Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.3

Old 09-02-21, 02:32 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This is my biggest stumbling block/objection to climbing (other than being a fat ass) - I feel like I should be moving along at a decent clip with FTP-ish efforts, so to be crawling along offends my sensibilities.

That said, I've never endured a "real" climb, and I'm sure that I would feel some sense of satisfaction upon cresting after a long effort.
Once the gradient gets into the double digits, I feel like even it's still crawling along even for the super fit.... And that just isn't fun IMO!

A low gradient climb with favorable wind (no headwind) can be enjoyable if the scenery is nice, I'll admit that much. Sunrise Hwy in San Diego is like 5% avg and often has a tailwind, and it is nice to climb from desert chaparral into a more coniferous/mountain ecology.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 09-02-21, 02:32 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
Or maybe "climaxing," is a better word? That would explain datlas' love of climbing.

Old 09-02-21, 02:44 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts

That said, I've never endured a "real" climb, and I'm sure that I would feel some sense of satisfaction upon cresting after a long effort.
I've done some of the climbs in the eastern Sierra Nevada. This pic is from the climb to the Ancient Bristlecone Forrest. Gains 6000 feet in about 25 miles. Tops out at 10K but there is a dirt road up to 14K. One of my friends did that part on his mtb. It's actually the White Mountains.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-02-21, 02:48 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,190 Posts
This is my biggest stumbling block/objection to climbing (other than being a fat ass) - I feel like I should be moving along at a decent clip with FTP-ish efforts, so to be crawling along offends my sensibilities.

It takes patience, which most times I lack. I want the climb over....now! If I had any decent climbs around me I would like to do them. But no such luck. The couple of vacations and work/travel that I did with my bike were awesome. I loved California, it was great. I did some awesome climbs while I was there. Kentucky is a blast. More rollers than mountains.
Old 09-02-21, 02:55 PM
big john

A different year we went up to Lake Sabrina, South lake, and North Lake, Not quite as high at 9200' but a lot more climbing/mileage. It's really very memorable and satisfying. Especially being heavier than everyone else. Here is my friend taking a pic on the way up.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-02-21, 03:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by TMonk
Once the gradient gets into the double digits, I feel like even it's still crawling along even for the super fit.... And that just isn't fun IMO!

A low gradient climb with favorable wind (no headwind) can be enjoyable if the scenery is nice, I'll admit that much. Sunrise Hwy in San Diego is like 5% avg and often has a tailwind, and it is nice to climb from desert chaparral into a more coniferous/mountain ecology.
I am trying to think of some good double-digit climbs in my area. There is one that FEELS like it's 12-14% in some sections, but the Strava segment says the climb is "only" 9.1% and 1/2 mile long. I do think an ideal pitch is somewhere in the 5-8% range, but you gotta have some variety.
Likes For datlas:
Old 09-02-21, 03:12 PM
big john

A couple more from eastern Sierra trips. The view climbing to Whitney Portal just as you enter the canyon. Shortish day but lots of steep.

Then there's an easy day up Rock Creek.

I'd love to go back up there if my body would cooperate.
Old 09-02-21, 03:16 PM
big john

Originally Posted by datlas
I am trying to think of some good double-digit climbs in my area. There is one that FEELS like it's 12-14% in some sections, but the Strava segment says the climb is "only" 9.1% and 1/2 mile long. I do think an ideal pitch is somewhere in the 5-8% range, but you gotta have some variety.
After Baldy Village the road gains 2000 feet in 4 miles. It's tough for me because in addition to already having over 5k in my legs, there are extended sections of 15%.
Old 09-02-21, 03:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk

I find tailwinds to be a bad thing on climbs, because they don't really push you much but they do rob you of a lot of cooling.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-02-21, 03:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts

I have. The feeling of satisfaction was little reward for the amount of suffering that preceded the satisfaction. IMO, YMMV.
Old 09-02-21, 03:22 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Having to take a few days off of the bike isn't always fun, but man is it nice to ride with fresh legs.
I had ridden myself in to a hole and the miles were compounded by heat and hay fever. I thought I was going to have to chain my bike up if I didn't change my ways. I finally took Sunday off and then rode a club ride with slow riders on Monday. Legs felt better on Tuesday. Had a forced day off yesterday for doc appointments. Got up this morning to 55-60Ί temps and light winds and my legs were golden. Rode with my retired racer buddies and was even dropping the skinny guys on the short punchy hills.

Taking another day off, ride 35-40 on Saturday and then heading for Door County next week and if my 70 year old legs feel fresh, it may be a 275 mile week so leaderboard watchers should plan ahead.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 09-02-21, 03:27 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by LAJ
See there? You're catching my drift. I'm tempted to do the same here. We're on a tiered water plan, because they have to pay for the increased capacity for all the multi-family dwellings they're building. Permanent construction adding big ol honkin water infrastructure. Gotta have that tax base, you know.
You could pea gravel your front yard; I've seen a lot of that in Europe, especially Ireland.

Old 09-02-21, 03:35 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Strδva percentages are weird. Many of our short bluff hills are double digit; I know because I've surveyed several of them. or have plans to verify the grades. Strava almost always halves the gradient, especially in segments. They aren't even close.

Old 09-02-21, 03:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
The view climbing to Whitney Portal just as you enter the canyon. Shortish day but lots of steep.

I did the Death Valley - Mt. Whitney Road Race three times. Day 1 is Stovepipe Wells to Lone Pine. You start at 0' elevation and immediately start climbing to 5000', followed by a wide open descent to Panamint Springs (where I hit my fastest-ever speed of 60mph). Then another climb and rollers to Lone Pine - 80 mi / 9000+'. Day 2 is Lone Pine to Whitney Portal via some loops through the Alabama Hills - 20mi, 5000+'. I thought Day 2 was harder. Been there. Done that. No more, thank you.
Old 09-02-21, 03:37 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Strδva percentages are weird. Many of our short bluff hills are double digit; I know because I've surveyed several of them. or have plans to verify the grades. Strava almost always halves the gradient, especially in segments. They aren't even close.
I believe it. That segment feels like 15% for about 500 feet. I have to stand up in my bailout gear (34/28) to make it.
Old 09-02-21, 03:56 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Eric F
I did the Death Valley - Mt. Whitney Road Race three times. Day 1 is Stovepipe Wells to Lone Pine. You start at 0' elevation and immediately start climbing to 5000', followed by a wide open descent to Panamint Springs (where I hit my fastest-ever speed of 60mph). Then another climb and rollers to Lone Pine - 80 mi / 9000+'. Day 2 is Lone Pine to Whitney Portal via some loops through the Alabama Hills - 20mi, 5000+'. I thought Day 2 was harder. Been there. Done that. No more, thank you.
This is from somewhere up there looking back toward Lone Pine. The Alluvial Fan, or Plain, is ridiculous. I just remember grinding for long time without feeling like I was getting closer to the mountain.If you turn around and look back you can see it. It's a relief when you finally get to the canyon.

The only other time I had that feeling quite that bad was in the Tejon Pass when 2 of us were riding from hwy 138 to Gorman into a strong headwind. It just didn't seem to be getting any closer for a long time.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-02-21, 04:13 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
You sure seem focused on "nookie" and its relatives these days. Everything okay at home?
Oh, everything is a-okay - some of us are still young enough to have libidos.
Old 09-02-21, 04:13 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Incorrect.

Sit up a little, find the right gear/rhythm, and it's the best. The best, Jerry! THE BEST!!
Pffft. Phooey.
Old 09-02-21, 04:21 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts

That said, I've never endured a "real" climb, and I'm sure that I would feel some sense of exhaustion upon cresting after a long effort.
Yeah, me too.
Old 09-02-21, 04:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by big john
This is from somewhere up there looking back toward Lone Pine. The Alluvial Fan, or Plain, is ridiculous. I just remember grinding for long time without feeling like I was getting closer to the mountain.If you turn around and look back you can see it. It's a relief when you finally get to the canyon.

The only other time I had that feeling quite that bad was in the Tejon Pass when 2 of us were riding from hwy 138 to Gorman into a strong headwind. It just didn't seem to be getting any closer for a long time.
Back when I was doing a lot more climbing, I did West Alpine from Pescadero Road to Skyline in the Santa Cruz Mountains. It was the first (and so far ONLY) time I'd ever ridden it, I had no GPS, and the whole time I don't think I saw even one car, and maybe one or two other cyclists. It's a longish climb that just keeps going and going and going. It was a little creepy, and I was really relieved to arrive at Skyline, let me tell you!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-02-21, 04:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That said, I've never endured a "real" climb, and I'm sure that I would feel some sense of nausea upon cresting after a long effort.
Ftfy

My way of telling if I pushed hard enough on the climb is whether I want to throw up at the top. If I actually throw up, that was too hard.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-02-21, 04:43 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Ftfy

My way of telling if I pushed hard enough on the climb is whether I want to throw up at the top. If I actually throw up, that was too hard.
​​​​​​So pretty much the same as yesterday at the Fair, when my kid wanted me to ride the Tilt-a-Whirl with him, and get it really spinning.
Old 09-02-21, 04:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

​​​​​​So pretty much the same as yesterday at the Fair, when my kid wanted me to ride the Tilt-a-Whirl with him, and get it really spinning.
Yes, but I usually don't eat a couple corn dogs and a funnel cake before a climb.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-02-21, 05:16 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 386 Posts
What's this climbing you speak of? I'm sure I'm allergic to that.
Likes For gnome:
Old 09-02-21, 05:43 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
I believe it. That segment feels like 15% for about 500 feet. I have to stand up in my bailout gear (34/28) to make it.
Rode the commuting bike for 30 mi over some of my workout roads today, with a backpack and all. It has a compact front and a 11-28. I really liked the way the 28 felt on the steepest section. I had previously thought it was too low, but I want one for the plastic bike now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.