Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Question for bike shop employees

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 06:07 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

For those of you who work either full or or in a shop what type of discount do you get?
Old 06-10-21, 06:35 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Years since I worked in a shop, but the most common scheme was cost + 10%. Depends on the item but this usually worked out to a ~30-40% discount.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-10-21, 07:11 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Last shop I worked at the discount on parts/accessories/clothing was cost + 10%. Complete bikes were only available pro-form. The nice part is the shop still extends me the cost + 10% on any special order parts & accessories even thought I haven't worked there in 5+ years.

Edit: I forgot to include this: I was a mechanic at the last shop. All tools were at cost. Occasionally the owner would give us the tools.

Last edited by RGMN; 06-10-21 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-10-21, 08:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Cost + 10%, as mentioned, is the common discount. I'll add that as a shop owner (in a former life) I did restrict employee purchases in a couple of ways. One was if the product was in short supply. Or if we had too few on hand, I would "strongly suggest" the employee wait for their want to be ordered, to get the discount. The other was when I learned the item wasn't for them but for a friend or a repair they were doing "on the side". Andy
Old 06-10-21, 12:04 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
I guess I was lucky, I got all items at cost.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 06-10-21, 12:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
It really depends on the manufacturer or distributor. Some shops may only allow employee purchase through the shop and some may allow you to do it yourself and some manufacturers require you to go through the shop. In the end I will say it is well worth it to work in a shop not just for discounts but valuable learning and a potentially more fun work environment.
Old 06-10-21, 12:28 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I pay cost + 12% but we can put our purchases bon layaway.
Old 06-10-21, 01:16 PM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Years since I worked in a shop, but the most common scheme was cost + 10%. Depends on the item but this usually worked out to a ~30-40% discount.
So, typical markup in LBS is close to 100% ?
Old 06-10-21, 01:21 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
That depends on what inventory you're talking about. Margins vary widely between parts, bikes, clothing, and accessories.

My discount was cost + 5%.
Old 06-10-21, 01:32 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
Some items are over 100, some are around 20.
Old 06-10-21, 02:23 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
A 100% markup equates to 50% margin. The smalls will be well over that, the big stuff, considerably less. 35% margin on bikes was good when I ran my shop. If your business plan is not predicated on those kind of numbers, be prepared to be laughed out of the bank.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 06-10-21, 03:22 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Cost plus 10% is what I got at Trek. And Trek's cost was far below the bike shops' cost. It took me a long time to get over sticker shock at bike shops.
Old 06-10-21, 03:43 PM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
A 100% markup equates to 50% margin. The smalls will be well over that, the big stuff, considerably less. 35% margin on bikes was good when I ran my shop. If your business plan is not predicated on those kind of numbers, be prepared to be laughed out of the bank.
What that tells me is that direct-to-consumer companies like Canyon should be charging a lot less for their bikes.
Old 06-10-21, 04:28 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
What that tells me is that direct-to-consumer companies like Canyon could be charging a lot less for their bikes.
fify
But it's never really direct to consumer, unless the assembled bike is drop shipped to your door from a factory in China, which I doubt is the case. Just think of the journey the bike's groupset travels before it ends up in your hands (built onto the bike).
Old 06-10-21, 04:33 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Yeah, no drive for them to charge less unless another brand begins to offer similar perceived quality for a lower price.
Old 06-10-21, 06:23 PM
VicBC_Biker

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
fify
But it's never really direct to consumer, unless the assembled bike is drop shipped to your door from a factory in China, which I doubt is the case. Just think of the journey the bike's groupset travels before it ends up in your hands (built onto the bike).
I don't understand ....most bike companies ship to the LBS or perhaps to a distributor and then to the LBS.
So all those markups and expenses are eliminated.
Canyon will ship directly to me. I do final assembly or hire a local company to do the assembly- and Canyon has worked out a 'deal' (with kickbacks, probably) with them.

A website is a lot cheaper than a brick-and-mortar store with all the costs that are involved there.
But I guess I shouldn't feel too sorry for the LBS, since it sounds like new bike sales are the smallest part of their profits.
And when all the LBS here switched their emphasis to e-bikes, that changed my attitude as well.
Old 06-10-21, 06:29 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It really depends on the manufacturer or distributor. Some shops may only allow employee purchase through the shop and some may allow you to do it yourself and some manufacturers require you to go through the shop. In the end I will say it is well worth it to work in a shop not just for discounts but valuable learning and a potentially more fun work environment.
I've been part owner of a shop for 20+ years and worked at a shop for five years before that. Stuff was always sold to employees at cost, but we're fairly aware to add freight charges if needed. Some manufacturers give screaming discounts! And in general, most of the time when you make an employee purchase (bikes or wheels mostly) then they charge your personal credit card, they don't bill it through the shop.
Your math is incorrect.
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Cost plus 10% is what I got at Trek. And Trek's cost was far below the bike shops' cost. It took me a long time to get over sticker shock at bike shops.
We're a Trek Dealer. Gone are the days of 'oh, you're an employee? Here's your discount'. Trek makes you watch a ton of product info videos before you're eligible for the maximum discount. (I'd say you have to watch over 30 hours of videos and pass quizzes to get the max level) But as I said earlier, the max discount is a screaming deal which is probably close to a Trek employee's discount.
Old 06-10-21, 06:39 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
We're a Trek Dealer. Gone are the days of 'oh, you're an employee? Here's your discount'. Trek makes you watch a ton of product info videos before you're eligible for the maximum discount. (I'd say you have to watch over 30 hours of videos and pass quizzes to get the max level) But as I said earlier, the max discount is a screaming deal which is probably close to a Trek employee's discount.
Were you at least watching the videos while on the clock?

I don't think anyone gives out discounts right away. Ours was after 60 days, IIRC.
Old 06-10-21, 06:41 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
One of my local bike shops typically marks what I presume is the wholesale price up by 100%, yes. He's got one of those display counters with a glass top designed to have a computer monitor below it. It's not super easy to see what he's looking at, but he doesn't try to hide it, either, and I can usually see what he's seeing as he's looking something up. For typical commodity parts (like a cassette or something like that) that he'd need to order in, I see his price from QBP or J&G or whatever distributor he's using and the price he quotes me is usually double that price. Exceptions are parts with a controlled MSRP -- like Surly frames or forks as an example. He just ordered me a Surly fork on Saturday and it showed him the same $130 MSRP that I can see on the website or that I can get from any other LBS.

Interestingly, my other LBS would typically quote me prices on things that were closer to what I could find online. Maybe they have the same wholesale price and just mark it up less than the other shop, I don't know.
Old 06-10-21, 06:44 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Besides discounts through the shop you can also get pro deals from Shimano. This requires watching a lot of videos and taking quizes afterwards. We didn't get paid for watching Shimano videos, but the deals are pretty good once you get to the top level.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-10-21 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-10-21, 07:09 PM
Rogerogeroge

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Were you at least watching the videos while on the clock?
WTF you mean by that? I said I was part owner. If you must know, I do the training at night at home.
Old 06-10-21, 07:11 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Besides discounts through the shop you can also get pro deals from Shimano. This requires watching a lot of videos and taking quizes afterwards. We didn't get paid for watching Shimano videos, but the deals are pretty good once you get to the top level.
Can anyone watch these videos to get discounts, or you need to work at a shop too?
Old 06-10-21, 07:13 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
WTF you mean by that? I said I was part owner. If you must know, I do the training at night at home.
I guessed you meant for your employees.
Old 06-10-21, 07:14 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Can anyone watch these videos to get discounts, or you need to work at a shop too?
You have to work at an approved shop. At least that's how it was in 2018 or so.
Old 06-10-21, 07:20 PM
Rogerogeroge

I guessed you meant for your employees.
I don't work in the day-to-day aspect of the shop, I don't think they do, but I would not object if they watched the videos on company time. Especially during off times in the winter. You learn the products watching the vids. But if someone is 'cramming' to buy a bike, then they do it on their own time. Including the owners who work at the shop daily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.