Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fork Recommendations??

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fork Recommendations??

Old 06-16-22, 04:43 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Fork Recommendations??

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'm new to somewhat serious road biking. I have a nice, aluminum bike, but decided to build my own steed. I obtained a really nice 90's Scapin "Geo" frame...very light steel frame. I need fork recommendations and a little direction. I think I want to stay away from a carbon fork, as I don't want to shell out big money for a quality carbon fork. I also want to stay away from cheaper priced carbon forks. I kind of live by the "you get what you pay for" mantra, and I don't want to risk a serious accident due to a faulty Chinese manufactured fork. I've considered the Ritchey Comp, which is at the higher end of my budget ($239 US). But even then, I'm a little concerned about the longevity of a carbon fork and the catastrophe that can occur if one breaks when I'm traveling along at 20+ mph. So I think I want to go with a steel fork. And that's where I need recommendations. The frame has a 1" diameter head tube and is about 5.25 inches long. I don't mind a threaded fork. But since the frame is somewhat "high-end" for the time period, I'd like to match it up with a more high-end fork. Any recommendations? In that regard, I will need recommendations as to how long the steerer tube on the fork should be, at the least. Thank you so much!!!
Old 06-16-22, 05:15 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
I don't have a specific recommendation, but here are many options: https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/cat...ents-forks-975
Old 06-16-22, 08:33 PM
ArgoMan

Thank you! I re-measured my head tube and it's actually 5 7/8 long! how long do I need to have the stem of the fork?
Old 06-17-22, 01:29 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,038 Posts
consider an aluminum fork

(although I prefer a carbon fork)

Kinesis is one brand - but not sure if they still produce them

Last edited by t2p; 06-17-22 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-17-22, 01:31 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

the steerer length is up to you (to a point)

don't cut it too short - keep it longer (with a small spacer/spacers) which will allow you a higher handlebar and hopefully better position and comfort on the bike
Old 06-17-22, 01:39 PM
t2p

Kinesis alloy fork

1" threaded

note the steerer length - with spacer

someone that understands frame / fork geometry should assist if available

fork rake and amount of trail (etc) should be considered when purchasing / installing a fork

Last edited by t2p; 06-17-22 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-17-22, 01:49 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
IRD has some carbon forks at good prices. I have had good experience with the IRD branded parts which I believe are mostly Taiwanese. But on second thought, the IRD fork I'm thinking of my be 1-1/8" only. Columbus Minimal is another option. These are available in 1". If you look around online you may find one from an online bike Euro bike shop like bike24.com for about $175. The weight of the Columbus MInimal is impressively light at like 325 grams, You might inquire about the ride quality of such a lightweight fork combined with a steel framed classic road frame.
Old 06-17-22, 02:01 PM
ArgoMan

Originally Posted by masi61
IRD has some carbon forks at good prices. I have had good experience with the IRD branded parts which I believe are mostly Taiwanese. But on second thought, the IRD fork I'm thinking of my be 1-1/8" only. Columbus Minimal is another option. These are available in 1". If you look around online you may find one from an online bike Euro bike shop like bike24.com for about $175. The weight of the Columbus MInimal is impressively light at like 325 grams, You might inquire about the ride quality of such a lightweight fork combined with a steel framed classic road frame.
Thanks for the recommendation. I have a bit of concern about carbon forks, although I run one on my present bike (an old Kinesis fork). That has really held up. Maybe I just need to get over my fear and get a good quality carbon fork. I see that Ritchey makes a 1". What's the better name, Ritchey or Columbus? Also, another forum member recommended Soma Fabrication, which produces a few steel forks that seem to fit the bill. I don't mind the extra weight.

Now, for a light steel frame, what would give a better ride, a steel or carbon fork? I ride really flat desert roads.
Old 06-17-22, 02:22 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Thanks for the recommendation. I have a bit of concern about carbon forks, although I run one on my present bike (an old Kinesis fork). That has really held up. Maybe I just need to get over my fear and get a good quality carbon fork. I see that Ritchey makes a 1". What's the better name, Ritchey or Columbus? Also, another forum member recommended Soma Fabrication, which produces a few steel forks that seem to fit the bill. I don't mind the extra weight.

Now, for a light steel frame, what would give a better ride, a steel or carbon fork? I ride really flat desert roads.

carbon forks are very durable - proven now for decades and can be found on a large number of bikes at various price points

and many (if not most) of the top custom steel and titanium frame builders will use carbon forks

we installed a Kinesis alloy fork on my one bike (pictured above) back in the early / mid 90's because carbon forks were fairly new / just appearing

a year or so later and I would have gone with a carbon fork

Last edited by t2p; 06-17-22 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-17-22, 05:28 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Kinesis Carbon fork on my Marin Treviso ('0) has been on the bike since '02, and for sure has over 35K miles on it. Solid and shows no signs of age, I trust it completely.
Its so old it has nicely curved blades and is Not full CF, has an Alloy steerer.
Carbon fork smooths out the ride on any surface, and gives great 'feel' and control. This is my #2 bike, which says a lot, given the choices I have....
Steel and ALu certainly do work fine, but no where near the quality of ride of CF. Unlike Chrome or Paint, never needs more than a quick wipe clean.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 06-17-22, 05:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
I obtained a really nice 90's Scapin "Geo" frame...very light steel frame.
I've considered the Ritchey Comp, which is at the higher end of my budget ($239 US). But even then, I'm a little concerned about the longevity of a carbon fork and the catastrophe that can occur if one breaks when I'm traveling along at 20+ mph.
So you are not concerned that an at least 23 year old "very light" steel frame (from the 90's) would break when you are traveling along at 20+ mph, but you are concerned that a brand new carbon fork made by a reputable manufacturer and purchased from a legitimate vendor (at U.S. $239) would under exactly the same circumstances?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-17-22, 06:06 PM
ArgoMan

No, I'm not worried the frame will fault (that's what guys in my industry call it well steel fractures). And frankly, if you don't have anything positive to add, such as explaining why I am incorrect in my feelings about carbon, then you should post anything.
Old 06-17-22, 06:15 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

No, I'm not worried the frame will fault (that's what guys in my industry call it well steel fractures).
Why are you not worried about the frame? Has it never been used? Did you get an inspection or analysis regarding its structural integrity?

And frankly, if you don't have anything positive to add, such as explaining why I am incorrect in my feelings about carbon, then you should post anything.
I am positive that my juxtaposition of your lack of concern regarding the frame and your concern about the fork was a prompt to you to examine whether you are incorrect in your feelings about carbon.
Old 06-17-22, 06:25 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I see that Ritchey makes a 1". What's the better name, Ritchey or Columbus?
They are both reputable companies. The Ritchey Comp has an alloy steerer, while the Columbus Minimal has a carbon fiber steerer.
Old 06-20-22, 08:17 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
I'm new to somewhat serious road biking. ...decided to build my own steed.
Old 06-20-22, 12:00 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
ArgoMan and I made up in another thread he started re: ICAN bike frames. So it also deescalated very quickly.
Old 06-20-22, 12:58 PM
ArgoMan

Yes, Smelly and I are now in very good terms, thankfully, as he is a wealth of good info here! Thank you Smelly, and please pardon the undeserved jumpiness on my part.

NOW, I've made a decision to go with a steel fork from Soma Fab (Corsa one inch) for my stainless 1990's Italian frame. It will just look better. It will absorb the road well enough. I ride on nicely paved, flat desert roads. It will look really nice with the frame. Now here's where I really need advice:
1. Should I go threaded or threadless?
2. I'll be using an aluminum quill stem, if threaded (can I mate a quill with a threadless tube?).
3. If I go threaded, how long should the steerer tube be? Soma sells the Corsa with 140mm, 170mm, 200mm and 230mm lengths. I want more of a racy feel, as opposed to a long distance road bike. I have the ability to shorten the stem easily, if needed.
4. If you recommend threaded, what's a good headset recommendation? I'd like something a little racy. Aluminum is okay.
5. Is my wife cheating on me with the pool guy?
Old 06-20-22, 01:33 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

1. Should I go threaded or threadless?
A properly installed stem around a threadless steerer seems to provide a better mechanical connection than a properly installed quill stem in a threaded steerer. Whether there is any practical difference depends on how hard you plan to ride this bike. Also, threadless is mechanically simpler to me, mostly because I have no experience with threaded.

2. I'll be using an aluminum quill stem, if threaded (can I mate a quill with a threadless tube?).
I don't think so. What would hold the steerer and fork up against the frame in this setup, unless you install an extra clamp above the headset?

3. If I go threaded, how long should the steerer tube be? Soma sells the Corsa with 140mm, 170mm, 200mm and 230mm lengths. I want more of a racy feel, as opposed to a long distance road bike. I have the ability to shorten the stem easily, if needed.
Carefully measure the dimensions of the headtube and ask Soma which threaded steerer to get.

5. Is my wife cheating on me with the pool guy?
You need to join a drone forum.
Old 06-20-22, 03:29 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
ArgoMan and I made up in another thread he started re: ICAN bike frames. So it also deescalated very quickly.
No, I just meant that for someone "new to serious cycling" deciding to build your own bike is pretty ambitious!
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 06-26-22, 10:54 AM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 65 Posts
No, I just meant that for someone "new to serious cycling" deciding to build your own bike is pretty ambitious!
I did the same here. Great excuse to get in the garage, not many options available, and I saved >$2k! - at least based on the current state of the market.
Old 01-18-24, 01:59 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '03 Litespeed Firenze

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 110 Posts
Digging this out.
I have a Litespeed Firenze with carbon fork that I don't ride and was trying to pass forward, but is not happening.
Something is missing when riding it. The steel is real thing. Yes, my bikes are all steel ones.
Now I started thinking, how about having a steel or titanium fork for it?
I read around that titanium will be pretty expensive and a bit bulk and of course heavier than the carbon one, or go to steel one?
Heavier is fine for me - steel would add around an extra pound.

Any suggestion/thoughts?

Thank you!
Old 01-18-24, 04:50 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,891 Times in 1,647 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
Digging this out.
I have a Litespeed Firenze with carbon fork that I don't ride and was trying to pass forward, but is not happening.
Something is missing when riding it. The steel is real thing. Yes, my bikes are all steel ones.
Now I started thinking, how about having a steel or titanium fork for it?
I read around that titanium will be pretty expensive and a bit bulk and of course heavier than the carbon one, or go to steel one?
Heavier is fine for me - steel would add around an extra pound.

Any suggestion/thoughts?

Thank you!
Get a steel fork. Titanium forks are exceedingly rare, and that's because the properties of the material make it less than ideal for bike forks. Or, to put it another way, they're very expensive with no significant advantages in that application, or so the market has decreed. If I had a titanium fork, it would be solely for bragging rights.

That said: since millions of people, including the majority of those riding bikes with titanium frames, are happy with the ride of a carbon fork, there's some likelihood that what bothers you isn't the fork material but the fork geometry.

(I've owned dozens of high-end steel, carbon, and aluminum bikes over the last 60 years, and for the sheer pleasure of the ride, my favorite bike is the one that has oversize aluminum frame tubes and an oversize straight-blade aluminum fork. Why? Various reasons, but the main one is that the geometry is perfect for me.)

Fork geometry is a deep subject, but for me, between a fork with more offset (lower trail) and one with less offset (higher trail), I prefer less offset, because I prefer a more-stable, quicker-handling bike to the reverse. Figure out how you would like the ride of the bike to change, and get a steel fork with a geometry that would achieve that goal.
Old 01-18-24, 07:20 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
That's what I told myself : What the fork??
Old 01-18-24, 11:19 AM
ArgoMan

Thanks everyone! This was a fairly old OP. To update, I got a Soma steel "track" fork, non-threaded, and have been using it for quite a while. While not light, it's not overly heavy. Really absorbs the road well. The bike rides beautifully! I recently placed a set of Stan's Alpha 400 rims on it, tubeless, and the bike just flies. I really lucked out on the frame. It's exceptionally light, the welds are simply expert, and it just rides so well. Very happy with it. On another note, I replaced the fork on an older aluminum frame that I have. It's a Kinesis straight "race" fork that I got for $99. I have to say that it's very nice. It also absorbs the road well for a straight-type style and it somewhat aero. It's about half the weight of the steel some fork. I think that it would do very well on my steel frame.