Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Portland area commuting help

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Portland area commuting help

Old 05-14-22, 01:13 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Any bike commute longer than 1/2 mile or so is a work in progress with respect to routing. We recently bought a home in Rose City Park and have a 4 mile tandem commute to my DW (blind) worksite in Buckman, and then I ride back home light, using a different route than the one we used outbound. Both routes have evolved from the trip suggested in Google Maps using the bike routing option. I haven't seen Google Maps suggested as a ride planning tool. Why is that? It's ubiquitous, and free. Ride with GPS requires a subscription for a quality experience but a commuter only needs a tiny fraction of the value of a product like RwGPS. If RwGPS, or Google Maps for that matter, routes you through an extensive homeless encampment are you going to accept that? So there is still scope for further refinement of suggested routing options, whether from friends, strangers online, or app based routing tools.

I've probably settled on a final, consistent routing between the NE 60's and SE teens, but it has taken around 3 major revisions and a couple of minor adjustments. And they may change again. That's all part of the ... hmmm, no good word for what this car free existence really is. There have definitely been more trips in driving rain this year than last. Riding in rain is definitely possible and a near must in a city like Portland. Be careful on the bridges and overpasses on any morning where the temperatures overnight hit freezing or below! The only times we have gone down (3x in 12 years) has been on black ice after an overnight freeze.