Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brake hoods: Dia vs Modolo

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-29-21, 08:41 AM
walterb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Anyone know whether these Dia Compe brake lever hoods fit Modolo levers currently fitted with Modolo 919 hoods?

I've messaged the seller but haven't received a reply.

https://velo-orange.com/products/dia...4-brake-levers

Any other options, besides paying twice as much (or more) for Modolo NOS hoods?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by walterb; 07-29-21 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-29-21, 04:57 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Per my experience using them in the 80's, the Modolo 919 "Anatomic" hoods are really nice plus very very comfortable, but just way too expensive these days if you can find them. They also tend to dry rot really quick (Much quicker than most other hoods I have used.), once you start using them and exposing them to the elements.
Dia Compes had always been good quality but economical replacements, if you do not mind non-originslity. You just want to make sure you get the correct model hoods for best fit and appearance.
you might also check into Rustines hoods as I think they might make hoods that will specifically fit the Modolo lever bodies, so they won't have unsightly gaps around them when installed, unlike many other "universal" replacement hoods.

Last edited by Chombi1; 07-29-21 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-29-21, 05:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
The Modolo levers were patterned after Campagnolo, and the 919 hoods work well on Campagnolo levers. Whether these Dia-Compe hoods would also work isn't clear. One of the reviewers on the Velo-Orange site mentions that they work well on his SunTour levers, but dosn't mention a specific model. Dia-Compe made SunTour's brakes and levers, the ones they made as SunTour "Superbe" are a close copy of Campagnolo, and I've used 919 hoods on Superbe levers, so there's a chance it would work. Dia-Compe's own Gran Compe levers are slightly different shape from Campagnolo/Modolo/Superbe.

Otherwise, Boulder Bicycle has hoods that would work, but without the nice anatomic shape of the 919 hoods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
campy-suntour-gc-levers.jpg (178.4 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 07-29-21 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-29-21, 07:42 PM
walterb

Thanks for the insight, John. No confirmation yet about the fit of Dia Compe on Modolo levers but maybe someone who’s gone down this route will chime in.
Old 07-29-21, 07:52 PM
walterb

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The Modolo levers were patterned after Campagnolo, and the 919 hoods work well on Campagnolo levers. Whether these Dia-Compe hoods would also work isn't clear. One of the reviewers on the Velo-Orange site mentions that they work well on his SunTour levers, but dosn't mention a specific model. Dia-Compe made SunTour's brakes and levers, the ones they made as SunTour "Superbe" are a close copy of Campagnolo, and I've used 919 hoods on Superbe levers, so there's a chance it would work. Dia-Compe's own Gran Compe levers are slightly different shape from Campagnolo/Modolo/Superbe.

Otherwise, Boulder Bicycle has hoods that would work, but without the nice anatomic shape of the 919 hoods.
Thank you. I’ve reached out to Boulder about their Soma hoods. They seem to be having existential issues over there but hopefully they’ll get back to me soon. Have you yourself tried these hoods on Modolo levers? Trying to get a sense whether “would work” means “good fit”!
Old 07-30-21, 01:14 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Brake Lever Hoods - Good Fit or Look Good?

Originally Posted by walterb
Thank you. I’ve reached out to Boulder about their Soma hoods. They seem to be having existential issues over there but hopefully they’ll get back to me soon. Have you yourself tried these hoods on Modolo levers? Trying to get a sense whether “would work” means “good fit”!
As JohnDThompson pointed out, Modolo brake hoods interchange with Campy and Suntour Superbe.

These Royal Gran Compe levers look like they might fit the same but I'd have to go measure them.

If you want hoods that will fit right out of the box, Rustines is your answer. No guessing or trial and error. You can get them from a number of sources.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 07-31-21, 08:10 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I have Modolo hoods on my Campagnolo brake levers and they fit fine. I have mixed brands with levers and hoods in the past , sometimes taking an Exacto blade to "trim to fit". To be honest, I just bought some Cane Creek hoods for a build(actually bought two sets) because the price was right. I have them on some Die Compe drilled levers from the seventies and they fit very nicely. They have been on that bike for six years and still look great. The price is very good, less than $15 a pair on the bay with free shipping. It is more of a tan color than natural gum on the Rustines.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 07-31-21, 05:09 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 319 Posts
I installed Dia Comp brake hoods on my Modolo brake calipers and they look and fit perfectly. The brake hoods cost about $17 a pair brand new .
Likes For Manny66:
Old 07-31-21, 08:54 PM
walterb

UPDATE: good news, found Dia Compe hoods for my son’s Bianchi at local shop ($12.95 Can). Bad news, installation a disaster (top). Hood tore. And fit unsatisfactory (to my standards), not only at the bottom, as expected, but also at the top, where cable exists (too loose), and the back (over the tape). Bottom photo: Modolo 919 NOS I installed on my Bianchi last year. Perfect fit. Worth 4X the cost? Personal choice, but I’ll be looking for same for my son. I mean, we're not talking about a difference of hundreds of dollars, or even $100, for the right look and feel to be enjoyed for many years, I hope.

Last edited by walterb; 08-01-21 at 08:24 AM.