Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Quintana Roo : Te Quilo What Year and Frame Size?

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 04-28-22, 03:56 PM
Sundancewind

Bikes: 1986 Panasonic Team Japan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi I am an avid cyclist. Mostly road and during the fall months MTB. Bike trips are always planned around climbing; the longer and steeper the better.
I recently picked up a Quintana Roo Te Quilo , a brand I had never heard of before . I found it while perusing a local online classified site and it intrigued me.
The frame size looked about right I am 5 foot 6 and the price was reasonable ( $75 CAD) for the group set it had .

After a deep clean and a good tune up I took it out for a spin. It rides really nice. Smooth quick shifting and with the aero bars and positioning it tackles the strong head winds we are having lately nicely
Gearing is a bit weird or not what I am use to but it seems to work with the 650c wheels.

I am trying to pin point a year for the bike and the frame size (I attached some center to center dimensions which are in centimetres)
The last 4 digits of the serial number are 1095 so I am thinking maybe it was made in Oct 1995?

Any recommendations , suggestions and/or comments much appreciated Wheel size 650c Deep V

Derailures : Dura-Ace

Crank Arms are Dura-Ace with : 55/39

Cassette : 11-21 ( 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21 )

Brakes ia Compe BRS 200

Seat :Adamo Road Full Gel

Thanks

Old 05-03-22, 06:26 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
This looks to be the same size as my brother's 650C QR Kilo which is a 53. He is also 5'6". Triathlon bikes often use a "dropped" top tube to get the handlebars lower for a better aero position and the frame is usually measured center-to-top of seat lug.

Looks like a nice ride. If it were mine, I'd re-route the shift cables over the top of the base bar between the armrests. That angle on the rear shift cable housing at the downtube cable adjuster just looks wrong.
Old 05-09-22, 09:14 AM
Sundancewind

Bikes: 1986 Panasonic Team Japan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments...when you say a frame is usually usually measured center-to-top of seat lug you mean center of BB to top of seat lug....if so I have 50 cm frame.
It is a bit tight in the cock pit right now....In normal riding position hands on the base bar near brake
levers I can easily see the front wheel axel 3 inches in front of me.
I currently have a 90mm stem and now trying to source a 130mm stem. Not easy to find for 1 inch bars.
And yes the rear derailleur cable needs to be re-route it works well but is not right.
Old 05-11-22, 08:54 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
I can’t find it now, but somewhere on Sheldon Brown there’s a page dedicated to locating and deciphering frame serial numbers to identify when and where a frame was made.

Dan