Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Cycling to top of Mount Mitchell

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Cycling to top of Mount Mitchell

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-22, 05:35 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
I rode that route May 15th, and there was no water available at the Craggy Gardens visitor center. It was closed, and restrooms were locked. The only water was from the sink at the Mt Mitchell visitor center, 2 miles from the summit.

Kudos.

Agree cyclists riding in this area really need to plan for water. The bathroom sink at the ranger station a couple miles before the summit is probably your best bet.
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-28-22, 11:31 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
I've got a trip planned for first week of September (I was considering a trip in 2020 when I first posted this in early covid but didn't end up going) We're staying at a place about twenty miles from the summit (near Burnsville) so the most convenient route would be from my doorstep, Route 80 south for around 4.5 miles, onto the Blue Ridge Parkway, then up 128. Looks like no water on the way up going that route but it's 20 miles and around 4,400 feet vertical so I should be able to carry enough food and water (and maybe recruit my wife to drive support).

I'll see when I'm there about doing another route from the Folk Art Center through Craggy Gardens and up to the summit. Doing that route, I'd definitely ask my wife for SAG support and probably hop in the car for the ride back as going up will definitely test my limits

Won't lie, at 69 years old when I go up, I'm a bit nervous but I'll feel worse if I don't even try than if I try and don't make it all the way.
Do not depend on that snack shack at the summit parking lot. It will probably be closed after labor day. I was there years ago on Columbus day and don't remember it being open. Water IS a problem most everywhere on the BRP not to mention the access road to Mitchell. Then it also depends on the weather. If it is really hot, you will need some SAG. If the temps are mild, you might make it but then you have a return trip to worry about. It is tricky. If you scout the route before hand, you can always stash a bottle or two at one of the overlooks. Then again, that scouting trip may scare the crap out of you and cause you to bag this crazy idea.

Now, I did a summit when I was 60 and it was not real fun until you make it. The descent is a lot of fun though. The access road is much steeper than the BRP and one of the times I did the summit, I came across a group of Model T folks driving to a show in Atlanta and they were traveling the BRP and decided to go for the summit. I met them at the ranger station parking lot as I was taking a break. Many of the cars did not make the summit as one owner told me his car could not make the climb. Made me feel good that I was doing it, yet a car could not even though it was a Model T.

Anyway, have fun. The ride either from the south or north is pretty epic as you move along the ridgeline. The views are great which helps with the suffering. Depending on how late in September, you might get some leaf changes too.

john
Old 06-28-22, 12:51 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74
Do not depend on that snack shack at the summit parking lot. It will probably be closed after labor day. I was there years ago on Columbus day and don't remember it being open. Water IS a problem most everywhere on the BRP not to mention the access road to Mitchell. Then it also depends on the weather. If it is really hot, you will need some SAG. If the temps are mild, you might make it but then you have a return trip to worry about. It is tricky. If you scout the route before hand, you can always stash a bottle or two at one of the overlooks. Then again, that scouting trip may scare the crap out of you and cause you to bag this crazy idea.

Now, I did a summit when I was 60 and it was not real fun until you make it. The descent is a lot of fun though. The access road is much steeper than the BRP and one of the times I did the summit, I came across a group of Model T folks driving to a show in Atlanta and they were traveling the BRP and decided to go for the summit. I met them at the ranger station parking lot as I was taking a break. Many of the cars did not make the summit as one owner told me his car could not make the climb. Made me feel good that I was doing it, yet a car could not even though it was a Model T.

Anyway, have fun. The ride either from the south or north is pretty epic as you move along the ridgeline. The views are great which helps with the suffering. Depending on how late in September, you might get some leaf changes too.

john
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I don't expect the climb to be any fun at all . Good advice on the water. I'll likely carry a third bottle with me and ride earlier in the morning so hopefully it won't be too warm yet. But, I'll be traveling with my wife, who isn't a cyclist, so I likely will ask her to drive support (wouldn't be the first time!). Thanks again!
Old 09-09-22, 04:31 AM
dennis336

So, 2 years after my original post, I made it to north Carolina and cycled up mount Mitchell. I rode from where we were staying about 5 miles north of the BRP. So, not as much route 80 climbing as coming up from Marion. But, still enough for these 69 year old legs! It was Labor Day weekend so quite a few others cyclists. Fun and rewarding experience! Thanks for all the tips and responses!
Likes For dennis336:
Old 09-09-22, 05:44 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by dennis336
So, 2 years after my original post, I made it to north Carolina and cycled up mount Mitchell. I rode from where we were staying about 5 miles north of the BRP. So, not as much route 80 climbing as coming up from Marion. But, still enough for these 69 year old legs! It was Labor Day weekend so quite a few others cyclists. Fun and rewarding experience! Thanks for all the tips and responses!
Kudos! Pics??
Old 09-09-22, 05:50 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by datlas
Kudos! Pics??
I realized I never posted mine from this past spring. Better late than never:

Likes For datlas:
Old 09-10-22, 03:17 PM
dennis336

Originally Posted by datlas
Kudos! Pics??
I'm not going to lie ... just about everyone I had a conversation with during our vacation, I managed to insert the fact that I cycled up Mount Mitchell .... pretty shameless ....

Likes For dennis336:
Old 09-10-22, 03:19 PM
dennis336

datlas, Nice pics, looks like you had a great day! The last couple miles of Route 128 were in the clouds on my day although below that and on the BRP, quite beautiful!