Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting old is tough

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Getting old is tough

Old 05-24-22, 07:23 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Getting old is tough

This old girl is starting to show her age with some superficial surface rust under the cables and near the seams as well as the paint is showing very fine cracks. Nothing too serious ( I hope) and not seen from a distance but I decided to dress her up a bit with new matching colour tires, new bar tape and bottle cage and some paint touch ups where I removed the rust.

I know the decals are easy to find out there but need to find a reasonably priced organization to refurbish it. Of the few places I've looked at, they've been quoting me prices that would allow me to buy an Italian vintage bike of the same vintage in much nicer shape!

Old 05-24-22, 08:04 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
That bike still looks better than either of my (two decades newer?) bikes. Love the chrome fork!

I'm getting cautious, and thinking about replacing the bike that has 60,000 miles on the frame. All new bike has nothing to do with the decision, of course. (Hey mister, want to buy a bridge?)
Old 05-24-22, 08:25 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Take your glasses off when cleaning and polishing.
or
Accept the 8 foot perspective. Patina always looks better when viewed from ~8'.
Old 05-24-22, 08:30 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

pdlamb, well that's because I didn't zoom in so you don't see all the lines! At least the front fork is still in great condition.

Wildwood, i think that's the best advice to deal with the natural effects of aging. It's a nice bike but only has value to me so not really worth the cost of professional restoration.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 05-24-22, 09:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
If it's just a little cosmetic stuff why worry? If you really want to have it restored, that's up to you. Friends have done it because they wanted to, not because it made financial sense.
One friend had his Paramount 50th anniversary frame painted by Cyclart in San Diego. Cost a lot but came out beautiful. Another friend had his Landshark repaired and painted by Landshark after a crash. Cost as much as he paid for the bike used, but he wanted it.
Old 05-24-22, 10:23 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
It never makes financial sense to restore an old frame, but it sure is fun anyway. I’ve done a few with Yellow Jersey in Arlington WI, very happy with the results, and the price.
Tim

Likes For tkamd73:
Old 05-25-22, 11:17 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Need to find a reasonably priced organization to refurbish it.
​​​​​​It's a very simple machine, and with $100 worth of tools, almost anybody can fully overhaul it.

When you're rerouting the brake cables, move the rear cable away from the head tube onto the non drive side of the front cable. If you wish to do this now, simply loosen the cable anchor of the front caliper and pull the stem out of the steerer.
Old 05-26-22, 05:19 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Love the relaxed geometry, bet it rides like a Caddy.
Old 05-26-22, 07:00 AM
gthomson

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
​​​​​​It's a very simple machine, and with $100 worth of tools, almost anybody can fully overhaul it.

When you're rerouting the brake cables, move the rear cable away from the head tube onto the non drive side of the front cable. If you wish to do this now, simply loosen the cable anchor of the front caliper and pull the stem out of the steerer.
Oh good catch, thank you. I had to get under the brake cable along the top tube because that's where most of the rust was so I decided to replace the brake cable and the bar tape and did not to think to put the cable back where it belonged. I didn't remove the cable housing because it was stuck in those holders tight and I didn't want to rip or cut it out because of fear of not being able to find white cable housing again.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 05-26-22, 07:06 PM
gthomson

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Love the relaxed geometry, bet it rides like a Caddy.
To be honest, it really does ride like the smoothest classic car you can imagine but can also really move when you push down on the pedals. Reynolds 453 butted tubing so it's got a good foundation.
Old 05-26-22, 08:39 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I jumped on this thread because i thought it was about the rider, not the ride. Sorry, my bad.... Hey, don't blame me, it's in the 50+ sub forum after all.

(This old girl is starting to show her age with some superficial surface rust under the cables and near the seams as well as the paint is showing very fine cracks. Nothing too serious ( I hope)

Seriously, nice bike. Tires really set it off.
Old 05-28-22, 11:21 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
I jumped on this thread because i thought it was about the rider, not the ride. Sorry, my bad.... Hey, don't blame me, it's in the 50+ sub forum after all.

(This old girl is starting to show her age with some superficial surface rust under the cables and near the seams as well as the paint is showing very fine cracks. Nothing too serious ( I hope)

Yes - great looking bike

The tires caught my eye also

looking for tires for an old Schwinn Peloton (lugged/Columbus SL tubing) I have not ridden in 20 or so years

At the time I used Michelin Super Comp HD - also Axial Pro - and Continental GP's

25mm should work - might not have clearance for 28mm and larger

Prefer tan wall - but the red walls might look good on the Peloton

Last edited by t2p; 05-28-22 at 11:24 AM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 05-30-22, 06:58 AM
gthomson

Originally Posted by SpedFast

Thanks and well, I could have easily posted this with a picture of me because the same thing is happening to me but the bike looks way better than I do!!! But seriously, getting old is tough and I could go on and on about the reasons why but I'm sure no one wants to hear that.
Likes For gthomson: