Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Catching up after a while: Puncture resistant tires, shoes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Catching up after a while: Puncture resistant tires, shoes

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-21, 10:04 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelsius
I did go all in on a bike computer and finally upgraded by Edge 500 to Edge 830. Can't wait to try out the navigation when it arrives tomorrow. I've been relying on my phone and google maps, but it hasn't worked well when I get off the path.
Do you have an account at ridewithgps.com?

There are other options for creating courses for your Garmin Edge 830, but I've found their site the easiest to work with.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-27-21, 11:14 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-27-21, 11:48 AM
Excelsius

Bikes: CAAD10 Rival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Do you have an account at ridewithgps.com?

There are other options for creating courses for your Garmin Edge 830, but I've found their site the easiest to work with.
Yeah, some months ago I created couple of rides in ridewithgps only to find out that in order to use their app to navigate on the phone, you have to pay, so it ended up being useless. But I was considering paying for the service. However, with the Edge 830, I think I can just import the TCX from ridegps for free. Edge 500 is capable of it too, but I never ended up using the navigation after trying it once years ago since it really sucks.

By the way, it seems that you can also use Garmin Connect to create a route. I'm assuming you've used it and found not as simple as ridewithgps.
Old 06-27-21, 11:51 AM
Excelsius

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Hahaha, that's random, but funnily innovative. Drying the shoes after washing them? I can't say I ever washed my shoes since never had issues with sweating inside. Ventilation has been good in the old Diadora shoes and the Torch 1.0 has a vent even underneath the shoe, so hopefully no sweaty feet there either.
Old 06-27-21, 11:52 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If you plug your Garmin into a computer, there's a hidden folder called new files, copy the route you exported from rwgps into that folder and your Garmin will turn it into a route (it can use) when you unplug the USB.
Old 06-27-21, 12:03 PM
Excelsius

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I know about Garmin folders. My point was that Edge 500 has horrible navigation and if you are trying to explore a new route and get off track, I've found it pretty difficult to navigate back to the path, so I didn't use it despite having downloaded many routes into the device. From the videos I saw on Edge 830 navigation, it should be nearly perfect.
Old 06-27-21, 12:07 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
I'm assuming you've used (Garmin Connect) and found not as simple as ridewithgps.
Frankly, I didn't make an effort to try building courses with Garmin Connect.

My experience using Garmin's UI is pretty awful, and I didn't want that frustration.

Not when the ridewithgps UI is so good, and mature.

Old 06-27-21, 03:33 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 1,004 Posts
Garmin Connect was designed by creatures from hell. It was the reason I left Garmin and moved to Wahoo.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 06-27-21, 05:28 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Xc7

Well, XC7 is over $200, more than twice the cost of Torch 1.0. I picked it up today for $109, which is closer to my budget. On the other hand, I did go all in on a bike computer and finally upgraded by Edge 500 to Edge 830. Can't wait to try out the navigation when it arrives tomorrow. I've been relying on my phone and google maps, but it hasn't worked well when I get off the path.
LBS has an upstairs clearance area. In fact both LBS's have a massive shoe clearance - 25% to 75% off. So got the XC7 for a good price and they fit. I took them on a ride this morning and they are good. I did check out the Torch 1.0 and other shoes but size/color was not available. I am a kind of a newbie to cycling shoes and whatnot. My old Shimano SPD MTB shoes are comfy, therefore I stayed with Shimano. They are stiff, however my feet/ankles, etc did not ache.

I have the Garmin Edge 530 and Love it!! The Garmin Connect app is great.

Last edited by yashinon; 06-27-21 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-03-21, 07:44 PM
Excelsius

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Frankly, I didn't make an effort to try building courses with Garmin Connect.

My experience using Garmin's UI is pretty awful, and I didn't want that frustration.

Not when the ridewithgps UI is so good, and mature.
An update: I actually used Garmin Connect to create a few courses and it wasn't bad at all. It seems Garmin has fixed some of the issues it used to have in the past, like the inability to duplicate a course. It still has clunky areas, but is free. Ridewithgps requires a monthly subscription if you want to get turn by turn alerts come up during your navigation when you download the course file from there. That wasn't worth it for me. Plus can send any courses from Garmin Connect wirelessly to the Edge.
Likes For Excelsius:
Old 07-04-21, 06:06 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
An update: I actually used Garmin Connect to create a few courses and it wasn't bad at all. It seems Garmin has fixed some of the issues it used to have in the past, like the inability to duplicate a course. It still has clunky areas, but is free. Ridewithgps requires a monthly subscription if you want to get turn by turn alerts come up during your navigation when you download the course file from there. That wasn't worth it for me. Plus can send any courses from Garmin Connect wirelessly to the Edge.
+1
It's not that hard.
Old 06-25-22, 09:37 PM
jps65

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
post removed

Last edited by jps65; 06-27-22 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-25-22, 11:06 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Are you aware of particular issues for the conversion? From what I read, it seems all rims should be "TLR".
Aerothan is an interesting concept, but at $30/piece plus inability to repair, I'm not sure it's a good investment. If the tire is protecting from flats already, not sure if the tube would be important because if anything can get through a tough tire, the tube wouldn't stand a chance. But I would have to buy new tubes since the ones I have only cover up to 25mm. Maybe if there are cheaper alternatives, wouldn't hurt if the tube is somewhat puncture resistant as well.
I tend to agree. I have the Pirellis and use them with tubes. I went with light butyl tubes. The tyre seem plenty protective and I haven't flatted yet. The difference in rolling resistance vs a Aerothan tube is negligible according to this.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...pu-inner-tubes
Old 06-26-22, 12:45 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Tubeless. But assuming you have non-TLR rims, another thing you may have missed is that riding wider tires is considered less flat-prone for most if you get a fast-rolling, supple tire run at lower pressure without significant (if any) loss to speed.

There are also new non-butyl inner tubes that are marketed as being more puncture-resistant while also adding less rolling resistance than the traditional butyl ones.
Unreinforced tubeless tires may roll fast but still won't give you decent puncture protection. There are many members who have gone there and still managed to have huge holes/cuts in their tires rendering the tire into trash, totally unrepairable.

However, there are tubeless tires with extra layer of puncture protection so you're not just relying on the sealant to do their job but for the tire to also hold itself together in the worst possible puncture event, allowing you to fix the tire and continue back home. Tires like Gravelking slicks. Many actually find they roll decently fast and have excellent grip over paved roads ofc, not as fast as dedicated road or racing tires. Obviously, the puncture resist layer will add a bit to weight and rolling resistance. It all depends on your priorities. I'd definitely feel safer going down a hill at 50 mph knowing my tires will hold together.
Old 06-26-22, 12:49 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
To the topic: puncture resistant ... shoes. I've got 'em. Not great riding and they weigh a lot but if a fight breaks out after too many beers, really good for **** kicking! Steel toed work boots. Carolinas. All day comfortable. Good looking leather. Toe and sole completely resistant to glass, debris and goat heads.
Why would anyone want puncture resistant shoes? I suppose, if you get a flat, you can walk the remainder of the trip many miles on foot without fear of a broken glass or nails getting through the sole of your shoes.

I'd rather get puncture resistant tires and tire repair kit so you don't get flat and walk the way home in the first place.
Old 06-26-22, 09:40 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
Why would anyone want puncture resistant shoes? I suppose, if you get a flat, you can walk the remainder of the trip many miles on foot without fear of a broken glass or nails getting through the sole of your shoes.

I'd rather get puncture resistant tires and tire repair kit so you don't get flat and walk the way home in the first place.
I was just having a little fun with the thread title.
Old 06-26-22, 10:31 PM
jps65

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
post removed

Last edited by jps65; 06-27-22 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-27-22, 04:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by jps65
I don't think there is a tubed version of pirelli cinturato velo TLR.
As I explained in an earlier post, Cinturatos are designed to be run either tubed or tubeless. So there is only 1 version.
Old 06-27-22, 08:10 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I was just having a little fun with the thread title.
I know!
Old 06-27-22, 09:23 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Rollingresistance.com does not rate Specialized Armadillos, which are Specialized's answer to Gatorskins and other puncture resistant tires. I wonder why. I ride them, and although they are a bit harsh, I haven't had any flats yet.