Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

POC Octal helmet pads?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

POC Octal helmet pads?

Old 06-22-22, 10:14 PM
fkfw

Bikes: Volagi Liscio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
POC Octal helmet pads?

I've been looking for POC Octal helmet pads for the better part of two years. I've written to POC and they are zero help - no clue when the pads will be available. (REALLY?) I've looked everywhere for them. I like the helmet but am not impressed with POC's customer service or ability to keep parts in stock. Two years?

If I could find pads from another brand that would fit - that would be great. Anyone know where to find POC pads or a similar replacement?
Old 06-23-22, 07:50 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I’ve been waiting for POC to get the medium Ventral Air SPIN pads back in stock. They finally are! I put them in my cart (not cheap at $25), and go to check out… they want $12 more for shipping! $37 is too steep for me!
Old 06-28-22, 10:57 AM
SteveV

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree - this is ridiculous. I have an Octal, which I feel is the best helmet I have ever owned. But it's maddening that you can't get helmet pads, and the company itself is no help. I emailed them and they said they do not know when they will be back in stock. How is that possible when you actually make the friggin' things?
Old 06-28-22, 12:15 PM
fkfw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've emailed them several times. They give me the "Covid - supply chain" excuse. I say, "Are you telling me that you can't manage to get helmet pads made in TWO YEARS?"... Silence.

I really have no idea what's going on over at POC. Maybe they're on the brink of going under and there's 3 people running the whole show. Maybe some marketing firm they hired tells them that some percentage of pad-less customers are ready to buy a new helmet anyway, so just ignore us.

THE ANSWER: I just had a look at my wife's Giro Montara and the front pad fits both my Octal and Tectal.

$10 at Giro under "Replacement Parts".
Old 06-28-22, 12:52 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
I've been cutting pads out of breathable neoprene for several years.

I just use the worn out pads as a template.

If you can provide an outline of the pads, I could be tempted into make some replacement pads for you.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-29-22, 12:57 PM
fkfw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the offer! I ordered two sets of the Montaro, so I won't be needing pads for a while.

The breathable neoprene sounds intriguing... where do you source the stuff?
Old 06-29-22, 02:13 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
I use moleskin pads I cut to shape for replacing worn out helmet pads or to add additional padding in the temple regions.
Likes For CAT7RDR: