Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Chinese out front combo mount

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-02-22, 03:13 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 91 Posts

I bought one of the cheapest out front combo mounts I could find on eBay. It had no instructions, so when I figured out what went where, I took a bunch of pictures.

The mount has no branding anywhere, including on the packaging, but I bought it from the eBay seller "otohappy":
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40329745549...mis&media=COPY

It includes plates to mount Garmin computers, GoPro cameras, and, I think, Bryton computers. I've never heard of Bryton, but they're apparently a Taiwanese company that has a proprietary quarter-turn mount, similar to Garmin, but different. It does *not* include adapters I've seen in similar ads, for strapping a bike light to the GoPro mount or for mounting your phone to the Garmin mount. I was initially disappointed that it didn't include those two adapters, but I don't think I would've been happy with my current light in one of those strap-on adapters, and I'm fine with pulling over to use my phone. The battery wouldn't last through a ride if the screen was on the whole time, anyway. I do want to get a GoPro now, though.

Box front

Box side with specs

Box side with color options

Product in tray

Note hinge to fit around handlebar, and 3-piece construction

Underside of mount

L to R: Garmin plate (G3), GoPro plate (G5) (flat side), Bryton plate (B)

L to R: Garmin plate, GoPro plate (bumpy side), Bryton plate

Contents of hardware bag: (3) plates, (2) hex keys, (2) flathead screws, (2) small panhead screws, (1) medium panhead screw, (1) large panhead screw, (5) split lockwashers, (1) sheet of pre-cut self adhesive pads
Continued in next message.
Likes For RichSPK:
Old 05-02-22, 03:15 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Contents of hardware bag showing opposite side of sheet of pre-cut self adhesive pads

Note that I didn't use the self-adhesive rubber pads. I'm not sure where they're intended to be used, but I'm guessing you stick them inside the clamping jaws, between the mount and the handlebar.

Use the medium panhead screw and (1) split lockwasher here, securing it around the handlebar

The GoPro plate bolts to the underside of the mount with the (2) small panhead screws and (2) split lockwashers. The large panhead screw goes through the side of the GoPro plate.

The Garmin or Bryton plate bolts to the top of the mount using the (2) flathead screws. Don't try to use lockwashers with flathead screws. You'll have (2) spare lockwashers.

Riders view of mount

The mount is sized for larger bars than mine, so I cut up an old inner tube to shim it

Side view of mount

Front view of mount

Three quarters view of mount
Old 05-02-22, 03:49 PM
tubesocksFred

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
At least its made out of metal. I ordered Bryton's own mount as an add-on when getting my Bryton computer. That mount snapped at the hinge when I tried to install it. Maybe I was suppose to use the micro hex wrench so I can't exert much torque, but it had a plastic adapter so it will fit onto the 25.4mm diameter bars, which made feeling when it was tight enough hard to feel. At least the aliexpress seller is willing to send a replacement for 1 cent so it can be tracked (I wasn't able to pay for the 1 cent order with paypal so I had to opt for the $1 option). I noticed yours didn't include any padding to grip the handlebar. Maybe the ability to crank down the bolt is enough for the mount to stay in place.

Personally, I got the for my other bike the out front mount that attaches to the handlebar tightening bolts. But you only have 1 stem bolt, so you couldn't use that type.
Old 05-03-22, 06:17 AM
RichSPK

Originally Posted by tubesocksFred
At least its made out of metal. I ordered Bryton's own mount as an add-on when getting my Bryton computer. That mount snapped at the hinge when I tried to install it. Maybe I was suppose to use the micro hex wrench so I can't exert much torque, but it had a plastic adapter so it will fit onto the 25.4mm diameter bars, which made feeling when it was tight enough hard to feel. At least the aliexpress seller is willing to send a replacement for 1 cent so it can be tracked (I wasn't able to pay for the 1 cent order with paypal so I had to opt for the $1 option). I noticed yours didn't include any padding to grip the handlebar. Maybe the ability to crank down the bolt is enough for the mount to stay in place.

Personally, I got the for my other bike the out front mount that attaches to the handlebar tightening bolts. But you only have 1 stem bolt, so you couldn't use that type.
This mount did include some self-adhesive rubber pads that I didn't use. There's not much point, with all the inner tube I wrapped around the bar.

Aluminum is pretty soft; you have to be careful not to over-torque the screws in this mount, too, so you don't strip the threads.
Old 05-03-22, 12:42 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
fwiw - I have a cpl mounts like this, different end but same design for clamping the bars. I think the design can be better. I've used soft inserts, but I don't like the movement/vibration w/ heavier objects like a gopro camera. I try to use a more firm insert to keep the movement down. mostly, I use mine for lights. I get better stability w/ my gopro mounted directed to the bars. based on looking at the thing vibrating in front of me as I ride. the camera image stabilization is good enough to work around the vibration, but it doesn't have to work as hard mounted directly to the bars

directly on bars

on accessory mount

that said, I also like mounting the camera on the front of the helmet. because then it captures what I'm looking at. but video from the bars can be fun too
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-09-22, 02:04 PM
tubesocksFred

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
This mount did include some self-adhesive rubber pads that I didn't use. There's not much point, with all the inner tube I wrapped around the bar.

Aluminum is pretty soft; you have to be careful not to over-torque the screws in this mount, too, so you don't strip the threads.
These mounts are usually made for modern oversized handlebars, which is 31.8mm. You seem to have a 25.4mm size, thus the included rubber pad is nowhere thick enough.
Likes For tubesocksFred:
Old 05-10-22, 08:46 AM
RichSPK

Originally Posted by tubesocksFred
These mounts are usually made for modern oversized handlebars, which is 31.8mm. You seem to have a 25.4mm size, thus the included rubber pad is nowhere thick enough.
Yeah, I saw that mentioned in listings for similar mounts. I expected to need to improvise a spacer between the mount and the bar, although I didn't expect to wrap the inner tube so many times. It does allow a little bit of movement in the mount, as rumrunn6 noted, but I don't expect it to be a problem. We'll see.