Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

New wheels for old bike?

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

New wheels for old bike?

Old 07-05-21, 12:56 PM
SteveG23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
New wheels for old bike?

My wife has not ridden in many years until recently. She is now trying to get back into riding (just on local streets and paved trails). She is small and has an old 24" mountain bike that fits her correctly, but over the years the wheel rims have rusted enough that I can't make them smooth enough for really good braking. Two questions:

1. It's an old (probably late 1990s; we bought it used) Roadmaster with 15 speeds (3 chainrings, five rear gears, Shimano derailleur). Can I safely assume the five gears are a cassette that can be removed and mounted on a replacement wheel?

2. I am having a hard time finding a wheelset for as few as 5 speeds on the rear wheel; and it has 24 x 2.00 tires. Most say they are for 7, 8, or 9 speeds and 2 x 1.5 or 1.75. Any suggestions? I would not necessarily object to going to 24 x 1.75; I assume I can adjust the brakes to match.

Yes, we probably will wind up with a new bike, but I want to try the less expensive options first, to get this one in safe condition to ride a bit so we have a basis for deciding what she needs next.
Old 07-05-21, 06:06 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
First you need to determine if your existing wheels use a cassette or a freewheel. https://pedalchile.com/blog/freewheel-vs-cassette
That is a very entry level bike (cheap) so it might have used a freewheel instead of a cassette. A new 5 speed cassette is pretty cheap but the replacement wheelset is not and even a cheap set is more than the bike is worth. You are probably far better off junking the bike. Spend some time looking for a used bike that fits her instead.

If you are bound and determined to use the old bike you can have new 24" rims put on the existing wheels but buying the rims and having the wheels rebuilt by a bike shop will probably still cost you more than the bike is worth. Figure needing a set of spokes too if you replace the rims.
Old 07-05-21, 08:27 PM
SteveG23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
First you need to determine if your existing wheels use a cassette or a freewheel. https://pedalchile.com/blog/freewheel-vs-cassette
Thanks - I did not fully appreciate the difference. Now that I see, that's something I can check. If the gear cluster is freewheel type, I have found a replacement rear wheel that would make the bike almost like new for far less than I would pay for a new one. [[url]https://www.modernbike.com/wheel-master-24-rear-steel-cruiser-comfort-bolt-on-axle-5-6-7-speed-freewheel] But I agree with your advice to "Spend some time looking for a used bike that fits her instead," and if I can find that, so much the better.

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
If you are bound and determined to use the old bike you can have new 24" rims put on the existing wheels
I certainly do not have sufficient attachment to this one to justify that effort and cost! But I appreciate you mentioning it. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-21, 11:18 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Like has been said, look for a complete bike first. Would she be ok on a 26 inch? There are many more of them.

If you do change the wheel on the existing, you don't have to stay with 5 speed. You could get a 6 or 7 speed wheel. You could probably set up the existing derailleur so 5 of those can be used.
Old 07-07-21, 01:03 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Try just sanding down the rust on the rims first. Aluminum foil makes an OK rust sanding medium.

Yes you can remove the freewheel and reuse it. You’ll need a special tool.

Yes you can buy a wheel for six or 7 speeds and remount your 5 speed freewheel. There will likely be an axle spacer that makes the difference. Reuse the axle spacer from the 5 speed wheel. You might have to redish the wheel.

I’m doing these steps to a bike right now. Way more of a PITA than it’s worth. I’m only doing it to learn.

I also want to build a wheel- also more of a PITA than it’s worth and only want to do it to learn.
Old 07-07-21, 01:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
You should be able screw a 5-speed freewheel on any wheel that is marked 5/6/7 FREEWHEEL (or upgrade depending on your shifters).

The "Modern Bike" link above lists "135 OLD". That is the measurement between the dropouts on the bike. You should be able to adjust the width, especially with a 5-speed freewheel, but that is another potential complication. Ideally after adjusting spacers, you should also adjust the dish and truing of the wheel.

These are listed as having an aluminum rim, alloy hubs, quick release, freewheel. "135 OLD".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124753028062

The anodized brake track will eventually wear some, but that is OK.
Old 04-15-22, 11:05 AM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Honestly, you'll spend too much on new rims. Find another 24" bike with aluminum rims and just swap or get another used, better bike is my $.02
Likes For restlessswind:
Old 04-19-22, 11:07 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Roadmaster is the cheap Walmart brand. And a 20+ year old Walmart bike is not worth much. I would not bother to replace the wheels on that bike unless with some better 24" from a cheap used bike. Otherwise you probably pay more for fixing up than for a decent newer used bike. The classifieds are full of decent used bikes. I would also recommend getting a bike with 26" wheels. The 24" wheels are a bit of an odd size and not that common and tires and tubes can be more difficult to find.
Old 04-21-22, 04:18 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Mrs SteveG23 deserves a new bike, or at the very least a very good used one. One she can test ride beforehand or she likely won't like it.
Likes For FBOATSB: