Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The ultimate RIH source

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The ultimate RIH source

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 12:07 AM
nishikiroadace

Bikes: 20

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Although, a RIH Speciaal could have been sold in Amsterdam too.
Likes For nishikiroadace:
Old 10-20-20, 03:18 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
For those interested, I found a couple of RIH Sport bicycles on Marktplaats (Dutch eBay)

Originally Posted by JaccoW
I might be willing to facilitate...

FYI, I came across a better example here.

That's a big difference with this of course.

Originally Posted by woodger
Hi. I have purchased a RIH frame and bars ( frame number 5241 ). Just wondering what components this bike would have had?
See the pictures above.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 11-02-20, 01:38 AM
whermans

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I am new here as I just bought a RIH and am realy impressed by the amount of info in this threat. I have a red RIH SPORT SUPER COURSE #7550 . most likely 1964. As the Titan bar has 64 stamped in. Is there an update of the framenumber list.
Old 11-02-20, 01:52 AM
whermans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
reply to victor post#446 :
1) does it have 2 extra holes drilled in the rear break bridge, as most RIH from that period have?
2 Titan bars and stems normlly have a 2digit number stamped as its production year

Last edited by whermans; 11-02-20 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-24-21, 04:22 AM
Viktor1

Bikes: Raleigh, Giant, RIH

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Merci :)

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Welcome, Viktor1! Nice save!

A chromed fork with Shimano ends would not have been original, as you've probably already found out. If the frame turns out to be salvageable - and I certainly hope so - I'd look for a period-correct replacement, preferably with an Ekla "D" crown and chromed "socks". I have seen them at swap meets, so I think chances of finding one are not too bad.

In 1967 it would still have had the "<RIH-SPORT>" style decals, I believe. They seem to have changed during 1968 to the later "RIH". Replacement decals can be found online.

The color would have been either "race red" or "race blue", I think. Off-white and orange also seem to have been introduced in 1968.

They came in two trim levels, "Full Race" and "Campa Race". See below for the specs.

Good luck with the restoration! And keep the questions and the pictures coming.

Thank you very much non-fixie & nishikiroadace for your help & the valuable information!
whermans, yes there are two holes in the rear brake ridge
Old 02-27-21, 10:51 PM
Brandie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello All. I recently purchased a RIH bicycle at a thrift store. I don't know anything about it. The lady at the store said it was a 60 year anniversary bike. It says "60 jaar" on it. This leads me to believe it is from 1981. The vin number, however, is 8146. Looking at the chart on this forum it looks like that number should be in the 60's. It is white. Do you have any information that can help me to know what I actually have?
Likes For Brandie:
Old 02-28-21, 04:08 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandie
Hello All. I recently purchased a RIH bicycle at a thrift store. I don't know anything about it. The lady at the store said it was a 60 year anniversary bike. It says "60 jaar" on it. This leads me to believe it is from 1981. The vin number, however, is 8146. Looking at the chart on this forum it looks like that number should be in the 60's. It is white. Do you have any information that can help me to know what I actually have?
Welcome, Brandie!

I seem to remember seeing those 60th anniversary decals on Cové-built bikes. Not sure if they were used by the Amsterdam shop as well. Pictures of the bike would help. See if you can upload some to your album, as you're not allowed to post them directly before you have ten posts. (Sorry about the latter, it is an anti-spam measure.)

Old 03-01-21, 12:50 AM
Brandie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, non-fixie! I uploaded some pics to a new album on my profile.
Old 03-02-21, 04:34 PM
nishikiroadace

Bikes: 20

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandie
Thanks, non-fixie! I uploaded some pics to a new album on my profile.
I think is an '81 bike. Amsterdam type serial, RIH in fork crown, no eyelets on front and rear forks. Could be made in Venlo, but sold in Amsterdam. That's what I think, but some people don't believe me.
Campa brakes? Cranks are ...? Does the rear brake bridge have 2 holes extra? It's got the looks!
Old 04-02-21, 04:24 AM
Birder

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RIH bike 5757

Hi RIH fans,

I have a RIH bike from the end of the 50ies. It was my dad's and while I had my own bike, I have ridden it a few times about 35 year ago. However, my dad was way shorter than me, or I'm not used to this type of bike anymore, but I rode it yesterday and it just does not fit anymore.

5757 has literally been all over the world. My dad worked for KLM and he used to take his bike along everywhere he went.

As I said, it does not fit me, and it also does not fit my kids (yet). So storing it would be a solution, but we don't have any place to do so.
I'm considering selling it. Before putting it up for sale on the local classifieds website, I thought this would be a good spot to get it under the attention of RIH fans.
Old 04-02-21, 04:27 AM
Birder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RIH bike 5757

I want to upload some pictures, but I get this: You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites and photos after you have made 10 posts or more.
Old 04-02-21, 04:44 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Originally Posted by Birder
I want to upload some pictures, but I get this: You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites and photos after you have made 10 posts or more.
Yep, it is an anti-spam measure that works well for us.

Pic Assist - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/21026665

Old 04-02-21, 06:31 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Hi RIH fans,

I have a RIH bike from the end of the 50ies. It was my dad's and while I had my own bike, I have ridden it a few times about 35 year ago. However, my dad was way shorter than me, or I'm not used to this type of bike anymore, but I rode it yesterday and it just does not fit anymore.

5757 has literally been all over the world. My dad worked for KLM and he used to take his bike along everywhere he went.

As I said, it does not fit me, and it also does not fit my kids (yet). So storing it would be a solution, but we don't have any place to do so.
I'm considering selling it. Before putting it up for sale on the local classifieds website, I thought this would be a good spot to get it under the attention of RIH fans.
Welcome, Birder! That is a good-looking frame. Nice paint and decals for its age. Looks to be pullup 's size.

Old 04-02-21, 07:26 AM
Birder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, Birder! That is a good-looking frame. Nice paint and decals for its age. Looks to be pullup 's size.
Thanks non-fixie! I guess my dad took good care of it. I remember that our mom would always get mad after our biking trips, because our trousers and socks got black, because everything was greased up. 5757 is also the bike from this story:

As I said, my dad worked for KLM and he used to take his bike along everywhere he went. One time he had a few days stopover in Karachi, where the crew stayed at the Midway House.

Early in the morning he got on his bike through town and neared a roundabout, where a traffic cop was controlling the traffic. As he passed him, he asked how far it was to Hyderabad. "About a hundred miles", the officer answered. A few streets further down my dad did a detour back to the hotel (maybe he forgot something, we don't know), changed into another outfit and got back on his bike.

As he approached the roundabout, the cop turned, stopped the cross traffic and let my dad through straight ahead. As my dad passed him, he shouted to my dad "Hyderabad about a hundred miles that way! Other sahib gone 10 minutes now!"
So that is this bike. The bike of the trip from Karachi to Hyderabad and the cop.

Last edited by Birder; 04-02-21 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-02-21, 09:33 AM
pullup

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
It is I love this RIH and the story
Old 04-02-21, 10:53 AM
Birder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pullup
It is I love this RIH and the story
Thanks, Pullup!
Old 04-03-21, 03:19 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Thanks non-fixie! I guess my dad took good care of it. I remember that our mom would always get mad after our biking trips, because our trousers and socks got black, because everything was greased up. 5757 is also the bike from this story:

As I said, my dad worked for KLM and he used to take his bike along everywhere he went. One time he had a few days stopover in Karachi, where the crew stayed at the Midway House.

Early in the morning he got on his bike through town and neared a roundabout, where a traffic cop was controlling the traffic. As he passed him, he asked how far it was to Hyderabad. "About a hundred miles", the officer answered. A few streets further down my dad did a detour back to the hotel (maybe he forgot something, we don't know), changed into another outfit and got back on his bike.

As he approached the roundabout, the cop turned, stopped the cross traffic and let my dad through straight ahead. As my dad passed him, he shouted to my dad "Hyderabad about a hundred miles that way! Other sahib gone 10 minutes now!"
So that is this bike. The bike of the trip from Karachi to Hyderabad and the cop.
Great story. Thank you for sharing it.

Old 04-07-21, 04:13 AM
Jan_D.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi RIH fans,

The RIH- story of my wife and I started in the early seventies. My wife was a teacher at a primary school in Amsterdam then. Her bike was a bit small and she was advised to go to the Westerstraat to buy a bike that would really fit her size (1.85m). The lady who gave her this advise was the mother of one of her pupils! Her name was Mrs Van der Kaaij. :-) In the Westerstraat we bought two "sport-bikes"; my wife a black one and i bought one in light green metallic. They were slightly diifferent (number of gears e.g.). Both had stainless steel mudgards and the text in gold "Een Cové product" on the seat bar just under the top tube. They where very good! Later we bought other bikes in the Westerstraat but never real racing bikes.
In the nineties my wife bought a red semi-randonneur mixed frame 62,5 cm for holiday-use. This was sprayed in bright red. After some years of usage in weekends and during holidays it was used to cycle to and fro her work. As the triple front blade ate too many trousers mr Van der Kaay changed it to a single front blade and added a red shield for the chain. Due to health issues this bike has been gathering dust for nearly three years. My wife found it hard to say goodbye to her RIH-Ferrari but it will be sold. I will advertise it on Marktplaats.nl and we both hope it will be sold by someone who keeps it in shape. No rust, but years of usage have left their marks, of course. A brandnew unused RIH bidon goes with it!

Jan
Old 04-11-21, 07:03 AM
Jan_D.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
RIH restoration project

As I discovered that my own RIH is in deplorable state we have decided to keep my wife's bike (see above) as a spare. This men's RIH 60cm is now for sale. In fact "for sale"is not exactly right: anyone who wants to refurbish it can contact me. Or look it up on Marktplaats "Rih Special Amsterdam classic" I hope someone will come up and restore it.
Jan
Old 04-17-21, 09:40 AM
miloman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selling my RIH. Somebody interested? It's on marktplaats.
Old 04-17-21, 11:03 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by miloman
Selling my RIH. Somebody interested? It's on marktplaats.
Welcome back, miloman! Saw the ad. GLWS!

By the way, thanks again for the link to the film project, back in '15. Matthieu did finish the film, and I did get to go to the premiere in Amsterdam.

For those who missed that:

Mannen van staal

Old 04-17-21, 11:15 AM
miloman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Yes, I got an invite for the premiere as well, but couldn't make it. Can't remember why...
The bike is not gone yet, it needs doing all the bearings with grease I guess. Maybe I just keep it until I retire ;-)
Old 07-30-21, 12:34 PM
CowdogHenk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi friends in RIH!

I just picked up a RIH Special Course and I would love to know more about it. I can't any info that would give me the ballpark build year and hence who built it--would you folks be able to shed any light?
The frame and frame number here: imgur.com/gallery/mjFdn7d (I can't post pictures or hyperlinks yet)
I can't make it out with total certainty, but the frame number appears to be 425190

Cheers!
Old 07-30-21, 12:59 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Pic assist

Old 08-02-21, 02:37 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
I'd like to contribute my RIH. Far as I know it's a Cové-build but it's a bit a strange one. At first sight there seems to be some similarity with the frame from nishikiroadace in post #303.

According to the label the main tubes are Reynolds 531, inside diameter 26.8 mm.

The headbadge says RIH Holland.

The lugs are short, sharp and no cut-aways. The cable eyes are quiet different, a simple ring.

And there's a extra one, probably to keep the clamp from the shifters on it's place. The forkcrown has a simple curve

No holes in the brake bridge but I guess that's normal for a Cové-build.

Eyelets ofcourse .

And a five digit frame number under the bracket. For what's worth, it starts with 79, 79404. The zero is a bit strange, small.

From the other side. Styled by Jan de Haan does not say much, he had a bikeshop in Abcoude (near Amsterdam).
Maybe the cable eyes are modifications?
Hope you folks can help me out.

Last edited by fabiofarelli; 08-02-21 at 03:46 PM.
Likes For fabiofarelli:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.