Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Custom CNC Services

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Custom CNC Services

Old 05-23-22, 05:38 PM
Entropy_S

Bikes: Diamondback Response DB78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Custom CNC Services

Kind of an odd ball question, but are there folks here who own or operate CNC machines that can do custom part requests? For example, I have an older mountain bike which has a 3x chainring and I want to fit it with a chainring guard and/or bash ring. Thing is, I don’t want to remove the outer chainring (making it a 2x) in order to do this, as I want to keep all three gears in place.

For reference, my MTB uses a 3x chainring with four bolt holes, with the biggest gear being 42-teeth, and a BCD of about 135mm.
Old 05-23-22, 08:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Sure there are hobby people w/ CNC stuff, although a one off can be easier to make on a manual machine often The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS and Forum list | The Hobby-Machinist are two machine tool work forums I follow. Then there's the on line contract services like CNC Manufacturing, Fast Quotes & Free CAD | eMachineShop to consider.

When I read threads like this one I do wonder if the OP understands the real life cost of such a project. Andy
Old 05-24-22, 04:57 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Design the part you want in CAD and send it to someplace like https://www.xometry.com/ to have it made. I think you'll be shocked at the price for a single machined part. It seems to me that your issue would be less of finding a bash guard and more of finding chainring bolts long enough to go through 4 rings and the crankarm.
Old 05-24-22, 05:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I find arguments against 2x to be less than compelling. Are you sprinting in the pro peloton on your mtb?
Old 05-24-22, 05:35 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Design the part you want in CAD

The second most difficult part of the project.... after learning the CAD program. Even a free/cheap simple one like Sketchup, is non trivial. Solidworks > fuggetaboutit.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 05-24-22 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-24-22, 06:55 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

designing a chain ring in solidworks is on the list of things to do. After designing some lugs to be 3d printed.
Considerably after.
Old 05-24-22, 06:57 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Here is a bash guard that will fit a 4 arm 104 BCD crankset, which is what the Truvativ Isoflow 3.0 should be. https://www.ebay.com/itm/11311473077...Cclp%3A2047675

How to mount it will be a challenge and I question the need for such things. In 20 plus years of off road riding, I've only damaged one chainring.
Old 05-24-22, 09:19 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Here's the last bent ring I did, also the first Don't think a bash guard would have made any difference. Andy
Old 05-24-22, 08:16 PM
Entropy_S

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I find arguments against 2x to be less than compelling. Are you sprinting in the pro peloton on your mtb?
Well, no. The MTB is older, true, and I can't see burying the bike for a new one and/or replacing the entire crankset if there's a soul out there looking for CNC or even 3D printing work.
Old 05-25-22, 06:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Sorry for belaboring this. You can get 2x chainrings and a bash guard for that crank, I'm not advising you to discard the bike. It's just that I suspect you don't really need the 48 or whatever it is and that solves the problem. The whole world is going to 1x on mtb for pretty good reasons. But that means a whole new drivetrain, whereas 2x doesn't. Unfortunately, only 1x is easy to get. At least that was the case a couple of months ago when I tried to replace the 2x chain rings on one of my mtb cranks. It was for my gravel bike, so the crank having 42/28 chain rings works pretty well, and I didn't want to get a new drivetrain. I didn't search amazon/ebay/alibaba though, might be able to get parts there.

There used to be a guy that machined chainrings that hung around on a couple of bike related forums. He also had some contact with a CNC community I'm part of. I think that he started Wolftooth, but I can't find any evidence of that. Even if I'm wrong about who that was, it took him quite a bit of effort to get to the point where he was making usable chain rings. It's a lot of effort if you aren't doing it already.

You're actually asking for design/process development/build help so probably nobody is going to want to do it. My friends and family rate on that would surely be enough to buy a mountain bike at a bike shop.
Old 05-25-22, 01:13 PM
Entropy_S

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
You're actually asking for design/process development/build help so probably nobody is going to want to do it. My friends and family rate on that would surely be enough to buy a mountain bike at a bike shop.
You're making an excellent case in convincing me to just get a new (or new to me!) mountain bike, LOL!
Likes For Entropy_S:
Old 05-25-22, 01:51 PM
greasemonkey

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I can help with the CAD design if you wish
Old 05-25-22, 02:37 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Design the part you want in CAD and send it to someplace like https://www.xometry.com/ to have it made. I think you'll be shocked at the price for a single machined part. It seems to me that your issue would be less of finding a bash guard and more of finding chainring bolts long enough to go through 4 rings and the crankarm.
I do things for a decent price. but the hard part is getting the cad file.
Old 05-25-22, 06:09 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Here's the last bent ring I did, also the first Don't think a bash guard would have made any difference. Andy
good job on that

Old 05-25-22, 06:10 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Entropy_S
You're making an excellent case in convincing me to just get a new (or new to me!) mountain bike, LOL!
that is called win win N+1