Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Edco sealed BB - creaking sounds

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 12:55 PM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

So, this is about an Edco Competition sealed bearing unit bottom bracket. I’d picked this up in trade at the 2018 Westminster bike swap. It came with beat-up BSC thread cups. I had a new-2-me 1971 Gitane Super Corsa frame I was building up as a rider to replace the ’71 Gitane SC that got crashed out last year. SO, French threads. See the photo.

Experimenting, I found that the Edco sealed unit seemed to fit snugly onto either OMAS or Stronglight sealed bb cups. The spare Stronglight cups were rather beat, but fully functional, so on they went. Okay. Set-up #1.

The crank just creaked, and it creaked loudly.

First culprit I suspect are the crank arms. Obviously, one or both isn’t tight enough and that’s the creaking sound. I repeated wrenched the crank arms tighter and tighter (I may have noticeably spread the Stronglight 104 crank arm sockets in the process). It still creaked.

Oddly, in the meantime, I’d come up with a used BB with French Edco cups. These cups were also pretty beat, but the axle (under the shield) was an OMAS titanium. But, that’s already in use, and I wanted those Edco cups. Much cleaning and a bit of thread chasing later, and on they go. You will note that the Edco cups have a nylon fitting around the axle access. I was certain that this would probably solve the creaking. Set-up #2. Edco Competition cups w/ Edco Competition sealed unit.

Nope. It didn’t. I rode alongside people with each set-up. Both days, everyone agreed: it was noisy. And the cranks are were tightened down soundly.

So. What’s making these creaking sounds? Can it actually be the Edco sealed unit?

It certainly spins effortlessly in the hand. The bearings feel very clean and smooth.

It does not look especially easy to take apart, and I can’t really imagine it would be worth it. . or would it?

I am open to suggestions here.
Thank you
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Old 02-06-21, 05:48 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 80 Posts
I can certainly see the first combination creaking, the EDCO cups look correct could you post a picture of the other side of them? Does your cartridge have the circlips on both side of the axle? Was it a similar sealed unit that came with the EDCO French cups?
Old 02-08-21, 09:54 AM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
I run an Edco Competition on one of my bikes. While not officially called for (and some advocate against) I put a very thin layer of grease on the inside of the locating cups and on the spindle flats. Chrome plated spindles can feel like they'll never tighten but don't overdo it.