Face Next SL carbon crank, 34t absolute black oval ano red chainring... so sweet.

It's gonna be a couple weeks before I get it built up, but I'll post some pics when I do! The old MTB was similar (HT) but 27.5". Which is fun and all and I do enjoy whipping it around, but I get smoked by the big wheel in racing situations when the terrain is flat or when it gets a bit overly rocky and bumpy. I'm looking fwd to the new rig and have some endurance type MTB races planned on it during my off season and early base training.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-31-21, 05:55 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Fiesta TTT Tuesdays with partner 2x20k TTT on TT bikes 1/2 Lap exchanges. Legs felt great. Left the chain home. It was a slightly overcast day with low wind and low 70s temp. The fast guys were already done with their workout and Fiesta had very little car or bike traffic.
Likes For Hermes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.