Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 09-01-21, 07:08 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Tornado hit our area. We're safe and relatively unscathed. Trees on both cars, some fence down, some beautiful trees lost, but the house is in one piece. Few hundred feet away a house is missing their entire roof, some of it I think is in our yard, lots of plywood and insulation and stuff in our yard.

Sad, but safe. No electricity, no known restoration, running low on gasoline. My generator is set up to run on natural gas but I think they shut it off, must've gotten damaged somewhere.

Might try to cut the tree off the car with a handsaw, go buy gasoline and a saw that runs.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 09-01-21, 08:48 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
The part shortage will not end in the next couple of years. Period. Current delivery dates on many standard Shimano parts are reading October and November of next year. I am kinda chapped they decided to launch the new groups yesterday with OEM deliveries in October. I get it - you can't stop multi-year design, testing and manufacturing processes because of a pandemic and then sit on the new tech while it slowly gets outclassed by new tech or competitors... but... I take it as a measure of good faith if you can actually have basic chains in stock anywhere before pushing these systems on top end clients,

The over $4k retail price for the new DA group is another punch in the junk.

Seriously I can't stress this enough - if you like riding your bike then source replacement standard wear parts sooner rather than later. If you don't absolutely need it yet then don't over pay for it but if it's in stock at normal price then I suggest grabbing what you could foreseeably need in the next year or two.
Sooo, you have a crankset you'd like to sell me?
Old 09-01-21, 09:52 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Tornado hit our area. We're safe and relatively unscathed. Trees on both cars, some fence down, some beautiful trees lost, but the house is in one piece. Few hundred feet away a house is missing their entire roof, some of it I think is in our yard, lots of plywood and insulation and stuff in our yard.

Sad, but safe. No electricity, no known restoration, running low on gasoline. My generator is set up to run on natural gas but I think they shut it off, must've gotten damaged somewhere.

Might try to cut the tree off the car with a handsaw, go buy gasoline and a saw that runs.
Got the car free, bought a saw and filled the car and the 5 gallon gas can. Should last until they turn the natural gas back on at least. I hope it's soon, I don't look forward to cold showers, we have gas hot water, gas heater, gas dryer. You don't expect the natural gas to go out. Not looking forward to seeing everything in the bright light of day tomorrow.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 09-02-21, 06:49 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
Got the car free, bought a saw and filled the car and the 5 gallon gas can. Should last until they turn the natural gas back on at least. I hope it's soon, I don't look forward to cold showers, we have gas hot water, gas heater, gas dryer. You don't expect the natural gas to go out. Not looking forward to seeing everything in the bright light of day tomorrow.
Just make sure that you check to see if you need to put oil in the gas before you put it in the saw. Hopefully, super obvious and unnecessary comment.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-02-21, 12:27 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by himespau
Just make sure that you check to see if you need to put oil in the gas before you put it in the saw. Hopefully, super obvious and unnecessary comment.
This will be funny to others, and maybe funny to me in a few weeks, but this is literally what happened to the previous owner of this saw.

I could tell it looked used when I bought it, the bar was dirty, the plastic on the box was broken. I negotiated them down 20% for open box, they said they all look slightly dirty, they are tested at the factory, but it can't be used because they have to destroy returned chainsaws and can't use them. I stupidly trusted them since they were a manager and should know.

Got it home, check gas and bar oil. Both are pretty full, the gas doesn't have any oil in it though. They should be empty if it's new. And the gas should have oil in it.

Replace the gas with fresh mixed, loosen the incredibly overtightened chain a bit. Won't stay running. As soon as you get it idle it dies. I'm pissed. I've gotten nothing done. No more saws nearby to buy anymore. My in laws are bringing me a battery one that they say works well. Ridiculous. They're gonna get an earful.
Old 09-02-21, 12:46 PM
himespau 

I made the mistake of keeping my 2 gas cans next to each other when I first moved in to our house (first house we owned and had to take care of lawns). Wrote (2-stroke Engine Gas (50:1)" on the can with oil added. My wife put the straight gas in the weedwhacker the first time she filled it up because she said she couldn't tell the difference between the cans after she'd asked me where the gas for it was and I just said "up on the shelf." Fortunately, she was just filling it up after using it, so I could dump it. I'd just assumed everyone knew which things where 2-stroke and which were 4 stroke, so I didn't write which items were for which on the cans. Now I know.
Old 09-02-21, 01:57 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I made the mistake of keeping my 2 gas cans next to each other when I first moved in to our house (first house we owned and had to take care of lawns). Wrote (2-stroke Engine Gas (50:1)" on the can with oil added. My wife put the straight gas in the weedwhacker the first time she filled it up because she said she couldn't tell the difference between the cans after she'd asked me where the gas for it was and I just said "up on the shelf." Fortunately, she was just filling it up after using it, so I could dump it. I'd just assumed everyone knew which things where 2-stroke and which were 4 stroke, so I didn't write which items were for which on the cans. Now I know.
I've long avoided buying a gas-powered weed whacker because I don't need a four-stroke one, and I don't want to deal with two gas cans and a two stroke.
Old 09-02-21, 02:12 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I've long avoided buying a gas-powered weed whacker because I don't need a four-stroke one, and I don't want to deal with two gas cans and a two stroke.
I already have a 2 stroke blower and weed whacker, so the saw doesn't bother me. I also have it written on the cans which are mixed and the ratio, but my wife doesn't do the yard work so it's fine.

Electricity restoration estimate came and went and they moved it back to "unknown". At least the natural gas is on so I can run mostly indefinitely, just no AC.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 09-02-21, 02:27 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Yeah, I should have just said screw it and paid extra for the 4 stroke, but I'd been planning on buying a chainsaw and other stuff that would need the mixed gas (have an old rototiller that I haven't used in 6-7 years that uses mixed gas, but I'm not sure it'll start any more). Ended up with an electric chainsaw because I wanted a lightweight one I could put on a pole for trimming trees. Still need to buy a real one at some point.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-02-21, 08:48 PM
himespau 

My 6 year old was playing the neighbor girl from a couple houses down in their front yard. When I went to get him for dinner, I was still a house or two away when their dog came around the corner completely nuts barking and growling at my son and then bit him on the thigh, tearing through his shorts and drawing blood with 2 puncture holes (not deep but it was bleeding and he's been scared all night long). When I went up to their front door to see if her parents were home (they weren't) to talk about what had happened and make sure their dog was up to date on the shots, the little girl's dad started yelling at me through their Ring to get off their property. The dog was still snarling and barking the whole time (it's been a mean dog in general whenever we walk past their house ever since they moved in a couple months back), and I got pissed (and scared for my son) and yelled back at the dude about how it was unacceptable to have a dog if you couldn't train it properly to not bite people (yelling at someone through their Ring is about as ridiculous-looking as it gets, I'm sure). As I turned to leave, the dog lunged at and bit me (fortunately, I turned and it mainly got my pants and didn't get through them and then I got big and loud and scared it back). By that point, I'd lost my cool and was yelling that their beast was a menace and I'd be calling animal control (not my finest moment, especially for neighbors who didn't know what was going on and saw me yelling and the only one visible around besides 2 dogs going completely berserk was a little girl as no one could see the dad on the Ring I was arguing with). I'd hate to be the reason a family loses a pet (or an animal loses its life), but all the houses around have little kids and we can't have a dog that can't be controlled going off and getting someone really hurt. I don't know...

My cousin was about my son's age when one a boxer at one of his neighbor's houses burst through their screen door and attacked him while he was walking by on the sidewalk. He still apparently has bad scars on his back and was afraid of dogs and wouldn't go near them until he and his wife bought one 4-5 years ago. I don't want that for my son, but I have a different relationship with dogs than the rest of my family. My wife (and with her my kids) will go pet any of the neighbors' dogs up and down the street if they're in their yard even if the owners aren't present. Even though I love dogs and have had a number growing up, I do not approach a dog (even one I know) if their owner isn't right there.

Last edited by himespau; 09-02-21 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-02-21, 09:37 PM
Flatballer
No matches

My 6 year old was playing the neighbor girl from a couple houses down in their front yard. When I went to get him for dinner, I was still a house or two away when their dog came around the corner completely nuts barking and growling at my son and then bit him on the thigh, tearing through his shorts and drawing blood with 2 puncture holes (not deep but it was bleeding and he's been scared all night long). When I went up to their front door to see if her parents were home (they weren't) to talk about what had happened and make sure their dog was up to date on the shots, the little girl's dad started yelling at me through their Ring to get off their property. The dog was still snarling and barking the whole time (it's been a mean dog in general whenever we walk past their house ever since they moved in a couple months back), and I got pissed (and scared for my son) and yelled back at the dude about how it was unacceptable to have a dog if you couldn't train it properly to not bite people (yelling at someone through their Ring is about as ridiculous-looking as it gets, I'm sure). As I turned to leave, the dog lunged at and bit me (fortunately, I turned and it mainly got my pants and didn't get through them and then I got big and loud and scared it back). By that point, I'd lost my cool and was yelling that their beast was a menace and I'd be calling animal control (not my finest moment, especially for neighbors who didn't know what was going on and saw me yelling and the only one visible around besides 2 dogs going completely berserk was a little girl as no one could see the dad on the Ring I was arguing with). I'd hate to be the reason a family loses a pet (or an animal loses its life), but all the houses around have little kids and we can't have a dog that can't be controlled going off and getting someone really hurt. I don't know...

My cousin was about my son's age when one a boxer at one of his neighbor's houses burst through their screen door and attacked him while he was walking by on the sidewalk. He still apparently has bad scars on his back and was afraid of dogs and wouldn't go near them until he and his wife bought one 4-5 years ago. I don't want that for my son, but I have a different relationship with dogs than the rest of my family. My wife (and with her my kids) will go pet any of the neighbors' dogs up and down the street if they're in their yard even if the owners aren't present. Even though I love dogs and have had a number growing up, I do not approach a dog (even one I know) if their owner isn't right there.
I don't approach dogs I don't know, but if I knew a dog well (and it was a breed with a good temperament, like a golden or lab or something) I'd probably pet it.

But **** that dog and **** that dad. Doesn't deserve to have that pet, and somebody will get killed, you can't not call animal control, it's not really an option.
Old 09-03-21, 07:22 AM
himespau 

The dad came over later last night and, apparently, he hadn't recognized me from his Ring and couldn't hear what I was saying so he just saw his dog freaking out and thought I was a stranger so he was yelling at me to get off his property because of that.

He said that up until they'd moved here a few months back, they'd lived on a farm and the dog had been trained to protect the property. The dog was getting old, the move confused him, and he was startling more and more easily and that led to him getting angry. He said the dog had never bit or even nipped before, but his daughter piped up that the dog had been nipping her a bunch lately. The dad thought that, when my son rang their doorbell to ask if the girl could play, it had scared the dog and he'd somehow gotten out of the house from the back and had come around all angry. He also said that they were probably going to have to put the dog down if it bites people when startled because it was startling so easy.

My son was much less scared/upset this morning, but now feels like it's his fault that his friend might lose her dog. I tried to tell him it wasn't his fault, but he's just starting to make friends after a year of pandemic isolation and I think he is a little worried (I am too) that he's going to lose one of his few new ones as a result of this.
Old 09-03-21, 07:59 AM
Flatballer
No matches

The dad came over later last night and, apparently, he hadn't recognized me from his Ring and couldn't hear what I was saying so he just saw his dog freaking out and thought I was a stranger so he was yelling at me to get off his property because of that.

He said that up until they'd moved here a few months back, they'd lived on a farm and the dog had been trained to protect the property. The dog was getting old, the move confused him, and he was startling more and more easily and that led to him getting angry. He said the dog had never bit or even nipped before, but his daughter piped up that the dog had been nipping her a bunch lately. The dad thought that, when my son rang their doorbell to ask if the girl could play, it had scared the dog and he'd somehow gotten out of the house from the back and had come around all angry. He also said that they were probably going to have to put the dog down if it bites people when startled because it was startling so easy.

My son was much less scared/upset this morning, but now feels like it's his fault that his friend might lose her dog. I tried to tell him it wasn't his fault, but he's just starting to make friends after a year of pandemic isolation and I think he is a little worried (I am too) that he's going to lose one of his few new ones as a result of this.
Well that certainly confuses the situation. Sounds like he handled the aftermath as best as possible considering.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 09-03-21, 08:45 AM
Flatballer
No matches

This is the house behind us, we share a part of back fence. They're probably 200 feet away, house to house.

I can't get over how random it was. The house across the street from this is the same. But the one in between them on the cul-de-sac is worse than us but relatively minor.

There's probably 10 houses in our neighborhood that are basically trash, and a lot that are just fine. Someone died just half a mile away, crushed by a tree on their top floor, while their husband was coming to get them.

And this was just an EF-2, estimated at 130 so almost a weak 3.
Old 09-03-21, 10:54 AM
big john

This is the house behind us, we share a part of back fence. They're probably 200 feet away, house to house.

I can't get over how random it was. The house across the street from this is the same. But the one in between them on the cul-de-sac is worse than us but relatively minor.

There's probably 10 houses in our neighborhood that are basically trash, and a lot that are just fine. Someone died just half a mile away, crushed by a tree on their top floor, while their husband was coming to get them.

And this was just an EF-2, estimated at 130 so almost a weak 3.
Were your cars ok, driveable after you got the trees off of them? Is the local market open for food shopping?
Old 09-03-21, 12:04 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Tornados are weird. I remember one when I was a kid where a couple blocks away in either direction there were missing roofs and general destruction but at our house there were a couple plants from the deck that were pushed off it and into the yard and that's it.

I've been too close to too many of them in my life. I have been lucky enough to not have suffered any direct damage or injuries and haven't had to witness destruction first hand.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-03-21, 01:11 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Keep close watch for infection on that dog bite.

Glad you're safe Flatballer - stuff is replaceable.

2-stroke? They still sell that stuff?
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 09-03-21, 01:12 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by big john
Were your cars ok, driveable after you got the trees off of them? Is the local market open for food shopping?
Our usual is open, tricky to get to, lots of closures still. Our main car seems fine, the other we gave up on getting trees off of, just too big and heavy and hung up. Gonna let the pros handle it.

Electricity is still off, now they say tonight at 11. We'll see. My generator is running basically everything, just can't run the dryer or the oven or central AC. Not too bad overall. Working on getting tree removal scheduled, roof assessed, fence quotes and fixed.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 09-03-21, 01:13 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Keep close watch for infection on that dog bite.

Glad you're safe Flatballer - stuff is replaceable.

For small tools still very common (blowers, weed eaters, saws).
Old 09-03-21, 01:30 PM
big john

2-strokes are making a comeback.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-03-21, 02:07 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I thought pollution control regulations had essentially squashed them.
Old 09-03-21, 02:40 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
A friend once told me that the key to happiness in life is to minimize the number of internal combustion engines that you own. This friend owned something like 12 engines ranging from a weed whacker to a Cessna so he definitely didn't live by his own proverb.

Glad you are safe Flatballer, but sorry for the damage and the headaches.
Likes For cmh:
Old 09-03-21, 02:52 PM
big john

I thought pollution control regulations had essentially squashed them.
In California they are still legal for off-road use but the latest is they will be unable to sell them after 2021. Street use, yes,gone long ago, emissions too high. The fuel injected two strokes are a lot cleaner than the carburated ones.

In motocross racing, 4 strokes were allowed to compete against the two strokes by using an engine with double the displacement of the 2 stroke. This led to intense r&d of 4 stroke engines and the chassis for these bikes. When I stopped riding motorcycles the 4 stroke bikes were a lot heavier than available 2 strokes, like 30 or 40 pounds. Now the 4 strokes are lighter than those old 2 strokes.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-03-21, 02:53 PM
big john

Originally Posted by cmh
A friend once told me that the key to happiness in life is to minimize the number of internal combustion engines that you own. This friend owned something like 12 engines ranging from a weed whacker to a Cessna so he definitely didn't live by his own proverb.

Glad you are safe Flatballer, but sorry for the damage and the headaches.
I'm down to one engine now. I don't know if that's made me any happier but it saves money.
Old 09-03-21, 06:35 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by big john
I'm down to one engine now. I don't know if that's made me any happier but it saves money.
There's something to be said for an electric tool that just works every single time. I'll eventually switch everything over, it's all getting much better

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.