Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

beginner cassette troubleshooting

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

beginner cassette troubleshooting

Old 09-19-21, 08:26 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I can’t disagree more. Start with the spacers. The problem cyrano138 describes is that the cassette is loose. Start with the simple problems before moving on to something more complicated.
I believe that this is the correct approach. Earlier on the OP said: "I didn't have the spacers handy for a photo but they are 1 mm spacers and there are two of them all together. They seem to be in good shape."
Spacers should be checked first before doing anything else, two 1mm spacers are insufficient

Last edited by alcjphil; 09-19-21 at 08:42 AM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-19-21, 08:58 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
I can’t disagree more. Start with the spacers. The problem cyrano138 describes is that the cassette is loose. Start with the simple problems before moving on to something more complicated.
I guess you missed the “If it were me” part.

At my age I don’t want to waste my time on an older used hub that I have no clue as to the history, or maintenance, especially if it appears to have been neglected. I’d like to know what I have first.

So, if it were me, I’d open up the hub to see what I have. If the cones and races look good, I’ll remove the freehub body, soak it, and re-lube it.

If the races are toast, I won’t bother mounting a cassette on a wheel I don’t feel I would want to use.

IIRC, you use White hubs. You can’t tell me you would get spacers, mount a cassette, and blindly ride that wheel just hoping for the best.

John
Old 09-20-21, 12:24 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I guess you missed the “If it were me” part.
Do you fix a flat tire by taking the wheel apart, relacing, retensioning, and truing it? That’s a bit like what you are suggesting here.

At my age I don’t want to waste my time on an older used hub that I have no clue as to the history, or maintenance, especially if it appears to have been neglected. I’d like to know what I have first.
At my age and experience, I can assess if a used hub has been neglected. I have run across very few freehubs that are bad. Freehub bodies are extremely rugged. I also start at the simplest solution and work from there. While it might be worth rebuilding the hub, the problem isn’t solved by rebuilding. Rebuild later but fix the immediate problem.

So, if it were me, I’d open up the hub to see what I have. If the cones and races look good, I’ll remove the freehub body, soak it, and re-lube it.

If the races are toast, I won’t bother mounting a cassette on a wheel I don’t feel I would want to use.
Again, perhaps a good idea but it doesn’t solve the problem.

IIRC, you use White hubs. You can’t tell me you would get spacers, mount a cassette, and blindly ride that wheel just hoping for the best.
I’ve done it many times…and not just with White Industries hubs. I have 30 year old Ringles, Hadleys, and Phil Wood. I even have used used Shimano. Frankly, I’ve never taken a body off for my own personal wheels nor have I ever rebuilt one. I’ve never found the need. With a cartridge hub, you use them until the bearings seize. If the bearings seize, the bearings are replaced. The freehub body has cartridge bearings inside which are treated the same way.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-16-21, 04:57 PM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts
Update: Finally got around to this project today. Swapped out the 1mm spacer behind the cassette for a 4ish mm spacer, tightened it down and now it's fixed. The only play is from the free hub body.

Just out of curiosity, is it normal for there to be some play in the cassette if you twist it? Like if you grab the largest cog with one hand and the smallest with the other and twist like you're opening a mayonnaise jar, and there is movement, is that normal? It doesn't seem to affect the way it moves now that it's reinstalled, but it does look to be an original cassette with a lot of wear on it.
Old 10-17-21, 10:02 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by cyrano138
Update: Finally got around to this project today. Swapped out the 1mm spacer behind the cassette for a 4ish mm spacer, tightened it down and now it's fixed. The only play is from the free hub body.

Just out of curiosity, is it normal for there to be some play in the cassette if you twist it? Like if you grab the largest cog with one hand and the smallest with the other and twist like you're opening a mayonnaise jar, and there is movement, is that normal? It doesn't seem to affect the way it moves now that it's reinstalled, but it does look to be an original cassette with a lot of wear on it.
The cogs on the cassette should be solidly in place without any movement. Are cogs loose or are they pinned together? There are often rivets or threaded pins keeping the cogs together. If you freehub body is worn, this might help with the looseness of the gears. You may still need to replace the body if that doesn’t work but I’d try pinning the cogs if they aren’t first. Always go for the cheap and easy fixes first.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-17-21, 10:07 AM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts
The cogs on the cassette should be solidly in place without any movement. Are cogs loose or are they pinned together? There are often rivets or threaded pins keeping the cogs together. If you freehub body is worn, this might help with the looseness of the gears. You may still need to replace the body if that doesn’t work but I’d try pinning the cogs if they aren’t first. Always go for the cheap and easy fixes first.
They're riveted together. I just kind of figured the cassette is nearing the end of its life. I'm not usually a toss-it-and-replace-it kind of guy but drilling out the rivets and replacing them seems like more work than it's worth for a 25 year old cassette that's seen some heavy miles.
Even if I I'm(or the next owner) tosses it, I'm happy I got the spacing issues sorted out. It gave me a chance to take it apart and made me do some research on cassette servicing in general.
Old 10-17-21, 11:38 AM
cyccommute 

They're riveted together. I just kind of figured the cassette is nearing the end of its life. I'm not usually a toss-it-and-replace-it kind of guy but drilling out the rivets and replacing them seems like more work than it's worth for a 25 year old cassette that's seen some heavy miles.
Even if I I'm(or the next owner) tosses it, I'm happy I got the spacing issues sorted out. It gave me a chance to take it apart and made me do some research on cassette servicing in general.
There’s not a lot to do to the cassette itself. There’s not much that can go wrong. If the cogs have side to side movement, it’s likely the splines that have been damaged. It happens.

Old 10-17-21, 05:02 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts

A little bit of play between the freehub and the rest of the wheel is fine. Thinking about what the freehub (or a freewheel) does, the bearings just allow the cogs to rotate when you're coasting. They're not under load, and they don't have to run perfectly straight, so a bit loose is preferable to a bit tight.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498