Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel Saddle recommendation

Old 09-16-21, 01:45 PM
Dr1v3n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Gravel Saddle recommendation

I have Giant Revolt Advanced, which came with a Giant Approach saddle. I actually really like the saddle for roads, and also have the same saddle on my road bike.

However, for medical reasons (dermatitis), I've been instructed by my doctor to not use bike shorts, or any tight-fitting clothing. I'm able to do this without much pain for the most part, especially on road. I've gone on some 1.5 hr rides so far and it seems my sitbone area is tough enough to not really have issues without the padded shorts.

However, on the bumpier gravel stuff, it's a bit concerning as if I accidentally forget to stand up on the bike before hitting something rough, it could jam the hard saddle into my nether-regions. Also, I'm wondering if 3+ hr rides even on road will be a different story as well.

That being said, I'm looking for a "slightly softer" saddle. I don't want one of those huge padded ones which restrict inner thigh movement, but something that is 1 or 2 steps above the Approach in padding might be nice to try.

Any other recommendations appreciated.
Old 09-16-21, 01:57 PM
SilverRubicon

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
I picked up a Bontrager Sport Saddle for my commuter after reading the Outdoor Gear Lab review. I haven't done any long rides on it but it's cushy without being too soft. It's inexpensive and doesn't look too out of place on a bike.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...r-sport-saddle
Old 09-16-21, 02:14 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
Have you tried a leather saddle? I have a brooks pro and brooks swift and they’re great on gravel and trails.
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 09-16-21, 02:26 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
You could approach this another way, using a flexier saddle perhaps. Bontrager Avarda range have a decent amount of flex throughout.

Am guessing there isn't a suspension post out there with the D-shape fit.
Old 09-16-21, 02:51 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
fabric saddles have noticeable flex. I run one on my cyclocross bike for this reason
Old 09-16-21, 03:31 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Brooks B17 is my go to saddle for most bikes. I haven't had a pair of padded shorts in 10 years.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-16-21, 03:58 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
SQ Lab saddles my be worth looking at, particularly the flexible Active line:

https://sqlab-usa.com/collections/saddles
Likes For chaadster:
Old 09-16-21, 05:28 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,381 Times in 2,732 Posts
I like the Terry Fly Century. I have the rubber Brooks Cambium on my gravel-ish bike, it looks the part but not cushy. It seems lots of folks who don't wear bike shorts like the various Brooks.
Old 09-16-21, 07:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
All my bikes have either brooks cambium c17 or serfas rx rr saddles. The gravel has a c17 and while it had no padding, it is very flexible.
They are similar width, but the serfas sadles have some firm cushion.

No shorts sounds rough- hope you find one that works.
Old 09-17-21, 05:44 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
You could approach this another way, using a flexier saddle perhaps. Bontrager Avarda range have a decent amount of flex throughout.

Am guessing there isn't a suspension post out there with the D-shape fit.
This.

A great and very flexible saddle is the Selle An Atomica (made in USA). Brooks started to copy it actually. I ride that on a RedShift suspension seat post and teh combination is fantastic on gravel.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 09-20-21, 02:35 PM
SilverRubicon

Originally Posted by dwmckee
This.

A great and very flexible saddle is the Selle An Atomica (made in USA). Brooks started to copy it actually. I ride that on a RedShift suspension seat post and teh combination is fantastic on gravel.
Brooks did not copy the Selle Anatomic. Brooks precedes SA by roughly 100 years (SA founded in 2006).
Likes For SilverRubicon:
Old 09-20-21, 02:39 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
You should mainly consider that a saddle is not there to support your entire weight unless you are pedalling at low efforts.

When pedalling at a higher effort for whatever reason, you shouldn't necessarily be standing up, but with most of your weight just above the saddle and in the cranks for better leverage as well as weight distribution/centre of gravity.
Old 09-20-21, 02:40 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
As for saddles, over time I grew used to riding on very light padding without any discomfort. I like touring saddles with a priority on ergonomic shaping .
Likes For Moisture:
Old 09-20-21, 03:26 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Originally Posted by SilverRubicon
Brooks did not copy the Selle Anatomic. Brooks precedes SA by roughly 100 years (SA founded in 2006).
Sorry, to clarify - The Selle An Atomica with the cutout center section was offered by SA long before Brooks started to offer a cutout version.
Old 09-20-21, 03:54 PM
SilverRubicon

Originally Posted by dwmckee
Sorry, to clarify - The Selle An Atomica with the cutout center section was offered by SA long before Brooks started to offer a cutout version.
From Brooks…. “For riders in search of pressure relief, the B17 Carved features a “registered cutting” which first appeared with Brooks saddles in the 1890s.”
Likes For SilverRubicon:
Old 09-20-21, 06:31 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Just a copy and paste of my post earlier this year

I too favor saddles with huge cutouts. Since I've been cycling, my go-to saddle was usually the Selle Italia Superflow. That has all changed now because the Fizik Vento Argo and Fizik Tempo (huge cutout, short nose design) adds an additional level of comfort I didn't think would be noticeable. I spend the majority of my riding in the drops and the Vento Argo feels like the best of both worlds because it feels plush and comfortable but when seated a bit further up, hands on the drops, its still a firmer and stable feeling. The Tempo is slightly thicker in padding and the nose doesn't slope downwards when compared to the Vento. The Tempo Argo works well on my SBC 6061 all-road because just like the Vento, a very comfortable and supportive saddle, especially for those long days on the bike.
Old 09-20-21, 09:16 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

From Brooks…. “For riders in search of pressure relief, the B17 Carved features a “registered cutting” which first appeared with Brooks saddles in the 1890s.”
My first cutout saddle was a Brooks which came as a hand-me-down from my father on a ‘60s Hercules English racing bike. I remember it well; this was at least 40 years ago, and nearly three decades before Selle Anatomica was founded.

Maybe Anatomica can be credited with reviving the style, though…I’m not sure.
Old 09-20-21, 09:25 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by primov8
Just a copy and paste of my post earlier this year

I too favor saddles with huge cutouts. Since I've been cycling, my go-to saddle was usually the Selle Italia Superflow. That has all changed now because the Fizik Vento Argo and Fizik Tempo (huge cutout, short nose design) adds an additional level of comfort I didn't think would be noticeable. I spend the majority of my riding in the drops and the Vento Argo feels like the best of both worlds because it feels plush and comfortable but when seated a bit further up, hands on the drops, its still a firmer and stable feeling. The Tempo is slightly thicker in padding and the nose doesn't slope downwards when compared to the Vento. The Tempo Argo works well on my SBC 6061 all-road because just like the Vento, a very comfortable and supportive saddle, especially for those long days on the bike.
I have a Tempo Argo R3 too, and I just did my longest gravel ride on it yet a couple of weekends ago, doing about 65 miles. It had been good on shorter rides, and even after 4 hours on it I was still feeling pretty good. I think the way the sides flex on that saddle might make it of particular interest to the OP, kind of in the same way I was thinking the SQ Lab Active saddles flex and rock from side to side.
Old 09-21-21, 01:05 AM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Caveat: saddles are very personal, so what works for me may not work for you.
With that out of the way, I have been *very* happy with the Bontrager Aeolus saddle I bought a year ago.
Old 09-21-21, 09:16 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 37 Posts
I'm 56 and have dealt with chafing, saddle sores, tenderness, etc, etc, for years. I've tried fittings and hundreds of dollars on saddles, all to no avail. Finally found the solution. A company run by a chiropractor out in California designed a saddle where it's recommended NOT to wear a chamois. It's www.infinitybikeseat.com. They're a little pricey but I've been running one for almost a year and have not had a single issue. I'll do a 50-60 mile ride on gravel no problem in just regular shorts and 3-4 hours in the saddle is actually pleasant now. Just my two cents.
Likes For chief9245:
Old 09-22-21, 01:45 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 173 Posts
I run a fiziks terra argo x something (metal rail rather than carbon) in 160mm as fiziks advised me to run the larger for comfort.
i also run a fabric scoop 155 and it s a little more comfortable.
Old 09-24-21, 11:33 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
A couple of suggestions for non-chamois saddles other than the afore mentioned (and rightly so) B17 and SA saddles. The B67 with spring takes a lot of bite out of the gravel. I use carved c17's on a few bikes, and stumbled onto Ergon SMC saddle. Have been using it fat biking/mountain biking, and could see it as a candidate for going without chammy.
Old 09-24-21, 07:49 PM
dwmckee

Sorry about my gaps in bike saddle history over the past couple of centuries, but on to what is important. The SA is extremely comfortable and one of the favorites among long distance riders. It has a firm but very flexible leather surface and is favored by many for its support with no pressure spots. It also relieves chafing for many.

Last edited by dwmckee; 09-24-21 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-25-21, 12:57 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
For me a softer saddle leads to more rubbing/abrasion. I currently use an Ergon SR Comp: https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product...a=saettel#info
It's rather firm, and I feel like I'm just perched on my sit bones with very little pressure anywhere else. I find saddles like this with the lifted "whale tail" rear shape, narrow nose, plus a cutout are a win for me, like I'm floating over the saddle more. I gave up padded shorts, butt cream, etc a while back also - I wear merino boxer briefs and "gravel shorts" (essentially sleeker/shorter MTB shorts so they look OK on the road too). Nothing's very tight, you stay fresh and dry with the merino. Long days in the saddle are no prob.

Last edited by pbass; 09-25-21 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-28-21, 10:54 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
FWIW I like the Fizik Antares saddles for all of my bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.