Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

MODS...stop moving threads

Old 01-03-21, 03:37 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
MODS...stop moving threads

Recently someone in the 50 and over crowd posted a thread about high BP. If you know anyone over 50 this is not unexpected. In my opinion this is a perfectly placed post. But, the mods decided to create an entirely new forum for health & medication discussions. As a result, no one is now continuing the discussion. That's too bad because some of us who will never go to the new forum have information to contribute. I find this to be anal and infuriating. That was a robust and helpful thread and now it is dead. How does that help members?
Likes For bruce19:
Old 01-03-21, 04:40 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
sigh
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-03-21, 09:23 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 894 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Recently someone in the 50 and over crowd posted a thread about high BP. If you know anyone over 50 this is not unexpected. In my opinion this is a perfectly placed post. But, the mods decided to create an entirely new forum for health & medication discussions. As a result, no one is now continuing the discussion. That's too bad because some of us who will never go to the new forum have information to contribute. I find this to be anal and infuriating. That was a robust and helpful thread and now it is dead. How does that help members?
We got too many complaints of that sub forum being filled with nothing but aches and pains. People who come for cycling content could not find any. We were left with the choice of either deleting them all , or making a separate sub forum. But perhaps you're right. I will discuss with the moderation team the possibility of getting rid of "Pills and Ills" and not allowing any medical issues in 50+ at all. This is, after all, a cycling site. There are medical forums that im sure are lively.Thank you for the enlightenment.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-03-21, 09:53 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Just a thought. Move threads as you think is appropriate, but have a page at the original location saying this thread has been moved, and have a link to it. This could be removed after some time, for example, a month.

Or maybe even better, set up the forum so people automatically get redirected.
Likes For alo:
Old 01-04-21, 07:49 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
We got too many complaints of that sub forum being filled with nothing but aches and pains. People who come for cycling content could not find any. We were left with the choice of either deleting them all , or making a separate sub forum. But perhaps you're right. I will discuss with the moderation team the possibility of getting rid of "Pills and Ills" and not allowing any medical issues in 50+ at all. This is, after all, a cycling site. There are medical forums that im sure are lively.Thank you for the enlightenment.
Thank you for elaborating. I think the idea that people who went to that forum for cycling content couldn't find any is not accurate. If they can't find cycling content how will eliminating the health posts add to the cycling related content. According to that theory, eliminating those posts will leave nothing since there's nothing but non-cycling posts there. And, why wouldn't health/medical issues that cyclist face not be cycling related? How many times have we all extolled the virtues of cycling for health? And, since no one I know on BF is a pro cyclist, aren't we all cycling for pleasure and health benefits? On the theory that health issues are not cycling related, why have a forum at all? This is a cycling site after all, no? My position is that there is plenty of cycling in that sub-forum. If there wasn't I wouldn't go there. I also think health is cycling related as I have said. If someone has no interest in a health related topic is it so hard to ignore it rather than deny the rest of us? With respect to that particular thread...I have plenty to add to the discussion but I would not go trolling in a health sub-forum to see if there was something I could add. How does that help the OP? In any event, thank you for responding and your willingness to consider the points I am trying to make.

Perhaps a way to resolve this is to have a discussion with the over 50 crowd. Have a one-time posting for people to discuss whether health issues belong in the forum. I'd be interested in the responses.

Last edited by bruce19; 01-04-21 at 08:12 AM.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 01-04-21, 12:28 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Originally Posted by alo
Just a thought. Move threads as you think is appropriate, but have a page at the original location saying this thread has been moved, and have a link to it. This could be removed after some time, for example, a month.

Or maybe even better, set up the forum so people automatically get redirected.
That could be done, yes. We used to do it when we first opened Pills and Ills but again, it clogged up the 50+ forum. I will bring this up for moderator review, pending the team does not decide to get rid of Pill and Ills and all other medical related posts altogether, thank you.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-04-21, 12:32 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Thank you for elaborating. I think the idea that people who went to that forum for cycling content couldn't find any is not accurate. If they can't find cycling content how will eliminating the health posts add to the cycling related content. According to that theory, eliminating those posts will leave nothing since there's nothing but non-cycling posts there. And, why wouldn't health/medical issues that cyclist face not be cycling related? How many times have we all extolled the virtues of cycling for health? And, since no one I know on BF is a pro cyclist, aren't we all cycling for pleasure and health benefits? On the theory that health issues are not cycling related, why have a forum at all? This is a cycling site after all, no? My position is that there is plenty of cycling in that sub-forum. If there wasn't I wouldn't go there. I also think health is cycling related as I have said. If someone has no interest in a health related topic is it so hard to ignore it rather than deny the rest of us? With respect to that particular thread...I have plenty to add to the discussion but I would not go trolling in a health sub-forum to see if there was something I could add. How does that help the OP? In any event, thank you for responding and your willingness to consider the points I am trying to make.

Perhaps a way to resolve this is to have a discussion with the over 50 crowd. Have a one-time posting for people to discuss whether health issues belong in the forum. I'd be interested in the responses.
Since you are not a moderator, you did not see the complaints. I wish I could have screen shot how many cycling threads there were to medical threads. Frankly, I don't think its fair that people who want to know about 50+ cycling content should have to fish through the medical threads. It's not much to do one more click and have all the medical threads in one place. But again, if you honestly think that there is no cycling content, maybe 50+ should be eliminated as well?

Or maybe this place just doesnt satisfy your needs any more.

Again, there are plenty of medical forums out there....
Old 01-04-21, 12:59 PM
bruce19

Since you are not a moderator, you did not see the complaints. I wish I could have screen shot how many cycling threads there were to medical threads. Frankly, I don't think its fair that people who want to know about 50+ cycling content should have to fish through the medical threads. It's not much to do one more click and have all the medical threads in one place. But again, if you honestly think that there is no cycling content, maybe 50+ should be eliminated as well?

Or maybe this place just doesnt satisfy your needs any more.

Again, there are plenty of medical forums out there....
I think you are mis-reading my statement. I was responding to your statement..."We got too many complaints of that sub forum being filled with nothing but aches and pains. People who come for cycling content could not find any." If that was true, that would mean there is zero cycling content on that sub-forum. That is clearly inaccurate. If it was true, why would you have the forum? But, just to be clear, I think cycling for 50 and over and health issues go hand in hand. I've been a member for over 14 yrs and this has never been an issue before. I will suggest again that the issue be put out for a discussion in the sub-forum. Let's see what the membership has to say. After all this is a member drivven site.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 01-04-21, 04:01 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,671 Posts
Sorry to see this somewhat tense exchange. I believe that Siu Blue Wind isn't saying that there are no cycling-related threads to be found in the 50+ sub-forum but instead that members had complained about the large number of health- and illness-related postings there and the moderators felt that something had to be done to address those complaints.

Perhaps the moderators might consider moving "Pills and Ills" out of the 50+ section such that it became a sub-forum on its own (e.g., "Pills and Ills for Cyclists" or the equivalent). Injuries and illnesses are not experienced solely by 50+ cyclists, after all. I suspect that the 50+ cyclists would gravitate to that sub-forum, wherever it ends up.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-04-21, 07:17 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Sorry to see this somewhat tense exchange. I believe that Siu Blue Wind isn't saying that there are no cycling-related threads to be found in the 50+ sub-forum but instead that members had complained about the large number of health- and illness-related postings there and the moderators felt that something had to be done to address those complaints.

Perhaps the moderators might consider moving "Pills and Ills" out of the 50+ section such that it became a sub-forum on its own (e.g., "Pills and Ills for Cyclists" or the equivalent). Injuries and illnesses are not experienced solely by 50+ cyclists, after all. I suspect that the 50+ cyclists would gravitate to that sub-forum, wherever it ends up.
That's actually a good idea because people of all ages get hurt or have ills. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 01-04-21, 07:22 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

I think you are mis-reading my statement. I was responding to your statement..."We got too many complaints of that sub forum being filled with nothing but aches and pains. People who come for cycling content could not find any." If that was true, that would mean there is zero cycling content on that sub-forum. That is clearly inaccurate. If it was true, why would you have the forum? But, just to be clear, I think cycling for 50 and over and health issues go hand in hand. I've been a member for over 14 yrs and this has never been an issue before. I will suggest again that the issue be put out for a discussion in the sub-forum. Let's see what the membership has to say. After all this is a member drivven site.
Is it really too much for you to click up above (it's still in 50+)?

I hope you do realize that medical issues are not just 50+ Tri athletes get them, roadies, and mountain bikers. But 50+ had a majority of the threads being taken over by medical issues. Others have gone to medical forums. Pills and Ills is a gift. I can get rid of it entirely but since people are going to be upset, I'd like to give you credit for it.
Old 01-04-21, 09:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,341 Times in 7,185 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
sigh
....point to where it hurts you, but on the doll.
Old 01-05-21, 11:02 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Our sister site, WebMD is happy to help with medical questions!
Old 01-05-21, 12:37 PM
bruce19

Is it really too much for you to click up above (it's still in 50+)?

I hope you do realize that medical issues are not just 50+ Tri athletes get them, roadies, and mountain bikers. But 50+ had a majority of the threads being taken over by medical issues. Others have gone to medical forums. Pills and Ills is a gift. I can get rid of it entirely but since people are going to be upset, I'd like to give you credit for it.
I guess you are going to continue to misconstrue what I have been saying. I can't tell if you can't read for content or you just don't want to actually have a conversation and would rather rely on your passive aggressiveness. . So never mind.
Old 01-06-21, 09:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
That's actually a good idea because people of all ages get hurt or have ills. Thank you for the suggestion.
JMO but I was happy to have "Pills and Ills" separated a little from 50+. Maybe it would be good to move it to the Lounge, open it up to everyone. You'd probably have to be aggressive in moving threads for awhile, maybe forever. We old folks love to talk about our medical issues....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-06-21, 12:32 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

I guess you are going to continue to misconstrue what I have been saying. I can't tell if you can't read for content or you just don't want to actually have a conversation and would rather rely on your passive aggressiveness. . So never mind.
Passive aggressive? LOL okay. You just aren't understanding how medical threads took over the 50+ forum.

Please understand that not everyone is as smart as you. Maybe you'd like to take over my position (the offer is real) to give back to the community that gave you so much all these years.

And others.. they can figure out how to click a button up above and still in the same forum...

Let me know if you want to deal with complaints all day long. I'd love to have you give your time.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 01-06-21, 12:33 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
JMO but I was happy to have "Pills and Ills" separated a little from 50+. Maybe it would be good to move it to the Lounge, open it up to everyone. You'd probably have to be aggressive in moving threads for awhile, maybe forever. We old folks love to talk about our medical issues....
We've actually had good response to moving it, people are posting there themselves and we are not having to move much. I know that after we moved it, many messages of thanks were given. Thank you for your comment.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 01-12-21, 08:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I'm not at all sure that medical topics should be discussed on the forums at all. The people who are most vocal on such threads are often pushing some form of quackery or another, much of which might be quite harmful. I don't think it's fair to expect the mods to have the burden of sorting through reams of "medical" advice in order to separate out the medically valid vs. the mostly harmless vs. the actually dangerous, and I think the risk of something very bad happening if they let everything get posted is enormous.

I'd be comfortable with a policy that said that medicine and medical advice is outside the competence of the forum, and just removing such threads entirely.

BTW, I notice that the people who identify themselves as doctors on the forum generally do not give medical advice, but are mostly answering garbage quack posts and conspiracy theory nonsense.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-12-21, 10:01 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I read the 50+ forum because I'm approaching 50, have my own ailments already, and I want to see my future by seeing what other things ail the 50+ crowd. I don't care about what bikes the 50+ crowd rides, nor how they perform their bike maintenance, nor whether they like tubeless or not. Their age, and the things related to age is the whole point of the forum IMHO, and if not, what is???
Likes For Riveting:
Old 01-12-21, 12:55 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Trakhak

I was just reacting to this quote..."People who come for cycling content could not find any." If that was hyperbole then say it.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 01-13-21, 08:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I read the 50+ forum because I'm approaching 50, have my own ailments already, and I want to see my future by seeing what other things ail the 50+ crowd. I don't care about what bikes the 50+ crowd rides, nor how they perform their bike maintenance, nor whether they like tubeless or not. Their age, and the things related to age is the whole point of the forum IMHO, and if not, what is???

Well, I'm sure not going to a forum about bicycling at any age to find out what kind of pills people approximately my age are taking. A quick perusal of the main forum topics sure makes it appear that there's plenty people want to discuss other than pills, aches and equipment.

The subforum is a compromise so people who do want to read and post about such things can do so. Is that a problem for you?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-13-21, 04:16 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,341 Times in 7,185 Posts
...I prescribe locking this thread, and a 3 week course of Valium.*

*may be addictive if taken longer than prescribed. **

**who am I kidding? That stuff is addictive as hell.
Old 01-14-21, 11:12 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

I was just reacting to this quote..."People who come for cycling content could not find any." If that was hyperbole then say it.
This proves that we were doing a good job at taking care of the medical threads in 50+. Thank you Bruce.

And I ask you again, is it too much for you to click above the 50+ to go to the P and I? Because if it is, I will fix it so that it's easier for you Just give me the word.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 01-18-21, 02:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what the issue is fully.

But I do support threads being moved to a the more appropriate place. There have been a few times though that I think a thread got moved and there was no message in the original location stated where it'd been moved.

And I do like that there is a separate Pills and Ills sub-forum to the Fifty Plus.

I wish the Advocacy and Safety forum had a sub-forum for threads about vehicle hit cyclist threads which really get old quick to me.
Likes For Iride01: