Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should starting long distance riding be always THAT hard?

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Should starting long distance riding be always THAT hard?

Old 06-12-22, 06:16 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Since the start of this thread, I have struggled to remember or understand why my first 200k was not hard. I was recently reading some articles from coaches and exercise scientists who basically said it takes many, many years to develop the aerobic engine for long endurance stuff. Then, it occurred to me that I toured with heavy luggage for many, many years before I took up randonneuring. I would like to encourage OP but at the same time.....he is asking a lot from himself.
Old 06-12-22, 06:34 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
My first 200K brevet wasn't that difficult, although it was a bit challenging because I'd seriously damaged my left rotator cuff and had to ride my knobby tired mountain bike because I could sit more upright and not put much weight on my left arm.

I actually found the 300K easier because the shoulder had healed and I could ride a road bicycle.
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Since the start of this thread, I have struggled to remember or understand why my first 200k was not hard. I was recently reading some articles from coaches and exercise scientists who basically said it takes many, many years to develop the aerobic engine for long endurance stuff. Then, it occurred to me that I toured with heavy luggage for many, many years before I took up randonneuring. I would like to encourage OP but at the same time.....he is asking a lot from himself.
I had been cycling for years before I rode my first 200 km ride. I had also ridden several centuries (100 mile rides) and longer, just recreationally. When I did my first 200 km brevet, it was already just a 200 km distance. Nothing new. The 300K was new but with all the cycling I had done, it wasn't difficult.
Likes For Machka:
Old 06-18-22, 07:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
The longer the distance the harder it is, for me, due to the constantly degrading society/environment. Places I've once been that had decent riding surfaces have only went downhill since. If I want to go half the typical speed to prevent flats/damage, I could chance it. That isn't for me.

I do find ways to go for those 100+ miler rides while keeping the speeds up & heart rate in check, but it isn't as enjoyable. I personally don't feel like I'm down of power, just mentally fatigued from dealing with things in general.
Old 07-29-22, 02:22 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
well, this topic is relevant to me right now. Albeit not the 5W/kg part. I like some affirmation that others find it difficult.
So a 100 kg rider should somehow be capable of 500 watts? Wow!
Old 07-30-22, 04:41 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Probably not many randonneurs out there who make 5 watts/kg......for more than a minute or two.

I did a sub 13 hour hilly 300k recently on 1.44 w/kg.