Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help get my tire off my bike…

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-21-22, 09:53 PM
Jamez77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a brand NEW out of the box eBike. I got a flat tire the other day. It has 20x4.0 tires so I order a tube. Today I tire to loosen the nuts to get the tire off. All I am doing is stripping the nuts they are on there so tight. What am I doing wrong or can I do?
Old 06-21-22, 10:13 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Do you have the correct size wrench to remove the wheel? Your should not use an adjustable wrench for this job. Rear wheel nuts are usually 15 mm. You should have the correct size socket so as not to round out the nut
Old 06-21-22, 11:52 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Sounds like you are trying to get the wheel off the bike. After that, you can get to the tire. Get the right size wrench and a long handle for more leverage. Make sure you're turning it the right way: counterclockwise to loosen.
Old 06-22-22, 05:25 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
At this point stop...the more damage you do the more difficult the repair is going to be...take it to a shop where they know what they are doing and have the tools to do the job.
If not...crack on
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 06-22-22, 07:53 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
What make/model E-bike is it? Some have their own weird procedures. Have you tried contacting the place where you bought the bike from or checked their website for instructions? YouTube may even have a video for your specific bike.
Old 06-22-22, 09:34 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamez77
I have a brand NEW out of the box eBike. I got a flat tire the other day. It has 20x4.0 tires so I order a tube. Today I tire to loosen the nuts to get the wheel off. All I am doing is stripping the nuts they are on there so tight. What am I doing wrong or can I do?
What tool are you using to take the wheel off?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-22-22, 09:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I would probably see if you can return the bike, the headaches have already started and you just pulled it out of the box. A tiny tired fat bike is really not a practical for much. Fat tires are for sand and snow but really low initial cost bikes probably won't handle that well. E-bikes are awesome but the low initial cost stuff is more pain than you want unless fixing bikes is your real interest but it seems like you might not be wholly ready yet. Find a practical bike with Bosch, Shimano or a Brose motor (or something of similar quality and support) and you will enjoy it more and have to bring it to the shop less.

If you decide to keep it use the correct tools or take it to a shop.
Old 06-22-22, 10:40 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Old 06-23-22, 08:55 AM
Crankycrank

Here's another option to make changing a tube easier on Ebikes that are a PITA to remove the wheel. You just need to remove one bead of the tire and trade out the tube. Here's one example I found with a quick search so you may find some less expensive. Gaadi Tube, Comfort, 16 to 29-inch - Clever Cycles A friend of mine bought one of these for his Ebike after getting a rear flat on a ride that nearly sent him to therapy but hasn't used it yet so can't give any reviews.
Old 06-23-22, 10:23 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Yea...Grinder is gonna be the best option.
Old 06-23-22, 10:35 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Here's another option to make changing a tube easier on Ebikes that are a PITA to remove the wheel. You just need to remove one bead of the tire and trade out the tube.
Wait....what?

Think about it. You could pop one side of the tire off while still in the frame and remove the tube from inside the tire, but you'd have to cut it to remove it from the bike. And how would you get the new tube in? There would need to be an opening in the rear triangle.

At best you could expose the old tube enough to patch it, and then put it back together.
Old 06-23-22, 10:40 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts

I'm confused?

Old 06-23-22, 11:28 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Wait....what?

Think about it. You could pop one side of the tire off while still in the frame and remove the tube from inside the tire, but you'd have to cut it to remove it from the bike. And how would you get the new tube in? There would need to be an opening in the rear triangle.

At best you could expose the old tube enough to patch it, and then put it back together.
Check out the link. The tube is basically an inflatable snake with a valve at one end and a hole to catch it at the other end. The bike share bikes where I used to live used these for awhile, they seemed to work well for their purpose.
Old 06-23-22, 12:07 PM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Check out the link. The tube is basically an inflatable snake with a valve at one end and a hole to catch it at the other end. The bike share bikes where I used to live used these for awhile, they seemed to work well for their purpose.
I see - a special tube just for bikes where you can't remove the wheel. I think I'd rather be able to take off the wheel and use a conventional tube, but that's just me.
Old 06-23-22, 01:44 PM
Crankycrank

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I see - a special tube just for bikes where you can't remove the wheel. I think I'd rather be able to take off the wheel and use a conventional tube, but that's just me.
Yes I'm with you on that but that's just us. Some will find this type of tube a wonderful thing and don't mind cutting the old tube. You can also in some instances, tie the punctured tube to the frame and out of the way so you can take it out and patch it in the comfort of your garage or living room.