Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Raleigh Marquis Worth/info

Old 08-13-21, 11:44 PM
cometed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Marquis Worth/info

I'm interested in buying a bike that's advertised as a Raleigh Marquis 18 Speed Racing Road Bike. I've searched through the forums and internet and aside from a brief mention of a Raleigh Marquis 3 speed I haven't found any information regarding where this bikes sits in the Raleigh lineup. Does anyone have any additional information about this on performance and what I should expect to pay? The post states the frame is 900 Cromoly Double Butted tubes. I tried including pictures, however, since I just registered I can't.
Old 08-13-21, 11:55 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Pic Assist

Old 08-14-21, 08:57 AM
cometed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank-you for the picture assist.
Old 08-14-21, 11:37 AM
Paul Waque 

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Hard to tell but looks like two chainrings in the front, so would be nine speed rear to get to 18. That seems like too many rear gears to still have downtube shifters. If 9 speed in rear, probably a replacement wheel.
Old 08-14-21, 05:32 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Originally Posted by cometed
Thank-you for the picture assist.
That is a very tall frame are you over 6’ tall?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-15-21, 06:50 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,365 Posts
I think it was a Canadian "made for Canada model" so might not be that well known to the USA folks. It's listed for $240. Again, not sure your size but assume in or around Toronto?? A seller appears to be a flipper so may not know or care how many speeds it is. Most likely, seller has done nothing more than buy it, wipe it off and list it, and so can't answer helpful questions about maintenance history.

There is a more modern Raleigh GP in Oakville at $300 that's been listed on Kijijji for over a month. There is a Raleigh Super GP (with Barcons) in Staynor, near Barrie for $250, listed 6 days ago by a seller with only that listed. That Super GP is British so take non-standard (British parts).

You could check Barrie, Hamilton, Oakville and Oshawa listings as outside of TO is usually cheaper

Remember, John Snow that "Winter is coming". There is a usually a small jump in bike sales and prices in the fall because of students seeking a bike for school. Over winter but generally now is when we start to see prices lower a bit in the GTA. $240 isn't that bad for the GTA but perhaps a few minutes calling the co-ops from Oshawa (Not sure they have one??) all the way west to Hamilton and ask what they have. You might get a deal and it will have been tuned up and off rush hour time you can bring a bike on the Go train back to TO or ride it home....

Last edited by WGB; 08-15-21 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-15-21, 08:28 PM
cometed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, yes I live in Toronto and am 6'3 so the frame is in the general size range I'd ride. Thanks for the tip about looking outside of the GTA, perhaps I will wait until winter when prices have dropped.

Originally Posted by WGB
I think it was a Canadian "made for Canada model" so might not be that well known to the USA folks. It's listed for $240. Again, not sure your size but assume in or around Toronto?? A seller appears to be a flipper so may not know or care how many speeds it is. Most likely, seller has done nothing more than buy it, wipe it off and list it, and so can't answer helpful questions about maintenance history.

There is a more modern Raleigh GP in Oakville at $300 that's been listed on Kijijji for over a month. There is a Raleigh Super GP (with Barcons) in Staynor, near Barrie for $250, listed 6 days ago by a seller with only that listed. That Super GP is British so take non-standard (British parts).

You could check Barrie, Hamilton, Oakville and Oshawa listings as outside of TO is usually cheaper

Remember, John Snow that "Winter is coming". There is a usually a jsmall ump in bike sales and prices in the fall because of students seeking a bike for school. Over winter but generally now is when we start to see prices lower a bit in the GTA. $240 isn't that bad for the GTA but perhaps a few minutes calling the co-ops from Oshawa (Not sure they have one??) all the way west to Hamilton and ask what they have. You might get a deal and it will have been tuned up and off rush hour time you can bring a bike on the Go train back to TO or ride it home....
Old 08-16-21, 05:46 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 58 Posts
The Marathon was never ranked as part of the touring line of Raleighs but at least occasionally was sold with a triple chain ring (hence 18 speeds) and with a special notation of the gearing spread on the chain stay. I have one and enjoy riding it. It is a solid but heavy bike. If you browse Raleigh catalogs in the 82-85? period you will find it (but they never mention the triple chain ring (almost touring configuration). As an investment for making $$, its a bad choice. As a solid bike with miles of use left in it, its great if it fits.
Old 08-16-21, 06:14 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Peruano
The Marathon was never ranked as part of the touring line of Raleighs....
OP is looking at a Marquis, not a Marathon.

Old 08-16-21, 08:45 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
This Marquis appears to be the mid-1980s version, which was around the cross-over between upper entry level and lower mid-range. I'm pretty sure that the Tange 900 applies only to the main tubes, with the forks and stays being hi-tensile steel. Rims, while aluminum, are 27", as opposed to 700C. I believe the non-drive photo is hiding SunTour AR/ARX derailleurs, a Sugino RT crankset and Dia-Compe 500 brakes, which was a common mix for the level. You can see some cost concessions in the 27" rims, clamp style Power shifters, stamped dropouts, exposed brake nuts and non-micro adjust seat post. The saddle looks like it may be a later replacement. IIRC these were Asian manufactured for Raleigh Canada.

I'll echo WGB's sentiments that $250 CDN is actually a good price for this bicycle in the GTA. If it were not for the very tall size, it would probably sell quickly.
Old 08-16-21, 10:39 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 58 Posts
My brain blip; it was early.
Old 08-16-21, 06:47 PM
cometed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! everyone here seems so knowledgeable, I had a suspicion that was made for the Canadian market.