Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Does a 1996 Trek 820 have value?

Old 06-15-22, 04:31 PM
trekstyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does a 1996 Trek 820 have value?

I have a 1996 Trek 820 with the fade green paint job. It still has the original tires on it, but this morning I rode about 6 miles and noticed a thump every rotation and I find a side wall has ripped.It's in
decent condition has rust on some spokes and a little on the handle bar. It is a big bike for me I have a hard time getting my leg over the seat, OK, if I'm on the pedal.
Anyway, just trying to decide if I want to buy a new tire and tune this up or buy a new smaller bike. Does this have any value as a classic bike. How much?
I'm new, can't post a picture until I have 10 posts. If you want to see a picture, email me.
Old 06-15-22, 06:43 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
A bird in the hand...
You can do a lot of cool things to an 820.

How much seat post shows on your 820?
Don't get a smaller bike until you are certain that your 820 is TOO big.
Old 06-15-22, 07:15 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to Appraisals

Old 06-16-22, 09:10 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by trekstyle
I have a 1996 Trek 820 with the fade green paint job. It still has the original tires on it, but this morning I rode about 6 miles and noticed a thump every rotation and I find a side wall has ripped.It's in
decent condition has rust on some spokes and a little on the handle bar. It is a big bike for me I have a hard time getting my leg over the seat, OK, if I'm on the pedal.
Anyway, just trying to decide if I want to buy a new tire and tune this up or buy a new smaller bike. Does this have any value as a classic bike. How much?
I'm new, can't post a picture until I have 10 posts. If you want to see a picture, email me.

none of us can straddle our seat and touch the ground at the same time if the seat height is right.

you just have to straddle the top tube and with the first pedal stroke use the momentum to hoist yourself onto the seat and go
Old 06-16-22, 09:47 AM
trekstyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
none of us can straddle our seat and touch the ground at the same time if the seat height is right.

you just have to straddle the top tube and with the first pedal stroke use the momentum to hoist yourself onto the seat and go
Well that's interesting, and yes, I have first pedal stroke hoist long figured out. But on occasion I have to lift my 67 year old leg over the top of the seat and it's getting more difficult.
I like the bike, It seems to have held up well, just trying to decide if I want to spend money on it or buy a new one. Now leaning towards keeping it.
Old 06-16-22, 10:08 AM
trekstyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, I already had the two cup holders, until it got stolen and someone thought they would disguise it by removing one cup holder and taking off my mirror.
I had pictures of the guy from the store I was at, made a police report. Walked home called my wife and told her my bike was stolen. About 6 hours after the theft, she left work early, "to find my bike" (ya). Well she called me and ask me about the writing on the seat, it sounded like my bike, I drove about 6 blocks saw the bike,with the perp sitting near it, I reached for this huge silver chain around his neck and he deflected my arm, and the chase was on. He got away. So, I loaded up the bike in my pickup truck and took a circuitous route back home looking for him. I found him, pulled over with great authority I said SIT DOWN. His hands went up and he started circling around me and off running. Hmm, that didn't work! This time I followed him with my truck, and pinned him in a block where I just kept driving from end to end as he walked one way then the other. Meanwhile my wife caught up and called a friend that is a policeman, he was in his police car 2 blocks away. the guy was arrested and served 4 days. So, I got the bike back missing a cup holder, my tool bag and my chain lock.
One thing I see I want are some handle bars that swing back towards the seat and are raised. I don't crouch to ride I sit more straight up. I get some wrist pain from leaning forward on the almost straight handlebar on a longer ride. Since no one jumped in and said you, can get be dollars for that. I'll probably hang on to it, spend some money getting tires and maybe a new handle bar and call it good.
Old 06-16-22, 07:33 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
By 1996, the Trek 820 was a basic bike. As far as getting your leg over the bike, lean it over first. I can't do it without leaning the bike.

Investigate North Roads style bars. I have done that to several MTBs. Its a cheap conversion, as I reuse all of the controls, may need some longer cables.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 06-16-22, 11:34 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by trekstyle
...Since no one jumped in and said you, can get be dollars for that. I'll probably hang on to it, spend some money getting tires and maybe a new handle bar and call it good.
Your Trek 820 has little collector value, but does have value as a working bike. In my market, around $100 if it is in working condition. It needing a tire(s) means it is worth less.