Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

College Cruiser

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

College Cruiser

Old 01-28-18, 12:09 AM
woodybr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nighttrain
Congrats, that’s a good deal on a fine bike. During my college years even a short ride would clear the mind and increase mental acuity. That was a long time ago. Now I sometimes forget the route home.

Good luck with your studies!
Thanks!

Old 01-28-18, 07:35 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice.
Old 01-29-18, 08:36 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Sweet!!!
Old 01-31-18, 02:18 AM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Wow, assuming that's in good shape that is a great deal. I sold a single speed Townie for $165 barely trying.

Since you were looking at SB C/L, I assume you might be attending UCSB or nearby. My niece went there, lost a bike a year so buy a good U lock, and always lock it.

3 main things for maintenance:

1) the steel parts will rust being near the ocean, keep the chain lubed.
2) Nothing kills tires more than under inflation. Keep them pumped up. Check every week or two.
3) Depending on how much you ride it, if the gears don't shift correctly, the deraileur (or mount) may be bent or the cable may be stretched. Keep it tuned up and look on Youtube for tips. At first deraileurs are intimidating but they are pretty simple once you get the hang of things. I would have gone with a single speed for simplicity but that's a great bike.

Bonus:4) keep the brakes tuned up for when you REALLY need them. 5) Oh and grab a light. Awesome rechargeable lights from Performance are cheap now (<$50) and make a huge difference in night riding. Anything 300 lumens or more from a name brand will be more than sufficient. They clip onto the handlebar and when you park it, you just slide it off, pocket it and off you go.

Have fun.
Old 01-31-18, 09:45 AM
woodybr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HBCruiser1
Wow, assuming that's in good shape that is a great deal. I sold a single speed Townie for $165 barely trying.

Since you were looking at SB C/L, I assume you might be attending UCSB or nearby. My niece went there, lost a bike a year so buy a good U lock, and always lock it.

3 main things for maintenance:

1) the steel parts will rust being near the ocean, keep the chain lubed.
2) Nothing kills tires more than under inflation. Keep them pumped up. Check every week or two.
3) Depending on how much you ride it, if the gears don't shift correctly, the deraileur (or mount) may be bent or the cable may be stretched. Keep it tuned up and look on Youtube for tips. At first deraileurs are intimidating but they are pretty simple once you get the hang of things. I would have gone with a single speed for simplicity but that's a great bike.

Bonus:4) keep the brakes tuned up for when you REALLY need them. 5) Oh and grab a light. Awesome rechargeable lights from Performance are cheap now (<$50) and make a huge difference in night riding. Anything 300 lumens or more from a name brand will be more than sufficient. They clip onto the handlebar and when you park it, you just slide it off, pocket it and off you go.

Have fun.
Yep, that is correct. And that's also the reason why I didn't want to save some more money and, for example, buy a new Townie, but instead went with this used 2013 Cruiser 7D. I have bought a u-lock and that's how the bike sits most of the times:

Thanks for the tips! I really needed it.
1) I expected the bike to be a lot rustier, given that it's 5 yrs old. It all looks good. Only the handlebar has some rust spot starting to cut through the paint.
2) I'll keep an eye out for the tires as well.
3) I use it every day but for short periods of time (maybe 4 x 15 min rides /day). So far shifting has worked ok, no major issues. Sometimes I shift and it takes a few seconds to actually shift, helped by the bike's movement (bumps) but nothing really big.
4) I had them adjusted when I got the bike. Will pay attention.
5) YES. Most days I come back from campus at night and it's really dark. I'm not really worried about not seeing stuff, but more about not being seen. People cross the bike lane looking at their phones all the time. I bought a cheapo ($20) set of rechargeable headlights/tail lights off Amazon. That will do for the moment and my budget.

I really appreciate the tips!
Old 02-02-18, 04:12 PM
dviada

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are many 3 and 7 speed Beach Cruisers that are in your price range. You can purchase brand new from eBay and shipping should be free. The only thing you need to assemble is putting the wheels on the bike. It's simple and easy. If you aren't doing a lot of steep hills I would recommend a 7 speed Men's Beach Cruiser over the 3 speed. Sounds odd but the 7 speed is generally cheaper than the 3 speed.
Old 02-03-18, 12:06 AM
woodybr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dviada
There are many 3 and 7 speed Beach Cruisers that are in your price range. You can purchase brand new from eBay and shipping should be free. The only thing you need to assemble is putting the wheels on the bike. It's simple and easy. If you aren't doing a lot of steep hills I would recommend a 7 speed Men's Beach Cruiser over the 3 speed. Sounds odd but the 7 speed is generally cheaper than the 3 speed.
Hey, thanks for the input! As you can see from the posts and pictures above, I ended up going for a used one, but in great shape, for a lot less ($140). And, yes, at first I also found it odd, until I understood that the 3-speed internal-gear hubs are more expensive than the 7-speed derailleurs.
Old 06-22-22, 01:16 PM
Bernicegeor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to, if you have to ride more I recommend you to stretch your budget and get an electro bike, it will be much better.
Old 06-23-22, 10:26 AM
Ronwalker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like cycling, it keeps me fit, but electro would make me fat, so I prefer traditional bikes. Besides that, I prefer to buy something cheap, like a dissertation from a writing service like https://edubirdie.com/cheap-disserta...iting-services. I prefer to ride my bike more but also because of work, and I need help with homework because I can't do it. I hope to finish college soon and have more free time for my favourite hobby.

Last edited by Ronwalker; 07-03-22 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-23-22, 09:10 PM
Roll123

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Single speed beach cruiser with uphill rides is great exercise!