Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cino MMXXI

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-21, 04:25 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by VRJAKE
Hey, careful there, I don't like to reveal my performance enhancing hydration secrets...

Decided to drive from PDX, probably do a stay over in Coeur d' Alene. Any suggestions on the sights or eats to do in town?
Yes! Both are awesome.

Grilled cheese - https://www.meltzextreme.com/

I think better than any cheesesteak out of Philly, cheesesteak - https://www.facebook.com/bestsandwichshack
It's a food truck that never moves.
Old 07-24-21, 04:29 PM
iab

And the hospital there is nice too. Just in case.
Old 07-24-21, 05:16 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by VRJAKE
Any suggestions on the sights?
Lake CDA is nice if it isn't too crowded - and the water feels nice!

DD
Old 07-24-21, 06:25 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Well I'm out for sure on trying this year. Hadn't realized my backup for work is out of the area that weekend. So even though I have leave the following week and thought I could bail that Friday to drive up, I can't. I've got to cover on-call until he's back.

Sorta bummed, 60 miles yesterday with 2500 ft of climbing and still knocked out a 19 mph avg for another 40 miler today. The ol' body is still able to recover easily from hard days.....
Old 07-26-21, 12:57 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
mountaindave : Coming from a Cino virgin—will there be Cino jerseys this year? I'm packing along my wool jerseys, but would definitely like an event jersey if they are available.
Old 07-26-21, 06:24 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
With the craziness of supply chains this year, I didn’t want to even risk getting jerseys. I had to plan starting in the fall with my previous supplier and STILL had to get them shipped faster than normal shipping because of how long it took to get them on their end. I didn’t want to add possible supply issues into the mix.

It’s an austere Cino in the Jersey sense. I’m trying to cook up something though…
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 07-26-21, 06:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
With the craziness of supply chains this year, I didn’t want to even risk getting jerseys. I had to plan starting in the fall with my previous supplier and STILL had to get them shipped faster than normal shipping because of how long it took to get them on their end. I didn’t want to add possible supply issues into the mix.

It’s an austere Cino in the Jersey sense. I’m trying to cook up something though…
for those that want to roll their own, but modern jersey, I had good luck with Owayo.com. there are printed in Germany, so it might be tight on ordering (mine is having a fun homage to my hometown of Chinook, MT and has squirtdad on it... just have to decide if day 1 or day 2 as some friends from high school may show up at the kila pub)

Old 07-26-21, 09:15 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Understood. Everything is kind of a tough order these days, but a guy can hope.

Originally Posted by squirtdad
for those that want to roll their own, but modern jersey, I had good luck with Owayo.com. there are printed in Germany, so it might be tight on ordering (mine is having a fun homage to my hometown of Chinook, MT and has squirtdad on it... just have to decide if day 1 or day 2 as some friends from high school may show up at the kila pub)
I get my wool jerseys from Oregon Cyclewear, and they do customs. Maybe I'll have my own Cino version created for myself, but probably not until after Cino 2021.
Old 07-26-21, 09:55 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by johnnyace
Understood. Everything is kind of a tough order these days, but a guy can hope.

I get my wool jerseys from Oregon Cyclewear, and they do customs. Maybe I'll have my own Cino version created for myself, but probably not until after Cino 2021.
Cino has used them in the past, but they sell what they have in stock, there are (at least in the past) no made-to-order jerseys. They have had to switch color options last minute because there simply weren’t any others in stock.

We have yet to find a perfect solution for making custom jerseys.
Old 07-27-21, 05:39 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Cino has used them in the past, but they sell what they have in stock, there are (at least in the past) no made-to-order jerseys. They have had to switch color options last minute because there simply weren’t any others in stock.

We have yet to find a perfect solution for making custom jerseys.
Yeah, that's a fact. Their current color options are okay, but nothing I'm terribly excited about.
Old 07-27-21, 09:27 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Yeah, that's a fact. Their current color options are okay, but nothing I'm terribly excited about.
Kucharik has a better selection of colors, and can ship real fast.
Old 07-27-21, 09:33 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by gugie
Kucharik has a better selection of colors, and can ship real fast.
Ah that's right; I always forget about these guys. Bookmarked for future reference.
Old 07-27-21, 01:29 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Us C/V guys gotta know our wool sources!!
Old 07-27-21, 07:25 PM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 32 Posts
If you're driving and happen to be anywhere near the Tetons, a great place to stay on the way up to Cino is "The Climbers' Ranch" in the Grand Teton National Park. Very nice and modern bunk style accommodations and a fraction of the price of a Jackson Hole hotel (around $50.00 per person, vs $400 or so for a room in Jackson -if you can even get one), or even a camp site like KOA or Park camping. You do not need to be a climber by any stretch, but if you are a member of American Alpine Club, you get an even better discount.

Review their site to see amenities (no restaurant, but as I recall, access to stoves, sinks, etc.). Showers too. Killer views of the Tetons, but make reservations now.
And oh, great road riding in the park via a nice, uncrowded bike path and roads once that runs out...

Site with a reservations link. We stay there quite a lot and have only had positive experiences each time.
https://americanalpineclub.org/grand...limbers-ranch/

Last edited by M1T; 07-28-21 at 05:42 PM. Reason: left some details out
Old 07-28-21, 06:02 PM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Thanks for posting the elevation and grade profile!

Originally Posted by Choke
Here's the Day 1 data that I have. I'm a terrible climber and there's only one short hill that I have to walk.

Thanks for posting this... very helpful! I can deal with a 6% grade- was worried that there might be some steeper pitches in there. Looking forward to Cino to say the least.
Old 07-29-21, 07:43 AM
iab

Originally Posted by M1T
Thanks for posting this... very helpful! I can deal with a 6% grade- was worried that there might be some steeper pitches in there. Looking forward to Cino to say the least.
Those are average grades. There are steeper pitches in there. The 14% descent freaked me out a bit.

Day 1 https://ridewithgps.com/trips/56021459

Day 2 https://ridewithgps.com/trips/56085841
Old 07-29-21, 08:54 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Those are average grades. There are steeper pitches in there. The 14% descent freaked me out a bit.

Well, the broken brake cable and the use of cork brake pads on wood rims may have contributed to the pucker factor :-)

Seriously, the road surfaces are what make the climbs and descents challenging not the grades...
Old 07-29-21, 11:18 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by northbend
Seriously, the road surfaces are what make the climbs and descents challenging not the grades...
This. Experienced this on the North Trask River ride from Forest Grove to Tillamook back in 2017. Although if I recall correctly, I remember Andy_K reporting 18% grades at one point. I'm a good climber, but I had to get out and walk at least once or twice.
Old 07-29-21, 11:31 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
This. Experienced this on the North Trask River ride from Forest Grove to Tillamook back in 2017. Although if I recall correctly, I remember Andy_K reporting 18% grades at one point. I'm a good climber, but I had to get out and walk at least once or twice.
North Trask is a hiking trail that can be partially biked if you ask me. I was slowly building confidence in riding the gravel until I saw @gugie entirely swallowed by a pit of freshly poured gravel on a flat section after the big descent.
Old 07-29-21, 01:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

For those freaking out looking at the routes, please note that Dave recorded his ride from Kalispell to Hot Springs and back, whereas the ride actually starts in Kila, which knocks off some mileage from these maps - flattish miles to be sure, but mileage nonetheless.

Two years ago I rode all of Day 1, never felt I was very near getting off to push. I did have to use my two foot gear on Nine Mile Hill the second day, the actual steep part of which is "only" 5 miles or so, but is pretty damn steep.
Old 07-29-21, 08:48 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Agreed. Day One isn’t hard from a climbing perspective. Day Two has the one hard climb.

Bring agave.
Old 07-29-21, 10:37 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Everyone has their Achilles heal. On paper, the climbs seem reasonable. All sorts of things can make them more difficult than they would appear: weather, heat, gravel/rocks, logging equipment that chew roads to deep moon dust, etc.

Some of those climbs after lunch on Day 1 can be brutal in the heat. And the descents can be just as wicked. Northbend got a good photo of me bombing down one and launching my Nalgene out of the cage. I still have that Nalgene - it’s apparently bomb-proof.
Old 07-30-21, 08:56 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
the descents can be just as wicked. Northbend got a good photo of me bombing down one and launching my Nalgene out of the cage. I still have that Nalgene - it’s apparently bomb-proof.
Photo assist:
And I catch his water bottle ejecting as Dave tests the limits to his new bottle cages by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Likes For northbend:
Old 07-30-21, 09:39 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Decal on the Nalgene: Life Is Good!
Old 08-02-21, 07:39 AM
M1T

Originally Posted by iab

For a shakedown ride, I rode my 23 pound Motobecane Le Champion up Snowmass Creek Road to the end of the pavement, and continued up to the ski resort on a Forest Service road that eventually connects in with Snowmass Village. Tough in places, but no walking. But on the descent I had to stop several times to straighten my fingers out of their death grip.

The Ride with GPS info was helpful. Really looking forward to the ride...

Last edited by M1T; 08-02-21 at 07:40 AM. Reason: word

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.