Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cino MMXXI

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 02:41 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Ok got a break from about a billion work emails

this was a great trip for me....3100 miles of driving saw brothers in bozeman and helena and my dad in chinook

Rode south of chinook in rolling hills and realized that it was going to be a challenge (altitude, not enough hills, and too much weight)

So I hit Wheatons and got help getting a cog loose on a ug cassette so I could do a Montessori parking lot cog and rear derailer change, gugie was there to witness...of course I said I was glad the rain was done, 30 seconds later we got thunder and sleet then hail then lots of rain .. can see bike on back of car barely with plastic bag over the brooks

then on to symes.which was great, sorta like the shining but scarier

day one ride was an event for sure from start, to helping davester , to riding with ollo_ollo , to pranza by water falls. I made it to 35 miles and 3000 ft of climbing and bonked. I walked a bit and had to call it, and looked up and the support team was at the top of the hill checking on me It was the smart call, but I am still proud of what i did..... more training and weight loss before next year

rode back with rccardr and passed out my spare tubes and patch kit
end of day one1 happy and ready for next year (look at dust) and when i rolled the bike into the garage last night, clear that the rear wheel is not as true as it used to be...Cino is hard, good, worth it

day 2 I helped out.with lunch .. Kelly the volunteer drove the van into the field like a native montanan, the first riders were getting there as we were setting up

the people were all the best, riders, volunteers, dogs, BF members, non riders everone. So cool to meet people in real life

post day 2 beer Virginia, ingrid, and most of the BF guys

Bozeman Crew and me, turns out they now by brother, sister in law and niece

bozeman crew turns out they know my brother, sister in law and niece, (any case anyone did not hear at lunch )

davester Day2 breakfast, bruised by smiling

more BF, this is a scary bunch

thanks mountaindave and your whole crew of volunteers nothing but smiles, hard work and good vibes. looking forward to next year as I now have my treasured first cino tag

Old 09-01-21, 04:14 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Ok got a break from about a billion work emails

this was a great trip for me....3100 miles of driving saw brothers in bozeman and helena and my dad in chinook

Rode south of chinook in rolling hills and realized that it was going to be a challenge (altitude, not enough hills, and too much weight)

So I hit Wheatons and got help getting a cog loose on a ug cassette so I could do a Montessori parking lot cog and rear derailer change, gugie was there to witness...of course I said I was glad the rain was done, 30 seconds later we got thunder and sleet then hail then lots of rain .. can see bike on back of car barely with plastic bag over the brooks

then on to symes.which was great, sorta like the shining but scarier

day one ride was an event for sure from start, to helping davester , to riding with ollo_ollo , to pranza by water falls. I made it to 35 miles and 3000 ft of climbing and bonked. I walked a bit and had to call it, and looked up and the support team was at the top of the hill checking on me It was the smart call, but I am still proud of what i did..... more training and weight loss before next year

rode back with rccardr and passed out my spare tubes and patch kit
end of day one1 happy and ready for next year (look at dust) and when i rolled the bike into the garage last night, clear that the rear wheel is not as true as it used to be...Cino is hard, good, worth it

day 2 I helped out.with lunch .. Kelly the volunteer drove the van into the field like a native montanan, the first riders were getting there as we were setting up

the people were all the best, riders, volunteers, dogs, BF members, non riders everone. So cool to meet people in real life.

post day 2 beer Virginia,

more BF, this is a scary bunch
thanks mountaindave and your whole crew of volunteers nothing but smiles, hard work and good vibes. looking forward to next year as I now have my treasured first cino tag
It was great to meet you, Jim. Thanks for the support and encouragement on the second day. We hope to to see you again at a future Cino!
Likes For Roger M:
Old 09-01-21, 06:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Ross Rocks! He did the ride on a Brompton in a tweed sport coat one year!
I believe that would have been 2016, but cannot find the pic to prove it.

edit: Can't find the tweed shot.
But this year's edition must be ' kinder and gentler' = no Ride of Shame certificates.

Wear it w/ pride is my motto

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-01-21 at 06:47 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 09-01-21, 06:34 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by wildwood
i believe that would have been 2016, but cannot find the pic to prove it.
2013!
Old 09-01-21, 06:39 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I believe that would have been 2016, but cannot find the pic to prove it.
It was a Moulton in 2014, Cino VII winner of the "Im glad I'm not riding THAT guy's bike" Award:
Cino Hero by Cino Rider, on Flickr
Likes For northbend:
Old 09-01-21, 08:41 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Finally the fuzziness of the opioids and concussion has dissipated enough for me to post a few photos and give thanks to the many people who helped me out after my crash, most of whom I cannot remember at this point in time. Despite having my Cino cut short, I still had a great time. The hospitality of the hosts was fantastic, the company of BF and non-BF riders was much appreciated, and the scenery was epic. Sure would have been nice to have had one of Doc's martinis too, but it was not to be. Nice weather too, especially after driving in through some epic Oregon smoke clouds and during some pretty intense rainfall the previous afternoon. Somebody above suggested that I might give a good account of my crash just before lunch on the first day. Unfortunately, that memory is not available to my concussion-addled mind. All I remember is coasting along a beautiful dirt road, immediately followed by being on the ground with a rather severe pain in my left shoulder, being asked confusing and at the time unanswerable questions such as what day of the week it was and how I had travelled to Montana.

I must give a huge shout out to Jen, the wife of Jeremy the fixie rider and a teacher at a Kalispell Montessori. She not only drove me to the hospital, but kept me company and lifted my spirits through conversation until quite late Saturday night. Talking to her also seemed to bring most of my missing memories back, though some things are still pretty fuzzy.

So, without further ado, here are some photos. Sorry, but a helmet photo is not included...it got ditched in a hospital trash can.

The day looks to be starting out well!

Mountain Dave setting the (great) tone.

Riders at the ready

Atala Man

My bike valet "Your Cinelli, sir!"

They're off!

Smilin' Thor

The first turn...

...and away they go!

Stupendous mountain scenery

Last edited by davester; 09-02-21 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-01-21, 08:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Maybe more than one tweeder over the years, I'd bet.

Seems i remember a distinctive hat to go with other proper gentleman's audax cycling attire.
Old 09-01-21, 09:08 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Continued...

Happy rider!

Mortician's helper, bacon lady, and other ne'er do wells

Thor and Bob

Thor and Bob, off course in the forest

Hopelessly off the course!

"Hey, this isn't what I ordered! Where's my martini? Who are you people?" Dedicated medics render aid to deranged patient.

This is sooo embarrassing!

The bike and helmet looked way better than this!

Last edited by davester; 09-01-21 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-01-21, 09:29 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Continued...

This is sooo embarrassing!

The bike and helmet looked way better than this!
Dang - you did a number on that clavicle. Glad you are ok! And thankful so many people were there to help out.

Old 09-01-21, 09:44 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
The harder the ride, the fewer the pix I take. I'll share a couple, I have others that are more or less what you've already seen in this thread.
@squirtdad wants a photo of him in the parking lot at the Montessori School registration. Alright, here he is changing his gearing:

Alright, I've heard of midnight builds, but this was the first parking lot build I've witnessed. As he noted earlier, 30 minutes later it was hailing marbles.

My first Cino I walked up a good chunk of 9 mile hill. I noted then that my handlebars were too low, angering my back, so the Wednesday before leaving I swapped handlebars and stem with a 9cm Technomics (thanks @Andy_K!) and 44cm wide bars, and it made all the difference. Didn't walk any of the ride this year. On the last downhill I snapped this 1964 Ford pickup that matched my ride.

Unlike Eroica, Cino has a very organic feel to it. It's small enough that I felt I knew all the riders. It's so cool that the few that didn't finish Day 1 volunteered to help out on Day 2.

Where else can you ride up a long gravel climb and find someone cooking bacon for you, all yours for a poem or a trick? Stay at a skanky hotel, no shower, but pools of hot spring water that are labelled hot, hotter, and hottest? Looking up and seeing Big Skies at every turn and straightaway. Riding through a high meadow road, dodging rocks, dips, and puddles as if you were piloting the Millenium Falcon coming out of hyperdrive in an asteroid belt. Seeing a sign that says Pranza (Italian for lunch) next to a "No trespassing. I have a gun and a back hoe", and deciding to turn, thinking What Could Possibly Go Wrong?, dodging fresh cow pies, and being rewarded by a sumptuous lunch next to a gorgeous waterfall. Having a great dinner with what are now 60 of your best friends, knowing that a soak in the hot springs is next. Riding 20 miles the next morning to pranza and thinking, wow, that was a quick 20...with 9 Mile Hill next. Making it to the top of said hill and having someone hand you a beer and a martini. Flying down the backside of the hill, finally retracing yesterday's route back to the tiny village of Kila to celebrate a tough, beautiful, wonderful ride.
@mountaindave got maybe 10 hours of sleep in 2 days putting on this shindig, and I'll forever be grateful to him for keeping the spirit of Cino alive.
Old 09-02-21, 01:32 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
davester Thanks for posting - it proves you're on the road to recovery and still have a sense of humor about things! It was nice to talk a bit before the off, and I'm sorry to have missed your appearance at Alamedas. I was, however, relieved to hear you were okay and out of the hospital by Sunday. You got some fantastic pics, too, before the unfortunate event. Hope the healing goes well and you're back on a bike soon, training for next year

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-02-21, 08:26 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
Thanks Matt. I believe(according to mountaindave)Thomas is the youngest rider to complete both days of Cino.

One other thing has also come to my attention:
The only reason Thomas rode Cino was so he could drink at least eight sodas over the course of two days...
Thomas is indeed the youngest full-Cino rider. I discovered that one other local couple did complete a full Cino on a Cino tandem, but we can say that Thomas is also the youngest tandem Cino rider! Riding a tandem makes you both heroic!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 09-02-21, 09:05 AM
BenottoGuy

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

Unlike Eroica, Cino has a very organic feel to it. It's small enough that I felt I knew all the riders. It's so cool that the few that didn't finish Day 1 volunteered to help out on Day 2.

Where else can you ride up a long gravel climb and find someone cooking bacon for you, all yours for a poem or a trick? Stay at a skanky hotel, no shower, but pools of hot spring water that are labelled hot, hotter, and hottest? Looking up and seeing Big Skies at every turn and straightaway. Riding through a high meadow road, dodging rocks, dips, and puddles as if you were piloting the Millenium Falcon coming out of hyperdrive in an asteroid belt. Seeing a sign that says Pranza (Italian for lunch) next to a "No trespassing. I have a gun and a back hoe", and deciding to turn, thinking What Could Possibly Go Wrong?, dodging fresh cow pies, and being rewarded by a sumptuous lunch next to a gorgeous waterfall. Having a great dinner with what are now 60 of your best friends, knowing that a soak in the hot springs is next. Riding 20 miles the next morning to pranza and thinking, wow, that was a quick 20...with 9 Mile Hill next. Making it to the top of said hill and having someone hand you a beer and a martini. Flying down the backside of the hill, finally retracing yesterday's route back to the tiny village of Kila to celebrate a tough, beautiful, wonderful ride.
@mountaindave got maybe 10 hours of sleep in 2 days putting on this shindig, and I'll forever be grateful to him for keeping the spirit of Cino alive.
Would definitely like to echo this sentiment! What a fantastic weekend, and the spirit of camaraderie amongst the group of riders and volunteers (you guys rock!!) really makes this event special. Cino 2021 provided a mental and physical challenge like none other I’ve experienced on a bike. It was truly a pleasure grinding through it all you great lot of folks. Thanks again to Dave and all the volunteers that made this year’s ride possible. I look meeting you all again at Cino 2022! I leave you with the 3 valuable lessons I’ve learned from this year’s ride:

1. Thou shalt not attempt gravel on 700x25 clinchers with anything less than 100 psi in the tubes
2. Front brakes are superfluous
3. Bacon and cola > cliff bars and energy gels
Once I hit the 10 post minimum for newbies, I'll post my full trip report with pictures. Cheers!

- Derek, aka Benotto Guy, aka 5 flats and no front brake guy
Old 09-02-21, 09:32 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by BenottoGuy
Would definitely like to echo this sentiment! What a fantastic weekend, and the spirit of camaraderie amongst the group of riders and volunteers (you guys rock!!) really makes this event special. Cino 2021 provided a mental and physical challenge like none other I’ve experienced on a bike. It was truly a pleasure grinding through it all you great lot of folks. Thanks again to Dave and all the volunteers that made this year’s ride possible. I look meeting you all again at Cino 2022! I leave you with the 3 valuable lessons I’ve learned from this year’s ride:

1. Thou shalt not attempt gravel on 700x25 clinchers with anything less than 100 psi in the tubes
Once I hit the 10 post minimum for newbies, I'll post my full trip report with pictures. Cheers!

Good to meet you Derek, and welcome to Bike Forums!

I think I saw Andy with an allen wrench and a rock hammering your brakes back together. I've always heard that all you really need to take on a trip for repairs is duct tape and tie-wraps, but that might be taking it too far! Anybody got that pic?
Old 09-02-21, 10:09 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Anyone want to give a lowdown on what tires you used, what size, psi, and how they performed?
Old 09-02-21, 10:37 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by BenottoGuy

ah but no flats day2 correct? all five were day one

Old 09-02-21, 10:40 AM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Anyone want to give a lowdown on what tires you used, what size, psi, and how they performed?
for me Panaracer Gravel kings in 28mm. (conti race lite tubes and velox tape) around 100psi (didn't really check). No flats. on MA40 rims I am 238 or so. I had no issues with them, they with had good traction and held up to the pounding of the down hills.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-02-21, 10:58 AM
BenottoGuy

Originally Posted by gugie
Good to meet you Derek, and welcome to Bike Forums!

I think I saw Andy with an allen wrench and a rock hammering your brakes back together. I've always heard that all you really need to take on a trip for repairs is duct tape and tie-wraps, but that might be taking it too far! Anybody got that pic?
Ha, yep! That rear nut needed a little extra coaxing to fit in the fork!
Likes For BenottoGuy:
Old 09-02-21, 10:59 AM
BenottoGuy

Originally Posted by squirtdad
ah but no flats day2 correct? all five were day one
A mechanical and flat free day 2! Those zipties and some extra air in the tubes did the trick.
Likes For BenottoGuy:
Old 09-02-21, 11:04 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
After talking to gugie last night I definitely want to do this next year despite the sketch motel and sulfuric odors. Martinis at the top FTW!
Old 09-02-21, 11:21 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
I rode Conti Gatorskins 32mm at 100psi. Flatted once before we even hit the gravel on day one. The "Fuji guy" that borrowed my bike after pranza got another flat fairly close to Hot Springs, but still on the gravel.

I might actually ride tubulars next year!
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 09-02-21, 12:42 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
Thanks for letting us share vicariously the experience. Maybe next year.
I decided to go big (35c) for Cino. These were just all around great at around 60 psi. No flats or loss of pressure over the two days. I think I could’ve dropped the pressure to 50 psi without issue.

Old 09-02-21, 12:44 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Drillium Dude
Outstanding pictures, as usual!

You've captured the essence of Cino.
Old 09-02-21, 12:46 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 6,684 Times in 2,609 Posts
I was on 700 x 32mm Compass/Herse Stampede Pass tires. I left them quite soft, maybe about 50 psi? Did get a snake-bite pinch flat on the long gravel descent on day 1. But I'd use those tires again. Initially, I was going to bring a bike with 650B x 38mm tires, but the extra cush really wasn't needed (for me, at least).
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-02-21, 12:52 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Jack Brown 33.333's at ~50psi, no flats this year, 2 flats on same tires 2 years ago, so I average one flat per Cino.

Most rides like this I tell people to ride the fattest tire that'll fit. But that ain't Cino.
For Cino, however, which is all about bringing the wrong tool for the job, I'd encourage you to ride the skinniest tire you have faith in. That's Cino.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.