Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

First Folding Bike...Need Help/Suggestions

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 11:46 AM
xwave151

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everybody!

So I am in the market for my first folding bike. I've done a ton of research and I think I've narrowed it down to 3 choices, but I guess I could still be convinced one way or another.

Right now, I'm between the Dahon Mariner D7, Citizen Seoul, and the Tern Verge x10.

Now, I know the Tern kinda doesnt fit in that list so let me explain what Im looking for...
I commute about 3 miles TOTAL to and from work on non-hilly ground, but IDEALLY I would like the lightest weight possible, 7 gears minimum, with the ability to put a few more miles on it, say maybe 20-30 on my days off. For this reason, the Tern seamed amazing, but, I am well aware of the recall forums, and the issues surrounding Tern. On their website, they offer a 10 year warranty if I am not mistaken...?

I realize the Tern I would have to save up a little more for, so setting that one aside, the Mariner has the brand name and reputation backing it, but the Citizen has a VERY attractive price.

I've looked at GreenzoneBikes as well as Downtube, both look very attractive too, with good prices.

Last but not least, Brompton and BikeFriday look AMAZING, but well out of budget...

I signed up to Bike Forums after doing much research and wanted to post here myself and get some input.
Thank you all for the great advise I've read thus far. Cheers!

xwave151
Old 05-09-17, 12:03 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
big spread .. indeed The Tern will give you 10 years as long as u sign up .
The current price of the x 10 is also down from 1900 earlier. Savings of 400 basically.
The wheels in the x series bikes are about as much as the whole Dahon Mariner will be.

I love the mariner as it is a light bike with everything you need. Nothing too fancy either.

Usually you pay for components rather than the frame and fork ... Meaning different frame and forks will only differ in small part concerning the price of the whole bike . If you spend a grand more, every single part of the bike is better ...
That starts with spokes, or inner tubes, bottom bracket axles or bearings in the hubs ...

now lets get some popcorn and watch it unfold ... literally lol
Old 05-09-17, 12:15 PM
xwave151

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Thor!

So if I don't want to spend more on components, whats my best option in the $500 range-ish...?
The frames of the GreenZone, Dahon and Citizen all look exactly the same.....
Old 05-09-17, 03:57 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I would avoid bicycles using cheap basic drivetrains, i.e. 6 and 7 speed bikes with tourney derailleurs and freewheels. They are ok for light use.

I had a quick nose around us sites despite being uk based myself and found this;

https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Adapt...n%3A6404034011

Both the Adapt 2 and Adapt 3 seem to have good quality components but avoid the other Schwinn folders on the page. It gives you a baseline to work with anyway to see if you can beat that bike from another supplier. I couldn't find anything on Citizen or Greenzone that wasn't compromised by low cost components. Whatever if you keep to a minimum of 8 speed for a derailleur based bike you won't end up with horrible tourney/freewheel combination. They aren't actually terrible but are entry level quality and if I was spending around $500 I would expect better than that.
Old 05-09-17, 04:09 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Another one here. Definitely worth reading all the reviews though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013D87S00?psc=1
Old 05-09-17, 06:14 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Have you considered a well-cared for used bike? I had to lurk CL for a while but I got my Bike Friday for $500 plus $25 shipping. Over time, I've upgraded it and it is like new now - spreads out the cost while riding =). Depending on where you live, you might luck into something nice in a BF, Birdy, etc. Folders can be like exercise equipment; sometimes people buy them with good intentions and then don't really use them....so you can score a real find.
Old 05-09-17, 07:40 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by xwave151
Thank you Thor!

So if I don't want to spend more on components, whats my best option in the $500 range-ish...?
The frames of the GreenZone, Dahon and Citizen all look exactly the same.....
For a starter that you will ride every day, with extra miles on weekends, I think whatever Dahon you can afford is a safe bet. New or used, there's plenty around, and plenty of people with experience on working on them. My first folder was a Dahon and I've owned several since, plus a Brompton and now an ebike-conversion Mosso. I don't recommend off-brand sub-$500 bikes..they're invariably heavy with cheap parts, and latches that may not wear well.
Old 05-09-17, 08:19 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you cannot go wrong with a mariner ..... sure i am biased as i sell them
Old 05-10-17, 12:20 AM
xwave151

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
For a starter that you will ride every day, with extra miles on weekends, I think whatever Dahon you can afford is a safe bet. New or used, there's plenty around, and plenty of people with experience on working on them. My first folder was a Dahon and I've owned several since, plus a Brompton and now an ebike-conversion Mosso. I don't recommend off-brand sub-$500 bikes..they're invariably heavy with cheap parts, and latches that may not wear well.
Thank you for the input. I think I may just go with the Mariner
Old 05-10-17, 12:24 AM
xwave151

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Have you considered a well-cared for used bike? I had to lurk CL for a while but I got my Bike Friday for $500 plus $25 shipping. Over time, I've upgraded it and it is like new now - spreads out the cost while riding =). Depending on where you live, you might luck into something nice in a BF, Birdy, etc. Folders can be like exercise equipment; sometimes people buy them with good intentions and then don't really use them....so you can score a real find.
I would absolutely love to come across a used one, but I've had no luck thus far, and I haven't really seen any in my area.
Old 05-10-17, 12:27 AM
xwave151

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Bonzo Banana;19571959]Another one here.
This one does look very VERY tempting.... only thing I'm not liking is the weight, but you get more speeds and disc brakes...how much "better" is that than the Mariner, or any 7 or 8 speeder for that matter?
Old 05-10-17, 12:53 AM
shrooms

Bikes: Two Cannondale Hooligan 8s, IF MOVE

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Xwave151 if you don't mind me asking why do you need a folding bike in particular? Can you commute on any other type of a bike and store it safely at work?
Old 05-10-17, 01:21 AM
Bonzo Banana

[quote=xwave151;19572798]
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
Another one here.
This one does look very VERY tempting.... only thing I'm not liking is the weight, but you get more speeds and disc brakes...how much "better" is that than the Mariner, or any 7 or 8 speeder for that matter?
Better is a difficult term. Dahon go towards lower weight performance folding bikes and are more of a premium brand where the components you get for your money can be a bit basic for their lower end models. When I've been looking around various cycling sites around the world there seems many issues with Dahon frame quality and the video on youtube of their factory looks a poor manufacturing facility compared to the big manufacturers like fuji-ta who supply many US, European and shop brands. I tend to look at individual components more wondering if there are any parts on the bike that are low end and will cause trouble or wear quickly. You can have 2 folding bikes both aluminium frames but one is over-engineered to be strong and last a long time and another is designed to be lighter weight at the expense of strength and so there is weight variation. Aluminium does suffer from fatigue and benefits from robot welding to ensure maximum strength which not all manufacturers use.

The other issue is some bike brands do a wide range of bikes so a company like Schwinn would be criticised by serious cyclists because of its poor entry level bikes as a brand but sometimes their higher range models often based on better components than some premium brands at similar prices offer the best value.

Disc brakes do add weight but they add additional safety in all weather conditions and you can see its a strong trend in normal size road bikes to feature them both mechanical and hydraulic.

Just by making a bike 16 speed over 8 speed you have added some weight with the front derailleur, double chainset, extra gear selector, longer chain etc. The increased gear ratio range means you can tackle hills a bit easier and be faster on the flats and downhill but its extra complexity. Personally I prefer the 2 Schwinn models which offer a good well-chosen spec and long warranty for a reasonable price. Being a mainstream brand it will be easier to find the best price to as I assume many retailers in the states will stock Schwinn.

Many Schwinn bikes come from this facility which is known for producing many excellent bikes under many brands. I don't know if the Schwinn folders come from this facility but there is a strong chance. I'd personally put their frame manufacturing quality well above Dahon or Tern. They use state of the art robots and many modern processes. This is meant to be the best bicycle manufacturing facility in mainland China and it's also the largest cycle factory in the world. However some factories in Taiwan may beat it for quality typically those of Giant and Merida. If you can find the manufacturing country and it is China then a very strong chance. Many bikes are being made now in Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc to slightly lower standards because its more expensive to make in China now. Third party component quality is likely the same but frame manufacturing and wheel assembly/truing quality and overall assembly likely not quite as good.

Fuji-ta
Old 05-10-17, 02:20 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you had a test ride on any of your shortlist, if not I would urge you to do so. For the use you want to put a bike to I don't see that you have to spend $1000 + to get a satisfactory outcome. For my money I'd opt for the Dahon as a starter bike, it will allow you to get familiar with cycling then when you are ready to move up a level or two you will be able to sell it on without too much of a loss.
Old 05-10-17, 07:30 AM
xwave151

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shrooms
Xwave151 if you don't mind me asking why do you need a folding bike in particular? Can you commute on any other type of a bike and store it safely at work?
It's not so much that I NEED a folding commuter, it's what I would prefer given the space I have, and my living situation in the near future. I realize a folding bike that can put extra miles on it may not be the best combination....
Ultimately my goal is a good quality commuter with emphasis on lightweight and possibly a minimum of 10 gears? That is why the Tern Verge looked so attractive.
Old 05-10-17, 07:37 AM
xwave151

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
Have you had a test ride on any of your shortlist, if not I would urge you to do so. For the use you want to put a bike to I don't see that you have to spend $1000 + to get a satisfactory outcome. For my money I'd opt for the Dahon as a starter bike, it will allow you to get familiar with cycling then when you are ready to move up a level or two you will be able to sell it on without too much of a loss.
I have not had the chance to test any out. None of my local bike shops carry them.
Old 05-10-17, 09:28 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
If weight and gearing are your focus, the Origami Dragon has a carbon frame and a 9-speed gear set with a wide gear range and comes in at 23.1 lbs. The Origami Crane 8 has an aluminum frame and weighs 27.2 lbs with an 8-speed gear set. Both are available with a two-week test ride period.
Old 05-10-17, 09:37 AM
linberl

I would absolutely love to come across a used one, but I've had no luck thus far, and I haven't really seen any in my area.
What area are you located? If you can't find a quality used bike, then I'd go with the Dahon. Sometimes a downtube or other less-well-known brand works for folks who aren't going to ride daily, but you sound like you will give the bike some consistent usage so you want something that is going to be throughly reliable. Not only does Dahon have the track record, but the parts are easily obtained and any mechanic can work on one should it need it. That, plus the frame warranty, makes it fit your needs. But - have you actually ridden one?

While you can generalize rides from one full sized bike to another with a basic understanding of geometry, I think it is really important to test ride a folder. Small wheels, very different steering due to geometry, flex, etc., and (in most cases) one size fits all with limited adjustments makes riding the bike important. I initially wanted a Brompton, but could not get comfortable on any stock models, so the test ride was illuminating.

If no place near you has a Dahon to test ride, it might be worth a day trip somewhere as part of some other kind of outing perhaps.
Old 05-10-17, 11:29 AM
xwave151

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What area are you located? If you can't find a quality used bike, then I'd go with the Dahon. Sometimes a downtube or other less-well-known brand works for folks who aren't going to ride daily, but you sound like you will give the bike some consistent usage so you want something that is going to be throughly reliable. Not only does Dahon have the track record, but the parts are easily obtained and any mechanic can work on one should it need it. That, plus the frame warranty, makes it fit your needs. But - have you actually ridden one?

While you can generalize rides from one full sized bike to another with a basic understanding of geometry, I think it is really important to test ride a folder. Small wheels, very different steering due to geometry, flex, etc., and (in most cases) one size fits all with limited adjustments makes riding the bike important. I initially wanted a Brompton, but could not get comfortable on any stock models, so the test ride was illuminating.

If no place near you has a Dahon to test ride, it might be worth a day trip somewhere as part of some other kind of outing perhaps.
I'm in the South San Diego area, so nearest place I'm thinking and have found, is Los Angeles. I'd prefer to not drive up just to test drive but I may have no choice.

For all the reasons you've said, Dahon is the front runner. I am definitely planning on riding daily.
Old 05-10-17, 12:02 PM
linberl

There's a Birdy for $400 down there - don't know much about the condition, but it's a good bike! https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/6118133450.html
Old 05-10-17, 02:01 PM
xwave151

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a Birdy for $400 down there - don't know much about the condition, but it's a good bike!
So the seller of the Birdie says there's a silicon packing disk that is in the rear suspension that is worn. Other than that, the bike is in good shape. Should I bite??

Last edited by cb400bill; 05-10-17 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-10-17, 02:14 PM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm in the South San Diego area, ...
Please consider adding your location to your forum profile. This is a worldwide forum, and knowing a poster's location will usually result in better advice.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 05-10-17, 02:18 PM
xwave151

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HGR3inOK
Please consider adding your location to your forum profile. This is a worldwide forum, and knowing a poster's location will usually result in better advice. :

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA

Thank you for your advise!
Old 05-10-17, 02:54 PM
linberl

I suggest you start a new thread "birdy owners please help" or something like that...there are birdy owners on this forum. I don't know enough about that bike to be able to advise you knowledgeably. The birdy frame is very high quality from what I've learned - and you should RIDE it before you buy, of course. But get a birdy owner's opinion on the silicone thingy.
Old 05-10-17, 03:28 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
For $400? Definitely. I would expect that to fly out the door.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.