Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post Pics of Your Independent Fabrication Roadie

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Post Pics of Your Independent Fabrication Roadie

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 12:33 PM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steel Crown Jewel with SRAM Force, DT RR 1.1 rims and steel IF fork. Full custom geometry to fit my long-legged build. Best feeling bike I have ever ridden. Smooth to the point that I thought I had a low tire on the first few rides. Corners like a cat on carpet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ruby resize.jpg (36.6 KB, 93 views)
Old 02-26-07, 02:12 PM
dogpound
1 trick pony

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Jays
Hi dogpound-

What is it about the newer XS model that encourages you NOT to purchase it, if they are very nice in person? There is a side of me that thinks a well-crafted steel Crown Jewel might be nearly as light as the Ti version and likely stiffer. Maybe similar in weight/stiffness to the XS as well. There aren't zillions of I.F. owners out there, so all insights and advice is greatly appreciated. The pictures are simply awesome...

~ Blue Jays ~
Carbon. It's just not my thing. I've ridden it and just wouldn't want to pay that much for carbon. Ti, maybe, I just reallylove my 2 steal iffys and think I would stay with that.
And I'll throw in that I've done 3 ironmans on my iffy tri bike and could not have been more comfortable.
Old 02-26-07, 02:23 PM
Blue Jays
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi dogpound-

My previous experience has always been traditional steel with a steel fork, so it's quite a leap of faith in determining the best material for this new Independent Fabrication frameset that I seek to build.

~ Blue Jays ~
Old 02-26-07, 03:54 PM
daver42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! Why the long cage RD with your double crank? Just curious.

Originally Posted by LowCel
Here's my Ti Crown Jewel.

Old 02-27-07, 07:18 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Jays
Hi LowCel-

Your choice of that "burnt orange" color coupled with the black carbon fiber seatstays / forks along with natural titanium chainstays is fantastic! Do you happen to have close-up photographs of the various decals on the bike along with different angles? Congratulations on the cool bike, you must be loving it. Did you consider a steel Crown Jewel or carbon fiber XS when purchasing? If so, how did you ultimately make your decision on this beautiful bike?

~ Blue Jays ~
Thanks, the bike doesn't have carbon seatstays though. I bought this bike to last, therefore I went without the seat stays. It ended up paying off. This bike has been through two crashes so far and it is still in perfect condition.

If you let me know which decals you would like a close up I will do my best to get them for you.

I actually ordered a steel frame at first. A couple of days later I contacted IF and had them change it to titanium. I do a lot of riding in the winter around here and there is a lot of salt on the road. I also get stuck out in the rain a good bit. I know I probably wouldn't have had to worry about rust, but why chance it.

I don't believe the carbon fiber xs was available when I purchased mine. They had just recently came out with the carbon fiber seat stays at that point. I received this frame from IF in August 2004.
Old 02-27-07, 07:20 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by daver42
Nice! Why the long cage RD with your double crank? Just curious.
I was originally running a 13-29 cassette. Over time I have been able to switch to a 13-26 and a 12-25. I just don't see any reason to get rid of a perfectly good derailleur that is doing the job even if not completely necessary.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I have a new Campy Chorus crankset waiting to go on it once the weather gets a little better.
Old 02-27-07, 10:06 AM
daver42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear you, no sense to ditch a good RD (especially Record). But that new crankset will look great on your bike giving you a complete Campy setup. Be sure to post updated pics.
Old 09-22-12, 10:53 PM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, here's my new Baby which I ordered from Adrenaline Bike Shop in Orange, CA.

Steel IF Crown Jewel, Campy Chorus, C4 hubs on Velocity A23s. To my surprise, she came in @ 19 pounds as pictured.

Pics by Moto Matt the shop wheel builder.

Old 10-01-12, 07:07 PM
deinonychi

Bikes: Gunnar, Surly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New IF Steel Crown Jewel, built up with SRAM Force. Rides as good as it looks. The images here were taken a week or so ago in Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction, Colorado.

Old 06-25-22, 09:43 AM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Bikes: IF Crown Jewel, Lugged Columbus SLX Serotta

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
This thread has not seen any action in 10 years, and I didn't find any newer/ similar threads. Seems time to dust it off, throw away the mothballs, and revive posting pics of your Indy Fabs. Beautifully and artfully crafted made in USA bikes.

Here are pics of my recently purchased and rehabbed IF Crown Jewel Factory Lightweight.

Now it's your turn. Show us your Independent Fabrication steel and Ti bikes !!!

Likes For Recycled Cycler: