Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear through axle no longer fits freehub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-22, 10:06 PM
alexlamp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

As I was riding today I noticed some weird shifting following by my chain coming off. Soon enough I realized that my rear through-axle was no longer screwed in all the way. After screwing it back it seems like the through-axle no longer spins freely in the hub. In fact, the freehub and axle turn together. The point of contact seems to be right after the first cog, at the end of the hub.

Upon inspecting the inside of the hub (where the through-axle is meant to go) I do not see anything out of the ordinary. The through-axle seems fine as well. I tried lubing it up and trying it one more time to no avail - the through-axle unscrews as soon as I start pedaling.
Any ideas?
Old 06-22-22, 09:37 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
No idea...best bet would be to take it to a shop and have an experienced mechanic look at it. I think what might have happened is your freehub pulled out of the hub when your thru axle loosened. Many free hubs are just held on by the press fit axle cap.
Old 06-22-22, 10:09 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
You gotta take it off.
You should be able where see where is binding.
And then figure out what to do.
It could be the free hub like was said above or a missing spacer.
But once you take it out you should be able to see.
Is the thru axle engaging correctly or is it damaged?
That's sort of thing ou got to look for.
Put the thru axle in without the wheel.
Put it thru the wheel but not in the frame.
You will figure it out and what you need to do or get to fix it.
Old 06-22-22, 10:16 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 368 Posts
Maybe the thru axle somehow bent from being ridden loose and is now binding in the freehub.
Old 06-22-22, 02:19 PM
alexlamp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE:
I took it apart this morning. The bearing on the free-body hub is shattered, the ball bearings are split in half and it seems like whatever caused the damage also compressed the thru-axle hub causing it to bind the thru-axle (seen in the picture). The thru-axle itself seems to be fine. The bearing on the brake side looked fine but wasn't spinning. After taking it apart and reapplying grease to the ball bearing, it is still refusing to spin. Both bearings will need to be replaced as well as the thru-axle hub. I am having trouble identifying the part number for it, however.
The bike is a 2018 Jamis Dakar A1, the rear hub is a formula 12x148 and the thru-axle hub seems to be 15X140 (12mm inner hole)

EDIT: Looks like I can't post pictures or links, you can find the picture at imgur.com/a/vMq1lSt
Old 06-22-22, 03:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Bearings (as in cartridge type, not loose ball) typically have their size or part number etched on them. Though sometimes this ID is weathered away. Measuring the bearing's ID then OD then width is a good confirmation as to a replacement's size. Most likely the bearings are a common industrial standard size and available from both bike part suppliers and general industry. If you were able to find a published bearing spec for this hub/bike I would still want to measure before paying.

Do know that most of the times I have replaced the freehub body bearings (as opposed to the hub shell ones) I have found them to be very tight a fit and a pain to both remove and reinstall. Careful choice of removing pucks or punches, careful hammering, and on reinstall heating up the FH body can help a lot.

I'd like to see more of the hub's assembly/parts as I've made some assumptions here and wonder if they are correct. Andy
Old 06-22-22, 03:45 PM
alexlamp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bearings are not the issue, rather the thru-axle hub. I was able to find one of the bearings but the other one was completely destroyed. Regardless, I will be getting a new freebody that will come with a new bearing so I just need to know what the part number of that axle is
Old 06-22-22, 06:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Sorry, thought you were wanting to replace the bearings. Andy
Old 06-22-22, 09:36 PM
alexlamp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be but already know their part numbers. I cannot find the part number for the rear hub and more specifically the axle as it needs to be replaced.
As I said, the bike is a Jamis Dakar A1 2018 but all I can find about it is that it has a formula rear hub 32H 12x142
Old 06-23-22, 09:09 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Does it look like any of these? https://www.formulahubs.com/product.php?t=3 You may have to buy another hub to get the parts you need.
Old 06-23-22, 12:36 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by alexlamp
UPDATE:

EDIT: Looks like I can't post pictures or links, you can find the picture at imgur.com/a/vMq1lSt
pic assist:

Old 06-23-22, 12:38 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Might this help? https://robertaxleproject.com/axle-finder/