Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Front chain ring help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Front chain ring help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-20, 10:05 AM
bencohen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front chain ring help

I have a vintage KHS road bike from the 90's (I think) and I am looking to replace the front small chain ring with something smaller. Though after a lot of research I cannot find one that matches the dimensions I have. The BCD is 76mm and the bolt holes are 8mm. The small chain ring is currently a 42 tooth so I am looking for anything smaller, preferably 30-34 tooth. If anyone could help me that would be much appreciated!
Old 07-30-20, 10:17 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked 5,422 Times in 2,756 Posts
That sounds like an unusual crank. Maybe from a MTB? Common road cranks from that era would be 130 BCD with a small ring of 42 or 39; I think 38T was the smallest possible. You might have better luck getting a complete new "compact" crank with 50/34 or similar.
Old 07-30-20, 10:19 AM
bencohen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes agreed I thought it was a very odd measurement and I measured it multiple times. It is all stock parts from the original bike I believe.
Old 07-30-20, 02:04 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by bencohen
I have a vintage KHS road bike from the 90's (I think) and I am looking to replace the front small chain ring with something smaller. Though after a lot of research I cannot find one that matches the dimensions I have. The BCD is 76mm and the bolt holes are 8mm. The small chain ring is currently a 42 tooth so I am looking for anything smaller, preferably 30-34 tooth. If anyone could help me that would be much appreciated!
I can't post a link, but the first result of googling "76 mm BCD chainring" brought up exactly what you need from a site called thebikesmiths. Watch out when selecting your new chainring because a lot of the option I saw were oval-shaped. And hopefully you've considered what size tooth-jump your front derailleur can handle, as well as the effect changing a chainring size will have on chain wrap for your rear derailleur. Good Luck!
Old 07-30-20, 02:09 PM
bencohen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
I can't post a link, but the first result of googling "76 mm BCD chainring" brought up exactly what you need from a site called thebikesmiths. Watch out when selecting your new chainring because a lot of the option I saw were oval-shaped. And hopefully you've considered what size tooth-jump your front derailleur can handle, as well as the effect changing a chainring size will have on chain wrap for your rear derailleur. Good Luck!
I should have mentioned in the original post but I need one with a 5 bolt pattern not a 4 bolt pattern. Though I did not consider the length of chain that’s a good point
Old 07-30-20, 03:47 PM
BoraxKid

I should have mentioned in the original post but I need one with a 5 bolt pattern not a 4 bolt pattern. Though I did not consider the length of chain that’s a good point
Well that does sound unusual. According to Sheldon brown (dot com slash) cribsheet-bcd (dot) html, the only 5-bolt chainrings that meet your description were 74 mm BCD. You can find plenty of sites selling those chainrings if you google "5 bolt 74 mm BCD chainring".

Are you certain your measurement is not off by 2 mm? If you trust your measurement, then it's possible that your bike had a proprietary crankset spec. In that case, replacing the crankset would be the easiest way to accomplish what you're after. Alternatives to replacing the crankset would include things like searching ebay for your specific part, or looking for a custom bicycle shop that could machine or modify a chainring for you. Good Luck!
Old 07-30-20, 03:54 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Keep in mind most bike measurements are made from the center of the circle or cylinder. 2mm sounds most like a measuring error.
Old 07-30-20, 04:16 PM
bencohen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Keep in mind most bike measurements are made from the center of the circle or cylinder. 2mm sounds most like a measuring error.
yes normally I would agree with you that it’s measurement error but I am 99% sure it’s 76. I would attach a photo of my measurement but it won’t let me.
Old 07-30-20, 06:26 PM
BoraxKid

yes normally I would agree with you that it’s measurement error but I am 99% sure it’s 76. I would attach a photo of my measurement but it won’t let me.
An inexpensive test would be to purchase a 74 mm BCD chainring and attempt to mount it. If it doesn't work, you can always return it. If you can buy it from Amazon, their returns are stupidly simple nowadays. I returned a U-lock I didn't like by just dropping it off at a UPS store and letting them scan a barcode from my phone; I paid zero money for that return and got a full refund.
Old 07-31-20, 04:22 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Take a picture of the crank with the model number/name and post it. We need that info to really solve the problem.
Old 07-31-20, 11:22 AM
bencohen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
An inexpensive test would be to purchase a 74 mm BCD chainring and attempt to mount it. If it doesn't work, you can always return it. If you can buy it from Amazon, their returns are stupidly simple nowadays. I returned a U-lock I didn't like by just dropping it off at a UPS store and letting them scan a barcode from my phone; I paid zero money for that return and got a full refund.
I like this idea cause I have also returned stuff through amazon and it’s super easy. I went ahead and ordered 74 mm BCD 30t chainring. Fingers crossed it will work!