Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Phil Waterproof Grease

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Phil Waterproof Grease

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-22, 11:48 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
On a slight tangent,...

Anyone has any other solution for applying little dabs of grease without dirtying your hand?

I keep a handful of wood coffee stirrer sticks for just such an occasion. I'll squeeze a bit of grease onto the end of the stick, spread on whatever needs a dab, like a fastener or BB spindle.
When done, I'll use a set of wire cutters and cut off the dirty end of the stick and place the unused stick back into the pile of stirrers.
Old 06-21-22, 12:04 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Personally, I prefer to use my finger for better control to apply grease. If I was worried about having to wipe my finger off, I'd use latex gloves. Now anti-seize--what a mess that stuff is!
Old 06-21-22, 02:34 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Phil's is like the consistency of toothpaste. Maybe why it comes in a tube? But I digress.

I think that can is for oil. I'd probably use something like this:

Mini Grease Gun
That looks to be just the ticket. I'll give that a try.
Old 06-22-22, 12:27 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
On a slight tangent, I always find myself needing just a little dab of grease here and there. It's annoying to have to use my finger- because now my finger is dirty and I have to stop and wipe my finger before I continue working on the bike. Is Phil's grease light enough to use in a hand pump oil can? the kind that looks like this:

Anyone has any other solution for applying little dabs of grease without dirtying your hand?
Originally Posted by MudPie
I keep a handful of wood coffee stirrer sticks for just such an occasion. I'll squeeze a bit of grease onto the end of the stick, spread on whatever needs a dab, like a fastener or BB spindle.
When done, I'll use a set of wire cutters and cut off the dirty end of the stick and place the unused stick back into the pile of stirrers.
I use these, called solder or flux brushes, the bristles are about 1/4" and the length about 5". Generally sold in packs of half dozen or more for around a quarter USD each. I have a tub of marine grease (for about 20 years!) and cut a little hole in the plastic lid to insert the brush. Sometimes I use the thick end of a toothpick or the stem of a cotton swab (not the cotton, it leaks fibers into the grease) to dab grease in small spots or smear on small threads. I'll have to admit that although I can't be convinced that the Phils, Park or any other offering in a tube is actually better, I might buy a tube just for convenience.

Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-22-22, 05:40 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I use these, called solder or flux brushes, the bristles are about 1/4" and the length about 5". Generally sold in packs of half dozen or more for around a quarter USD each.
These brushes are invaluable. Some vendors identify them as acid brushes. A mod I do to minimize cleanup is cutting the bristles diagonally to present a tight bristle on one side ranging up to loose bristle.
Likes For ChrisWagner:
Old 06-22-22, 12:32 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
On a slight tangent, I always find myself needing just a little dab of grease here and there. It's annoying to have to use my finger- because now my finger is dirty and I have to stop and wipe my finger before I continue working on the bike. Is Phil's grease light enough to use in a hand pump oil can? the kind that looks like this:

park grease gun https://www.parktool.com/en-us/product/grease-gun-gg-1

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-23-22, 12:07 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
went on a ride I do regularly. I can honestly say the bike coasts faster downhill with the Phil Wood grease. Plus it has a nice buzzy hub sound
That nice buzzy hub sound is the sound of things rubbing against each other and wearing out

Just sayin'