Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bob Jackson is done again

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bob Jackson is done again

Old 08-19-21, 10:19 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
That barber pole seat tube makes me dizzy to look at. Just sayin'.

What barber pole would that be?

Last edited by Bad Lag; 08-20-21 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-20-21, 05:35 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Mixed feelings from me that Bob Jackson are no longer trading as I had three custom built 631 frames off them back in 2004 (a fixed wheel, an audax bike and a road bike) and whilst one was perfect the other two were poor. One had lugs that weren't touching the tubes and one had forks that wouldn't take a contemporary Campagnolo front hub (Centaur). Even when using Mavic Ksyriums which fitted OK I had bad fork rub when out of the saddle. Foolishly, I gave them another go in 2007 when I asked them to make me a new frame for PBP and they totally cocked up my order by quoting 3-4 weeks delivery time on a custom build (not off-the-peg) in early March 2007 and then quoting 16-20 weeks when I chased up my order towards the end of the very same month blaming me for asking for Aheadset! They were not too quick getting my deposit cheque refunded either. All in all, a pretty miserable experience.
Old 08-20-21, 02:23 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
looking at your list of bikes, I can't imagine that you were really looking for a Bob Jackson all that much?
I think the Bruce Gordon or DiNucci would be a bit more nicely built.
... but curly stays are pretty cool!!...

I wonder if someone is building Hetchins under license now? The ownership of the brand has moved around a bit since my frame was built.

It does raise the issue of who still builds traditional British steel bikes. I think Mercian is still in business?
Or.. there are plenty of builders in the USA who would build you a very nice frame too! (incl. Mr. DiNucci. I don't think he gets enough publicity)
Mark DiNucci had a cool unpainted frame on display at the 2015 NAHBS. I took a bunch of photos, and they show just how precise his work is. Amazing!

Steve in Peoria (I have many more photos, but don't want to get too far off topic)
Steve, Woodrup is still in the game.
Old 08-21-21, 04:21 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
My Colnago Gravel Bike

Originally Posted by jamesdak
My mid 80's Super has room for the Continental 4000s II 700 x 28 tires which we all know measure out around 30mm wide normally. Bring on the gravel!!

James,

This was my Colnago "Gravel" Bike...

A 1987 Colnago Master Ibex MTB with Columbus OS Gilco tubing and a complete Shimano Deore XT gruppo.

It was an interesting bike but showed that Colnago had no idea about how to build a MTB. It handled terribly off road and was like a super twitchy crit bike on the street. I got rid of it because I didn't need another "collector's item".

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 08-21-21, 04:54 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Sorry for hijacking the thread, getting back on topic...

Not wanting to dance on the grave too much, my first encounter with a Bob Jackson happened one Saturday afternoon in 1977 or 78. A fellow came into our shop with a brand new all Campy Bob Jackson he'd just received from Bikecology Catalog House in Santa Barbra, SoCal.

It had the most beautiful finish I'd seen on a bike up until then and we sold a lot of pro bikes. Black with light tan panels, the white lug lining and striping were perfect plus it had the just the right amount of clear coat to show off the details.

The owner was mad and said it didn't ride right.

I politely took it out for a test ride and turned around at 50 feet because it was pulling so bad that it wanted to go in circles. I brought it back and put it up on the stand, instantly saw the problem. One chain stay was at least 3/4" shorter than the other.

When I showed the owner the problem he got mad at ME, especiallywhen I told him there was nothing we could do and suggested he return the bike to Bikecology.

I was polite and didn't mention that if he had bought the bike from us - for the same money or less - he wouldn't of had to deal with that kind of problem! I also didn't show him which way the door opened!

Bottom line is that a frame that was so well finished and got out of the Bob Jackson shop that way forever coloured my opinion of those bikes. Additionally that someone at Bikecology assembled the bike without noticing the obvious problem???

An LBS is/was a Bob Jackson Dealer. Every time I go in and see a Bob Jackson frame on display I think back to my first encounter! First impressions do matter.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-21-21 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-21-21, 05:26 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
One chain stay was at least 3/4" shorter than the other.
Wow. I had a Hi-Ten Japanese bike boom bike in the early 80s that rode fine but if I pushed it by holding the saddle I could tell there was something askew. I got what I paid for. But 3/4" is hard to imagine for something that should have been of such a high caliber. I would think Stevie Wonder would have noticed that.

Old 09-03-21, 05:14 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 183 Posts
I am in a Bob Jackson Facebook group and the word there is that the Woodrup effort to revive Bob Jackson is dead. I don't know if there is anyone with official knowledge but there is at least one guy with enough connections to have access to the old receipts who has not refuted it. Too bad.