Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Looking for 28/30 tire recommendations

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 08-19-14, 08:49 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have had Roubiax 25/28 tires on my road bike:

In an effort to make it a little more comfortable and safe to ride on my rough roads, I went to a set of Infinity 32's on it.

After putting in a couple of rides on these new tires, they are way more comfortable on my beat up country roads, but they also feel a little more sluggish, slow and not as responsive.

I'm starting to think I may need to look for a 28 or a 30 tire to find a happy medium. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-14, 10:00 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
they have just those tire...Kenda Happy Mediums, 32c versions are Tubeless and can be had for $35ish bucks each. Much cheaper then the spesh tubless 23/25 tires. I have a set of those as well for the road bike wheels. I ran the Schwalbe Sammy slick version 34c tires for about 500 miles before getting a set of the 32c Happys so I can run them tubeless. They roll well at 20mph, cuz the knobby sides, I don't recommend leaning them too far over on pavement like you would real slicks.

Happy Medium Pro
Old 08-20-14, 08:15 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks jsigone

Not many folks running 28 or 30 tires?
Old 08-20-14, 10:41 AM
Pakiwi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am riding Maxis Refuse25's but they have a 28 also. No punctures and great reviews.
Allan
Old 08-20-14, 10:25 PM
H.S.Clydesdale

Bikes: 2013 KHS 747 (by Lennard Zinn), 1987 Nishiki Sport, 1983 Sanwa 700

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have put 3k/12 months on a pair of 28c Vittoria Rubino pro IIIs. I loved them. Very sticky, can really carve into turns. I got two flats over the course of use. However, I just had to replace the rear with a new Rubino Pro III, and immediately got a pinch flat on the first run out on the new tire. It was bad enough that it cut through the entire sidewall, leaving a gash and sharp metal spurs which cut holes in any replacement tubes. This is weird because I had no problems before, and I know the tire was at full inflation (I run them at 100 psi because I am a clyde, 250lbs). I dont know if the pinch flat was a fluke, or if the sidewalls are just too thin for a clyde. In any case, this has got me thinking about trying another tire. Either something cheaper (I was able to find the Rubinos for $45 on sale), so that pinch flats which destroy the tire are less of a financial burden, or something with a more durable sidewall. I dont have enough experience with other tires to really give an educated comparison of the Rubinos vs. the competition. I can just say that I liked them, felt they were well worth the price for the past year. In my area the Rubinos are carried in a number of bike shops in the 28c size, so I use them out of convenience. For some reason, in my area, I have found it hard to find other brands in that size.
Old 08-21-14, 06:39 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
I've gone to the Vredelstein Senso Extreme in a 28c on my adventure bike (Gunnar Crosshairs). They are very light, tough, have a *great* road feel and I really like them. Just rode them on a cycling vacation in the mountains and had no issues with them in climbing.

J.
Old 08-22-14, 07:26 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I've rode the Bontrager Hard Case Race Lights in 28's for what seemed like 4K miles on 2 different bikes. Great tires, but a very harsh ride. I moved my commuter to the Bontrager AW2 now in a 25's, but I have also ridden the Vittoria Pro III's in 28, they are a great riding tire. My wife has those on her bike also. Life is not as good as the Race Lights in my opinion, got around 2.3K to 2.5K, but a much smoother riding tire and great in the rain.

I would recommend using the Tuffy Liners if you move to lighter weight tire. I've had great luck....knock on wood.....over the last year of going flatless on some less than optimal roads.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 08-22-14 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-22-14, 07:36 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
The Infinity is highly flat resistant, but it is stiffer and heavier than most tires.

At the other end of the scale is the very light and fast Challenge Parigi-Roubaix. It's labeled as a 700x27 but measures out to 29.5mm on a 22.5 wide rim. Probably one of the smoothest and fastest tires made for clincher wheels.

The 700x32 Vittoria Voyager Hyper is also fast and smooth while providing a high level of flat protection.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-22-14 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-22-14, 08:12 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My favorite durable, comfy and relatively good rolling tire would be the Panaracer Pasela, super durable, great ride and really cheap!
Old 08-22-14, 08:12 PM
RR3
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Challenge Parigi-Roubaix and Compass Extra Leger tires (28mm and 32mm) are both fast and comfortable. I cannot comment on puncture resistence because I have not flatted with either but then again I get very few flats. The Challenge Parigi-Roubaix are difficult to mount and wear out at least twice as fast as the Compass tires. The Compass extra legere tires are overall better in everyway in my opinion.
Old 08-22-14, 10:17 PM
superslomo
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got gatorskins on now, switching to gp 4-seasons just to try them out... both are available in 28s, no complaints here, though I do run them a bit harder than you are required to, depending on your size. I've been on them from 210 up to 245 and now just around 200 pounds. There's nothing wrong with the gatorskins, just was going to put them on my wife's bike, thought I'd try some new shoes just for the hell of it.
Old 08-23-14, 01:21 AM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Currently running Conti GP 4 Seasons. My favorite combination of traction, road feel and puncture resistance at the moment. However, they're not long lived, nor cheap and you can still cut the sidewalls.

Previous ran some Michelin Pro Optimums. Which I liked very much, but, they were simply too fragile in the sidewalls for me.

Maxxis Refuses I literally wore through the tread and into the casing without a single flat on a couple of tires. They have excellent grip but are short lived, heavy and slow rolling.

I haven't run anything bigger than 28mm, so can't comment on some of the 30-32mm possibilites. But, I would love to try some Challenge Parigi Roubaixs or the Compass Extra Legeres on my 80s Eddy Merckx.
Old 08-23-14, 10:05 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by RR3
Challenge Parigi-Roubaix and Compass Extra Leger tires (28mm and 32mm) are both fast and comfortable. I cannot comment on puncture resistence because I have not flatted with either but then again I get very few flats. The Challenge Parigi-Roubaix are difficult to mount and wear out at least twice as fast as the Compass tires. The Compass extra legere tires are overall better in everyway in my opinion.
Good to read a review from an user of both the Parigi-Roubaix and the Extra Leger tires. I agree the Parigi-Roubaix is the most difficult tire to install. Once installed, they stretch, and subsequent removal and reinstalling is much easier. I'll try the Compass tires once the Parigi-Roubaix need replacing.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-23-14, 02:11 PM
RR3
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Good to read a review from an user of both the Parigi-Roubaix and the Extra Leger tires. I agree the Parigi-Roubaix is the most difficult tire to install. Once installed, they stretch, and subsequent removal and reinstalling is much easier. I'll try the Compass tires once the Parigi-Roubaix need replacing.
I mount the Parigi-Roubaix on a set of rims that are "easier" and pump them up to max inflation for a few days and then they care mountable on my regular road wheels. Rolling resistence is a difficult call. I put the Extra Leger tires slower than Vittoria CX EVO III for sure but a touch quicker than both the Schwalbe One and the Parigi-Roubaix. All four of these are very good tires. My main issue with the Challenge is basically getting 800-900 miles out of a rear tire, which is only a bit more than I get from the Vittoria. Changing worn out tires that often is a pain.