Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cino MMXXI

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-21, 06:51 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,185 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Certainly it could be done on the published D2R2 or Kearsage Klassic routes. @pastorbobnlnh used to be quite close to the start of the latter in New London though he seems to spend lots of time in warmer climates these days.
Every pastor needs a global pandemic in order to force him/her into becoming a prerecorded YouTube preacher who can now work remotely like most 21st Century professionals.

However, those days are ending when we return to in-person worship on July 4th after a hiatus since March 15, 2020.

BUT, big news looms on the horizon which cannot yet be shared.

Now back to heart of Neal's post: The Kearsarge Classic is literally in my front yard here in New Hampshire and takes place the first weekend in August this summer. It used to be sponsored by the local Land Trust Conservation nonprofit and includes lakes, rivers, ponds, bogs, dirt roads, unpaved rail trails, a ton of climbing, mountain vistas, etc.. BUT it appears to have been handed off to a gravel event organization and is not a vintage event. I've been hard pressed to spot a vintage ride when they've come past my house.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 05-23-21, 10:59 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Every pastor needs a global pandemic in order to force him/her into becoming a prerecorded YouTube preacher who can now work remotely like most 21st Century professionals.

However, those days are ending when we return to in-person worship on July 4th after a hiatus since March 15, 2020.

Now back to heart of Neal's post: The Kearsarge Classic is literally in my front yard here in New Hampshire and takes place the first weekend in August this summer. It used to be sponsored by the local Land Trust Conservation nonprofit and includes lakes, rivers, ponds, bogs, dirt roads, unpaved rail trails, a ton of climbing, mountain vistas, etc.. BUT it appears to have been handed off to a gravel event organization and is not a vintage event. I've been hard pressed to spot a vintage ride when they've come past my house.
I look forward to the big reveal!

I’m signed up for Kearsage this year, but I’m likely to do it on my modern ti gravel bike rather than old-school steel.
Old 05-24-21, 05:57 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

...I’m signed up for Kearsage this year, but I’m likely to do it on my modern ti gravel bike rather than old-school steel.
Now that's not very Cino!

Let me know which route you take--- and I'll come and cheer you up one of the climbs in my best Italian.

Old 05-24-21, 11:18 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
...I'll come and cheer you up one of the climbs in my best Italian.
Old 05-24-21, 01:34 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts
Certainly it could be done on the published D2R2 or Kearsage Klassic routes. @pastorbobnlnh used to be quite close to the start of the latter in New London though he seems to spend lots of time in warmer climates these days.
Originally Posted by gugie
Just checked, there are direct flights from LaGuardia to Kalispell...just sayin'...and lots from both SEA and PDX...
Both fine points...! It’ll be nice getting back to some organized rides on new routes soon. This one’s certainly on the radar, seems like a blast.
Old 05-24-21, 01:35 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts

Hmmm, added to the list!
Old 05-24-21, 02:38 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
As with all things, COVID is impacting the park. The shuttle system will be a ticketed system for mitigation reasons. More info here.

Also, we’ve been “discovered” and GNP has been getting hammered in recent years, regularly setting records for visitation (over a million people per month!). Long story short, this year driving your own vehicle over Going to the Sun Road will be a ticketed system from 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Tickets are $2, good for a week, and most can be purchased 60 days in advance through recreation.gov here (you’ll need to make a free account). They will old back some tickets that can be purchased online 48 hrs before they are valid. More info here.

This is one of the reasons I was so bummed that avalanche danger closed the sun road at the loop last week. It was stunning weather and the whole family was ready to ride... only to be stopped 1/3 of the way up. It may be the last time we’re able to get up there during the day until after Memorial Day. Unless we get there before 6:00 AM (moonlight ride!). However, traffic has been bumper to bumper with parking filled and something has to be done. We’ll see how this new system shakes out. I hope the poor people manning the gates get hazard pay...

That being said, there are plenty other areas of the park and the Flathead Valley to visit. To be honest, the east side is my favorite and both Two Medicine and Many Glacier are spectacular places to visit - neither require using the sun road. It’s just farther to go from Kalispell.
Yep, Glacier has been an annual pilgrimage for me since the early 90's. Now I don't know if I'll over go back. It's turned into such a zoo anymore. At least I got swimming in Iceberg Lake off my bucket list several years ago.
Old 05-24-21, 08:07 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
...but did you cross off staying overnight in Hot Springs?
Or biking the nine miles up Ten Mile Hill?
Or eating the bacon/drinking the whiskey from The Bacon Babe?
Old 05-26-21, 06:57 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

...BUT, big news looms on the horizon which cannot yet be shared. ...
I look forward to the big reveal!
I did it! I announced my retirement to the leadership of our congregation last night. They will begin looking for an interim/transitional pastor as I plan to step into the golden years by the end of September.

The plan at the moment is to keep our small summer cottage in NH and spend October through May on the coast of GA. Which will mean most of the Bike Shop and all of Freewheel Spa will relocate to GA.

Finally--- I'll be able to participate in events such as Cino! etc.!

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 05-26-21, 07:02 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
I did it! I announced my retirement to the leadership of our congregation last night. They will begin looking for an interim/transitional pastor as I plan to step into the golden years by the end of September.
Congratulations, enjoy!
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 05-26-21, 09:15 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Congrats, Bob! That's a wonderful plan. It won't be long until I follow (but not quite soon enough).
Likes For nlerner:
Old 05-26-21, 01:55 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

The plan at the moment is to keep our small summer cottage in NH and spend October through May on the coast of GA. Which will mean most of the Bike Shop and all of Freewheel Spa will relocate to GA.

Finally--- I'll be able to participate in events such as Cino! etc.!
It'll be great to get a chance to meet you Pastor Bob! Looking forward to crossiing paths sometime soon!
Old 05-26-21, 09:53 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
So are all the cool kids going to ride both Eroica and Cino this year? I'd really like to ride Cino this year (especially since the previous year I planned to do it was the year that @mountaindave decided to take a break (2019?)). However, I'm already set up to do both Touroica and Eroica California this year. I'm not sure if the family would be too thrilled if I did two big bike vacations in a row. If Cino was closer and just a weekend I'd do it, but we're talking 4 long days of driving plus 2 days of Cino. On top of that, if I drove up there the family would want to come along then they'd want to visit friends along the way, then hit Yellowstone, the Tetons, Glacier, etc., which would make it a mega production. Perhaps this will happen next year when I hope to be retired. I'm just a bit nervous that mountaindave will take another break then.
Old 05-26-21, 10:58 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
. I'm just a bit nervous that mountaindave will take another break then.
Covid made us take a break. It was a “locals only” event last year. : thumb: I don’t plan on letting Cino drop. It’s a living thing, I don’t think it can die!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 05-27-21, 06:29 AM
rccardr 

I'm trying to figure out a way to do both. Right now am scheduled to ride the Dairyland Dare in early August, but if I bump that, Cino becomes possible...
Old 05-27-21, 09:41 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

So are all the cool kids going to ride both Eroica and Cino this year?
I plan on doing both. Fly in Friday, fly out Monday.

Originally Posted by mountaindave
I don’t plan on letting Cino drop. It’s a living thing, I don’t think it can die!
This is becoming the Pasadena Vintage ride of Montana - the ride goes on even if nobody shows up.

Originally Posted by rccardr
I'm trying to figure out a way to do both. Right now am scheduled to ride the Dairyland Dare in early August, but if I bump that, Cino becomes possible...
Cino, Cino, Cino...
Old 05-27-21, 09:52 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Really? DD or Cino?

It is quite possibly the easiest decision ever made. Like the Charles Barkley ad.

Likes For iab:
Old 05-27-21, 10:02 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,810 Times in 1,534 Posts
I am in san jose and am planning to drive as I will visit my dad (Chinook hometown) and brothers (Bozeman and Helena) in Montana

I am driving a sedan (audi a4) but could take at least one or 2 bikes in addition to mine if someone from the bay area wanted to fly in....

Old 05-27-21, 11:01 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I am in san jose and am planning to drive as I will visit my dad (Chinook hometown) and brothers (Bozeman and Helena) in Montana

I am driving a sedan (audi a4) but could take at least one or 2 bikes in addition to mine if someone from the bay area wanted to fly in....
Hmmm. That's a nice offer! I might want to take you up on that since all the flights to Kalispell appear to be on puddle jumpers that I'm guessing can't take bikes. If I could make it a weekend trip instead of an extended expedition then the family might not object.

In case the squirtdad transport doesn't work out, has anybody had any experience taking bikes on smaller aircraft like Embrauer 175s or DeHavilland Dash-8s? Is it even possible?
Old 05-27-21, 11:39 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Hmmm. That's a nice offer! I might want to take you up on that since all the flights to Kalispell appear to be on puddle jumpers that I'm guessing can't take bikes. If I could make it a weekend trip instead of an extended expedition then the family might not object.

In case the squirtdad transport doesn't work out, has anybody had any experience taking bikes on smaller aircraft like Embrauer 175s or DeHavilland Dash-8s? Is it even possible?
PDX to Kalispell uses the DeHavilland Dash-8. I flew with my bike in a case two years ago, so yeah, you can bring a bike on board. Checking from Oakland to Kalispell at least one airline uses an Airbus 319, which is much larger. I like flying Alaska with a bike, they only charge $25, but I have an Alaska Airlines affinity credit card, so mine goes free.

Fly out Friday, fly back Monday and you're gold.
Old 05-27-21, 12:22 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

I just checked and Southwest currently offers a decent under $400 round trip from NH to Spokane, WA. My issue would be that my only current bike which is easily packable and fits in a suitcase as checked luggage is this;

While it is steel, and I friction shift from barends, it's not very Cino.

Old 05-27-21, 12:31 PM
rccardr 

Originally Posted by iab
Really? DD or Cino? It is quite possibly the easiest decision ever made.
In my case, need to ensure appropriate spacing between jumping on a plane and our anniversary.
At this point looks like a go, depending on flight schedules!

Plus, this being the first actual year that the new organizer is managing DD, might be worth waiting a year to see how it goes. Last time was a big disappointment.
Old 05-27-21, 12:48 PM
iab

the new organizer is managing DD
Is the same organizer of the HHH. You couldn't pay me to ride that ride. ymmv.
Old 05-27-21, 12:57 PM
iab

Which brings up a point that I don't understand.

In Wisconsin, the HHH was the first challenge ride (10,000 climbing in 100 miles) in the driftless area. Horrible rest stops. Cyclists are hammerheads just looking for a personal best. Sells out every year. I think they are on a lottery system. Stu, not much liking the attitude of the cyclists and horrible rest stops, starts the DD as an alternative challenge ride in the driftless area. Makes a great atmosphere and rest stops. Never sold out, ever.

Cino I think limits to 150, but I doubt they would get much more than that. Eroica CA, while doesn't sell out, certainly flirts with 1000 riders who are continually wringing their hands about gearing, what to wear, what bike to ride, covid, you name it.

So why do the crappy rides do well and the good rides do crappy?
Old 05-27-21, 01:04 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
I just checked and Southwest currently offers a decent under $400 round trip from NH to Spokane, WA. My issue would be that my only current bike which is easily packable and fits in a suitcase as checked luggage is this;

While it is steel, and I friction shift from barends, it's not very Cino.
You are mistaken Pastorbob! That is very Cino.
Case in point, Ross Murray. He rode this to Cino fame a few years back.
Winning the "I'm glad I wasn't riding that guys bike" award the first year he attended.
The small diameter wheels and narrow tires were a real challenge and he was rightfully recognized for his panache.
Cino Hero by Cino Rider, on Flickr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.