Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Greenwood breezer

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Greenwood breezer

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-22, 01:09 PM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Greenwood breezer

Greenwood breezer, anyone ever heard of this bike, its posted in the Greensboro craigslist as a hybrid, has an interesting look to it, and as I'm looking for something a bit easier to mount and dismount was wondering in the quality of the bike, you don't see many big store bikes advertised as 24 speeds, they're usually all 21 or even less. Thanks
Old 05-06-22, 01:31 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
From the looks of the photo from the listing, it's probably a Breezer Greenway. I recently bought a very similar bike, a '97 GT Vantara "ladies model" with basically a straight "top tube" from the head tube area to the rear axle area, with a support brace just forward of the exposed seat tube, just like that Breezer has. I find it to be very easy to mount -- I can lean the bike over just slightly and slide my near leg over the top tube, just in front of the seat.

If it's a legitimate Breezer, you can be confident of the quality. Breezers are built well and have a good reputation. This Greenway model looks like it has an aluminum frame. Most Breezers today use steel, but they do have a Midtown model that uses aluminum. Perhaps this Greenway is an older model. It has a Deore rear derailleur and a 3x8 drivetrain, which almost certainly indicates a freehub cassette rear hub.

For the price they're asking, I think that bike's a good value.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 05-06-22, 02:03 PM
jdogg111

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
From the looks of the photo from the listing, it's probably a Breezer Greenway. I recently bought a very similar bike, a '97 GT Vantara "ladies model" with basically a straight "top tube" from the head tube area to the rear axle area, with a support brace just forward of the exposed seat tube, just like that Breezer has. I find it to be very easy to mount -- I can lean the bike over just slightly and slide my near leg over the top tube, just in front of the seat.

If it's a legitimate Breezer, you can be confident of the quality. Breezers are built well and have a good reputation. This Greenway model looks like it has an aluminum frame. Most Breezers today use steel, but they do have a Midtown model that uses aluminum. Perhaps this Greenway is an older model. It has a Deore rear derailleur and a 3x8 drivetrain, which almost certainly indicates a freehub cassette rear hub.

thanks, I didn't think it was a big box special, but wasn't sure, is your bike heavy?
Old 05-06-22, 02:14 PM
jdogg111

Originally Posted by hokiefyd

another question maybe you can help me with. You seem to be very knowledgeable of bikes, me, not so much. Winston Salem c. L. Has a trek Soho. The seller describes it as a 2007 model with alfine high, 8 speed, so I went to treks website where they showed the 2007 soho to have outer gearing. The price seems good for the bike the seller is listing, his info just doesn't match the year he claims the bike to be. I was basically wondering if a 15 yr old alfine would be worth a 200 dollar gamble, I've read they're usually quite pricey. Any advice on this would be helpful and appreciated as this is just a few miles from me, the Greenwood is like 50 miles away.
Old 05-06-22, 07:17 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the Alfine hubs. I'd like to try one, but I've never owned an internally geared bike. Unfortunately, I couldn't say whether an older hub like this is durable and worth the risk or not. Perhaps someone here who is more knowledgeable about them could help you on that. You might also try the Bicycle Mechanics subforum. There is bound to be handful of folks there with experience with those.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 05-09-22, 09:49 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Breezer is a good example of a small brand which many cyclists prefer over the big ones. Joe Breeze is a pioneer of MTBs and was always a "thinking man," his bikes show very thoughtful touches throughout, the best example is the famous Breezer dropout. Aside from being minimal in material, it allows for longer runs of round section tubing, which is part of his philosophy on how to achieve a smooth ride.

As a brand, the path has been quirky IMO; starting out with high-end steel MTBs, then switching gears to commuters when nobody cared about commuters (Lance era), and now back to a wider ferrous offering. The Greenwood is from the commuting era, and is a fairly low end bike, but is still a quality bike by a brand that never made junk.

I still have my 93 Breezer that I built from new and still love it. By far, one of my favorite bikes ever.
Likes For DorkDisk: