Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Front Fender Rattling

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Front Fender Rattling

Old 09-01-21, 04:58 PM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Front Fender Rattling

I have Planet Bike Cascade 700 x 45 fenders on my touring bike. I like fenders. However, my front fender has been rattling so badly whenever I hit bumps that I temporarily removed the front fender. Now that the fender is off the bike it rattles when I shake it. Is there something I can do to prevent the fender from rattling? Or should I get a different front fender? Thanks
Old 09-01-21, 05:52 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I have cascadia fenders. The greatest source of rattling is at the plastic breakaway tabs because the metal stays can move within the plastic tab. A fix... tighten the front screws while pressing down (rotating down) the front tabs. This forces the metal stays against the plastic and presto...rattling stops. Prior to this, I was ready to remove the tabs and connect directly to the stays. I have never (knock on wood) had a stick lodge itself in the spokes and catch the fender stays.
Old 09-02-21, 08:11 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney
I have Planet Bike Cascade 700 x 45 fenders on my touring bike. I like fenders. However, my front fender has been rattling so badly whenever I hit bumps that I temporarily removed the front fender. Now that the fender is off the bike it rattles when I shake it. Is there something I can do to prevent the fender from rattling? Or should I get a different front fender? Thanks
no one likes a rattling fender, but your question unfortunately falls into the category of "internet people will not be able to figure out the problem" only you in person, with fender in hand, will be able to pinpoint where the sound is coming from and why.
Recently a friends bike front fender was rattling and its cause was the attachment point at the bottom of the fork, a washer was needed to take up space between the bolt and fender stay, but your problem could be elsewhere.

there are not that many contact/rattle possible points on a fender, so you should be able to find the exact area and come up with a solution.
When you pinpoint the spot, show a photo of it and perhaps people here can give suggestions to help.
Old 09-02-21, 09:22 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I sometimes wish my noise problem was as simple as a fender. Noises that you think are from the bottom bracket or pedal can be from over a dozen different places with all kinds of crazy causes.