Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

FSIR Spin 5.0

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

FSIR Spin 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 05:01 PM
iamdougsbike

Bikes: ‘15 Traitor Wander, ‘14 Scott Aspect 740, ‘12 Giant Defy 1, Xoort Swift, ‘09 GT Avalanche w/ 1000w hub motor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Do you know anyone with a Dahon or Tern to get a side-by-side comparison photo of the two bikes fully folded?

I don't know about the wright penalty for the Physis handlepost. I had a Breezer Zig 7 a few years ago that was just a rebadged Dahon and it's handlepost was extremely flexible. Unless Dahon made improvements I'd take the weight penalty.

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Yes. Good eye. I've seen, pawed the Tern handlepost. My LBS carries it. It is very well made, but it is also a good 200 grams heavier than a welded handlepost. I wonder, is the weight (and price) premium worth it?

Yes, the luggage block is another nice touch that endeared me to the FSIR.
Old 02-23-17, 08:35 PM
maxxevv

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What IGH would you propose? It has to be a smooth-shifting, work horse with at least as much range as a 11-46T cogset. No, Rohloff is out of the question because it is far too pricey, and heavy.
Probably an Alfine 11 if that's the range one desires. It has a gear range of 409%.
Thats pretty close to a 11-46T already. Equivalent of a 11-45T.
Old 02-24-17, 12:20 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
No, but I would expect that the hinge folder would be slightly more compact since the folded size is one half the length of the bike. For the FSIR, the folded length is one half the length of the bike, plus the distance from the pivot to the seat tube.

Originally Posted by iamdougsbike
Do you know anyone with a Dahon or Tern to get a side-by-side comparison photo of the two bikes fully folded?

I don't know about the wright penalty for the Physis handlepost. I had a Breezer Zig 7 a few years ago that was just a rebadged Dahon and it's handlepost was extremely flexible. Unless Dahon made improvements I'd take the weight penalty.
Old 02-24-17, 12:24 PM
iamdougsbike

Bikes: ‘15 Traitor Wander, ‘14 Scott Aspect 740, ‘12 Giant Defy 1, Xoort Swift, ‘09 GT Avalanche w/ 1000w hub motor

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not much of a difference at all...

Old 02-24-17, 07:13 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Good image hunting! Yeah, for me the marginally larger folded size is not an issue. The FSIR is easily my smallest 20" folder. But those with traditional hinge folders may balk. For me, personally, the protruding pivot-to-seat-tube section is a small price to pay for the increased structural rigidity and durability of no hinge.

Old 02-24-17, 09:51 PM
iamdougsbike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just overlaid the two images in Adobe Mix...

I agree that the FSir looks like a sturdier design.

Good image hunting! Yeah, for me the marginally larger folded size is not an issue. The FSIR is easily my smallest 20" folder. But those with traditional hinge folders may balk. For me, personally, the protruding pivot-to-seat-tube section is a small price to pay for the increased structural rigidity and durability of no hinge.

Last edited by iamdougsbike; 02-25-17 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-26-17, 12:03 AM
Abu Mahendra

Maybe a Titanium FSIR is more your thing?

Notice the Bannard saddle.
Old 02-26-17, 01:17 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
*drool*
Old 02-26-17, 06:08 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
OMG!!! That bike is HOTT!!!
Old 02-26-17, 11:02 AM
edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe a Titanium FSIR is more your thing.
That is a nice looking bike. The is a second quick release lower on the seat tube. I wonder what that is for?'

Is there someone that sells these online? I'd like to see the price and specs.
Old 02-26-17, 05:47 PM
Abu Mahendra

All FSIR Spins have two clamps. The second, bottom clamp is to secure the seatpost to the lower section of the frame.

Originally Posted by edelay
That is a nice looking bike. The is a second quick release lower on the seat tube. I wonder what that is for?'

Is there someone that sells these online? I'd like to see the price and specs.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 02-26-17 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-27-17, 04:46 PM
iamdougsbike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder if they also rely on the second (bottom) QR clamp for structural integrity like the Swift Folder.

Xootr had some issues early on with frames failing because of torsional forces while the bottom QR wasn't clamped tight enough onto the seatpost (some of them were due to seatposts that were the incorrect diameter to allow the proper clamping force).

It definitely cleans up the fold on the FSir having the seat moved to the lower QR when folded though.

All FSIR Spins have two clamps. The second, bottom clamp is to secure the seatpost to the lower section of the frame.
Old 02-27-17, 05:37 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I wonder if they also rely on the second (bottom) QR clamp for structural integrity like the Swift Folder.
From a brief stare at the frame, I would say not so much. The forces are different. Rider weight on the bike will tend to force the swivel joint to separate, and the seat tubes together. That is very similar to the Swift. If the seatpost wasn't inserted into the bottom seat tube, obviously the bike would tend to fold; if the seatpost fit into the bottom section was poor, there might be play but it doesn't seem as if the frame would suffer much worse stress. I do think it would be stronger with the seatpost in properly, though.

In the Swift, there is a very high tension set up in the upper portion of seatstay if the seatpost isn't tight. That's where the early Xootr Swifts tended to fail, even mine which I babied for many years to avoid it.
Old 03-29-17, 12:13 AM
Abu Mahendra

Wheelbase - 98cm

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 03-29-17 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-29-17, 09:33 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I actually like the double clamp on my fsir because i don't have to tighten them too much and just good pressure and had zero slip on them, probably because there is two points on the seatpost being held up now instead of one point. Unlike my other folders which need quite a bit more tension to prevent them from slipping.
Old 03-31-17, 09:15 PM
iamdougsbike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That is an awesome looking bike!

Old 03-31-17, 11:44 PM
Abu Mahendra

I'm only gettin' started, bro...

Old 03-31-17, 11:56 PM
shrooms

Bikes: Two Cannondale Hooligan 8s, IF MOVE

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Abu, if you want to buy a nice wheelset with MTB hubs which one would you buy? Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 04-01-17, 12:00 AM
Abu Mahendra

Depends how much coin you want to drop. I'd have it built with Industry 9, Hope or Chris King hubs if money is plentiful. Otherwise Shimano SLX or Zee is great value. Spokes? DT Swiss, Sapim or Wheelsmith. Rims? Velocity, DT Swiss...Retro/vintage shiny? VO hubs with Velocity Atlas polished rims.

Originally Posted by shrooms
Abu, if you want to buy a nice wheelset with MTB hubs which one would you buy? Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 04-01-17, 12:59 AM
shrooms

Bikes: Two Cannondale Hooligan 8s, IF MOVE

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Depends how much coin you want to drop. I'd have it built with Industry 9, Hope or Chris King hubs if money is plentiful. Otherwise Shimano SLX or Zee is great value. Spokes? DT Swiss, Sapim or Wheelsmith. Rims? Velocity, DT Swiss...Retro/vintage shiny? VO hubs with Velocity Atlas polished rims.
Great. Thanks again.
Old 04-15-17, 01:35 PM
Hinge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hey Abu, a few questions for you:

1. Where did you see that Titanium FSIR? I can't seem find anything on it.
2. What are your plans for components with your 406 FSIR build?
3. What's taking you so long? I want to see the finished beast!
Old 04-15-17, 06:16 PM
Abu Mahendra

1. In discussions in Bangkok with an FSIR dealer. Plus post #42 shows one. Having said that, i don't think it is for real just yet.

2. 1x drivetrain with 11-42T cogset. This is how it looked before it retired to the storage room. Notice the sprung Brooks Flyer Special, the Ergon GP3 grips, the Kinetix handlebar, and Shimano XT 8000 cogset and shifters & top of the line Avid brakes and levers. It will get folding Schwalbe Marathon Supremes...

3. It's one of three to five builds in the pipeline, plus there's a Dahon Fash Altena waiting in the wings to become my daily, meat & potatoes driver. I won't move in earnest with the FSIR build until I've sold my mainstay 406er, a Dahon Dash. I tend to ride the Dash a bit hard, and it takes the pounding well. I wonder whether the FSIR with its folding handlepost could take the beating just as well, and replace the Dash. The FSIR with its 98cm wheelbase will be livelier than the Dash with its 100cm wheelbase.

Originally Posted by Hinge
Hey Abu, a few questions for you:

1. Where did you see that Titanium FSIR? I can't seem find anything on it.
2. What are your plans for components with your 406 FSIR build?
3. What's taking you so long? I want to see the finished beast!

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 04-15-17 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-10-17, 03:12 AM
por964

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FSIR Spin 5 vs. Tyrell IVE

I am new here. Has anyone compared Tyrell IVE (folding bike) with FSIR's Spin 5??

I am only finding very limited info online on FSIR.
They have presence in the Netherlands.
But where are they based??

Their bikes are made in China.
There's also some youtube video of a Mr. He, whom the video claims is the founder of FSIR.

I would just like to know more information on the company before I make a purchase.

Btw, I am 5 ft 11 inches, and about 185 lbs.
Would FSIR's Spin 5 fit me??

Thanks!!!
Old 10-10-17, 03:14 PM
Abu Mahendra

Tyrells in general are very nice, and the IVE is no exception. The IVE, through, is steel, has 355 wheels, and more pricey than a FSIR (made in Taiwan). Can't speak about fitment for your height.

Originally Posted by por964
I am new here. Has anyone compared Tyrell IVE (folding bike) with FSIR's Spin 5??

I am only finding very limited info online on FSIR.
They have presence in the Netherlands.
But where are they based??

Their bikes are made in China.
There's also some youtube video of a Mr. He, whom the video claims is the founder of FSIR.

I would just like to know more information on the company before I make a purchase.

Btw, I am 5 ft 11 inches, and about 185 lbs.
Would FSIR's Spin 5 fit me??

Thanks!!!
Old 10-10-17, 07:31 PM
por964

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Abu.

Have you finished putting together your FSIR yet??
I wonder if you are riding your bike yet, as I would like to get some feedback from an actual user.
I have read somewhere that the Spin 5 has stopped folding for some. Have you experienced such a problem??

I am considering a Spin 5D from a shop in Singapore, Inner City Rhythm.

Also how does an aluminium frame differ from a steel frame for a folding bike??

I guess the larger wheels on the FSIR is preferable.

And in general how would you rate this FSIR folding bike? Would you recommend it??

Thanks in advance.

Good day!!

Tyrells in general are very nice, and the IVE is no exception. The IVE, through, is steel, has 355 wheels, and more pricey than a FSIR (made in Taiwan). Can't speak about fitment for your height.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.