Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Selling my tandem and I need some advice on pricing

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 09-16-21, 08:48 PM
DanRH 

Bikes: Da Vinci Joint Venture 700 Tandem, Volagi Liscio Carbon Single, IF Steel Crown Jewel Single, Lemond Fillmore Fixie, Ritchey Breakaway steel single, Bontrager hardtail MTB Single

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey All,
It's been a while since I've posted here but that will change. My wife and hot just plunked down some cash on a new Ritchey Breakaway tandem frame that we were able to find at an on-line bike store. Personally I was really surprised they had one because I've been told Ritchey doesn't build them anymore. I'm having a local guy build it up for us. We're excited because we use our Ritchey Breakaway singles when we travel all the time. Now we can travel with the tandem.

We currently have a 10 year old DaVinci Joint Venture 700 that we bought new in very good condition. I wanted to get a feel on what they are going for and my on-line searching didn't find any. So, any tandem experts here that can help me determine a price range to start at. I'm not a big believer on pricing it too high and have it sit for I don't have the room for two tandems.

If this isn't the correct forum, I apologize in advance.

Thanks!

My wife and I on the top of Mt. Diablo
Old 09-16-21, 10:18 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Nice looking bike. You just need the right couple to be interested. I sold a friend's tandem on a ferry ride. The right people and the right size people and traded numbers and gave to friend. I got a nice dinner out of it. Good luck.
Old 09-17-21, 12:43 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
Try posting on the Tandem part of the forum. Did you look into having couplers put on your current Tandem at all .
Old 09-17-21, 08:44 AM
DanRH 

Bikes: Da Vinci Joint Venture 700 Tandem, Volagi Liscio Carbon Single, IF Steel Crown Jewel Single, Lemond Fillmore Fixie, Ritchey Breakaway steel single, Bontrager hardtail MTB Single

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Rick, yes I saw the Tandem forum after I posted here and submitted a request to the mods to move it there.

No, we didn’t even consider couplers for the DaVinci frankly because we’re so sold on the Ritchey Breakaway concept. They supply the bags and the Breakaway design is very familiar to me, it made sense.
Old 09-17-21, 09:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Selling still gets back to it's worth what the buyers you are able to attract are willing to pay. Or, it's worth to you the price you are unwilling to sell below.

Will it do you any good to know it's worth more money than the offers if you aren't able to find those people willing to spend that much for it?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-18-21, 04:49 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
I moved the thread from General to Tandem. It may get more responses here. Also, DanRH if you decide to sell the tandem, since you are a paid member, you may used the tandem marketplace located under the Tandem Forum. Good luck.
Old 09-18-21, 09:11 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
There are a few da Vinci's for sale around the country currently, priced between $1500 (older, v-brakes, bar con shifters) and $4500 (newer, carbon fork, STI/ergo shifters, disk brakes). The better photographed ones seem to sell faster, regardless of price.
We bought our current bike, an early 2000's da Vinci In-2-tion for $1500 plus shipping from Maine earlier this year. It's an older model than yours with lower level components, but is coupled and came with cases and a coupler wrench (one hard, one soft).
While I like the idea of this forum having a stronger sale/wanted section, I found tandemclassifieds, craigslist, an FB marketplace had a lot more activity when I was conducting our tandem search.
As I'm sure you are aware, there's also an inverse relationship between sale price and patience.
Old 09-22-21, 01:47 PM
pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I would think $3,500 would be a fair price for all parties for a 2010 joint venture w/o couplers but in good condition. If it had couplers and a case, I would buy it off of you right now for $5,500.
Likes For pm124: