Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss: Post Your Before and After Pics Here!

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Weight Loss: Post Your Before and After Pics Here!

Old 09-25-06, 05:19 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Outstanding! Great job and congrats!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 09-25-06, 05:19 PM
Mike_Morrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Mike that is awesome. Congratulations. What is you program. Solely cycling?

When I was losing weight for the first 100 pounds it was all diet no exercise. At 400 pounds EVERYTHING was work, I was worried about my heart and knees, and truth be told I wasn't a big fan of exercise (imagine that *Grins*). Once I lost the first 100 I started walking to build up my fitness level, I walked 5 miles a day every day. If I had it to do over I would have started the exercise earlier in the process. About a year into the journey my wife and I bought a weight system and a Life Fitness elliptical, at this point I switched to the elliptical for an hour a day and lifting about 40 minutes every other day.

My diet was 1500'ish calories a day 6 days a week with one day a week where I would eat out with my wife and daughter an order off the menu skipping bread basket and dessert. The day out had the effect of making my caloric average in the neighborhood of 1750 - 1850 a day on average. I also took vitamin supplements.

Now I really mix up my activities. My wife and I started running triathlons this summer so I run, bike, swim and elliptical on a regular basis. During the nice weather the elliptical doesnt get as much use as I know I will be stuck in our workout room as the weather turns. I try to get at least an hour of cardio a day and lift at least 3 days a week.

My weight has been rock solid + or - 3 pounds for the last year and a half and to that I credit exercise. Exercise is only moderately helpful for losing weight (as it can be quickly undone by what we put in our mouth) but boy can it help one maintain the loss.

Last edited by Mike_Morrow; 09-25-06 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-25-06, 07:03 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
WOW! That's awesome!

It's the year of the enema!
Old 09-25-06, 07:42 PM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am still VERY MUCH a work in progress.

Starting weight was about 370lbs.

This pic taken the night I bought my bike (hadn't even taken 1st ride yet).

These pics taken at about 360lbs (maybe 350 lbs).

Not a bike picture...but this pic was taken, probably at my best weight (about 307 lbs)...taken January of this year.

I'm not calling these the AFTER photos...because I'm FAR from done!! I want to lose another 100 pounds minimum!!
Old 09-25-06, 09:51 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Great job!

Man I gotta work on getting some after photos - have way too many befores

It's the year of the enema!
Old 09-26-06, 12:34 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Mike you were on your way to a short life to now a triathlete. Incredible. Your arms show lifting weights. And your wife is a regular now in your exercise regime. She lose a lot of weight also.
Old 09-26-06, 05:21 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by KingTermite
I am still VERY MUCH a work in progress.

Starting weight was about 370lbs.

This pic taken the night I bought my bike (hadn't even taken 1st ride yet).

These pics taken at about 360lbs (maybe 350 lbs).

Not a bike picture...but this pic was taken, probably at my best weight (about 307 lbs)...taken January of this year.

I'm not calling these the AFTER photos...because I'm FAR from done!! I want to lose another 100 pounds minimum!!
Absolutely putstanding KT! Good on ya Bro! You're right, we're both works in progress! Keep it up and I'll be pulling for you!

Old 09-26-06, 06:16 AM
Mike_Morrow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Mike you were on your way to a short life to now a triathlete. Incredible. Your arms show lifting weights. And your wife is a regular now in your exercise regime. She lose a lot of weight also.

Andi (my wife) had a bit of a weight issue long ago when we first met in collage, she lost it 18 years ago and has never looked back. She started exercising regularly a after I had made it a habit. Now we are both quite diligent about it. Here is a picture of her in our first race this summer.

Old 09-26-06, 06:18 AM
Mike_Morrow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingTermite
Nice job King!

Slow and steady wins this race! You will get to your goal! Keep up the great work.
Old 09-26-06, 11:14 PM
Gerdz
Yeti

Bikes: Chopper from the grocery store.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
I started riding in April of last year.
weight was 255 with a 42in waist.
1.5 years later.....172lbs with a 33in waist
Old me

New me

Gary - wow! That's what I want to do for myself. I can't believe that second guy is the same person.
Old 10-01-06, 09:45 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Old 10-02-06, 08:59 AM
Python

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh Ladies Racer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just been reading through the threads. What an inspiration you all are.

I've taken up cycling after 30 odd years of not being on a bike and I'm really enjoying it. I'm very small and I've never had a weight issue - if anything I'm classed as underweight.

However, my husband weighs in at 322 lbs approx and had a major heart attack just over 2 1/2 years ago (he was heavier than that for a while but did manage to lose some weight). One of the activities the hospital recommended was cycling, along with swimming, golf, walking etc. but he did not fancy going on a bike. Since I've got my bike, he's changed his mind and has been looking at bikes. We always do everything together and I think he feels he's now missing out - which he is. I showed him some of the pics before he had to shoot off to meet a client and I think you guys have really made an impression on him.

I look forward to posting his "before" and "after" pics
Old 10-02-06, 12:28 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Python, good to hear the hubby is starting to get interested in cycling! Keep him interested and he'll reap unbelievable dividends from it. The only aerobic exercise better than cycling is swimming!

Old 10-02-06, 05:08 PM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Python, good to hear the hubby is starting to get interested in cycling! Keep him interested and he'll reap unbelievable dividends from it. The only aerobic exercise better than cycling is swimming!
Mrs. Hambone would be the first to admit my... "swimming" is much better due to the weight loss and increased endurance.

Another side effect to be perfectly honest and boringly clinical is that as men age their testosterone levels go down. That is just biology. Compound that by the fact that the fatter one is the lower one's testosterone and along with that goes erection issues, libido issues, etc.

Losing weight for a sexually active male is a win-win-win.
Old 10-03-06, 09:40 AM
Python

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh Ladies Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hambone
Compound that by the fact that the fatter one is the lower one's testosterone and along with that goes erection issues, libido issues, etc.
That is one area where there definitely isn't a problem
Old 10-03-06, 10:17 AM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Python
That is one area where there definitely isn't a problem
then heaven knows what you could be unleashing on yourself...
Old 10-03-06, 07:38 PM
rykoala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_Morrow
February of 2004 I was 400 pounds, 17 months later I got down to 160 lbs (6'0"). The weight loss totally changed my life. I was lucky in that I was able to lose the weight without having any readily apparent long term complications. (No lasting HBP or Diabetes, I do have some loose skin)

I would never have believed it 4 years ago but eating less and moving more really can work wonders.

Wow, Mike. I am inspired. Really. I am 6'1" and 325lbs. My wife saw your before picture and thought it looked exactly like me. I am built just like that. How did you lose the weight? I just started a new diet and I already commute on bike. I'm hoping its enough.
Old 10-03-06, 08:09 PM
Mike_Morrow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rykoala
How did you lose the weight? I just started a new diet and I already commute on bike. I'm hoping its enough.

This is a repost from above:

When I was losing weight for the first 100 pounds it was all diet no exercise. At 400 pounds EVERYTHING was work, I was worried about my heart and knees, and truth be told I wasn't a big fan of exercise (imagine that *Grins*). Once I lost the first 100 I started walking to build up my fitness level, I walked 5 miles a day every day. If I had it to do over I would have started the exercise earlier in the process. About a year into the journey my wife and I bought a weight system and a Life Fitness elliptical, at this point I switched to the elliptical for an hour a day and lifting about 40 minutes every other day.

My diet was 1500'ish calories a day 6 days a week with one day a week where I would eat out with my wife and daughter an order off the menu skipping bread basket and dessert. The day out had the effect of making my caloric average in the neighborhood of 1750 - 1850 a day on average. I also took vitamin supplements.

Now I really mix up my activities. My wife and I started running triathlons this summer so I run, bike, swim and elliptical on a regular basis. During the nice weather the elliptical doesnt get as much use as I know I will be stuck in our workout room as the weather turns. I try to get at least an hour of cardio a day and lift at least 3 days a week.

My weight has been rock solid + or - 3 pounds for the last year and a half and to that I credit exercise. Exercise is only moderately helpful for losing weight (as it can be quickly undone by what we put in our mouth) but boy can it help one maintain the loss.
Old 10-03-06, 08:12 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerdz
Gary - wow! That's what I want to do for myself. I can't believe that second guy is the same person.
Thanks for the kind words Gerdz. I can't believe it either. I feel amazing. It is hard for me to believe that I went from being a couch Potato one summer to being a competitive racer the next. Al I can say is that if I can do it then anyone can. No one loves food and drink more than I. It is just mind over matter. One trick I did was to weigh myself everyday so if I was bad one day I would see it on the scale the next. I learned how important being strict on my diet was. No cheating allowed.....
Old 10-04-06, 10:31 AM
rykoala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry Mike, I didn't see the post above. I must admit I was in a hurry and only glancing through the thread. I hate it when other people do that so I have slapped myself silly as I wish I could do to others

Here's a pic of me. Lets consider this my *before* picture. I'm at 325lbs, down from 345lbs last year. This was taken in August 2006 at Yosemite National Park at Curry Camp. I am going back next year. I hope to get a picture in the same place, but with a different me

Old 10-04-06, 11:15 AM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by Mike_Morrow
If you continue at 1700 calories a day and get moderate exercise on a regular basis the weight will melt away before you know it. The weight loss will pay benefits you never dreamed of. I wish you all the best. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Agreed, 100% here! Remember to keep up with your hydration and remember you do need some additional intake on longer rides! Keeping the intake just below requirements for your activity level is important. As you get into longer riding, then you may need to adjust that caloric intake up accordingly to avoid bonking!

Old 10-04-06, 12:19 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Rykoala, best of luck and a pretty much guarantee that you can do it!

Old 10-04-06, 12:24 PM
rykoala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Tom. Coming from you, that means something. I looked at your pic and thought "wow.... I can do that if I try hard enough!". My wonderful wife calculated that I'm currently eating 1700 calories a day. If I can keep that up for a year or so....
Old 10-04-06, 01:20 PM
Mike_Morrow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rykoala
Thanks Tom. Coming from you, that means something. I looked at your pic and thought "wow.... I can do that if I try hard enough!". My wonderful wife calculated that I'm currently eating 1700 calories a day. If I can keep that up for a year or so....

If you continue at 1700 calories a day and get moderate exercise on a regular basis the weight will melt away before you know it. The weight loss will pay benefits you never dreamed of. I wish you all the best. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Old 10-05-06, 05:40 PM
wethepeople
Long haired freak.

Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
last year at 17 and 206lbs

this year at 130, I'll get a better pic later.

Lost it all from biking and rugby, plus just being more active.

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.