Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When internal cable routing sucks

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-19-21, 05:07 PM
jayp410

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts

Just had to replace a broken shifter cable on my externally-routed road bike. (Luckily, the cable broke on the bike stand when I was adjusting the shifting, which had gotten bad...and now I know why). Being externally routed, it was easy: pull the cable through and replace. On the road, I could install a spare cable, or, if not carrying a spare, could at least anchor the broken cable to a downtube cage bolt, adjust, and ride home.

This got me thinking that with an interally-routed cable, that wouldn't work so well. It probably wouldn't be easy to pull it through out the bottom bracket to anchor the cable to the frame, and after doing so, it might require taking out the fork and/or bottom bracket to route the new one. If you carry a spare cable and some thin Spectra fishing line, could tie the line to the old and new cables and pull the new one through. I did this on my new internally-routed bike build, after accidentally cutting the new RD cable too short. However, my bike also has internal plastic sleeves that run through the plastic BB cable guide, which are barely larger than the cable itself, and even with a cleanly-cut cable and the very thin fishing line, it was not easy to pull it through. If the cable end was frayed, the end would be considerably larger and might be almost impossible to pull through. So to fix this on the road, I'd have to also carry one of those heavy cable cutters to get a clean cut. Yeah, that's not happening.

So it seems that I'll either need to remember replace the shifter cables regularly (before they show symptoms of fraying). When I inevitably forget to do that, it will mean a call to the wife to come pick me up.

How do you deal with this?
Old 07-19-21, 05:32 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I have 2 road bikes. One is externally routed, easy peasy. One is internal.

The internally routed one requires more time and patience. How do I deal? Let’s say it invokes a lot of words I can’t say here.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-19-21, 06:08 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Probably easier to describe when it doesn't suck.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-19-21, 06:13 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by jayp410

Preventive maintenance.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 07-19-21, 06:14 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
In the plus column, internal cable routing is an iron-clad excuse to buy yet another tool.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-20-21, 07:06 PM
ShannonM

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Probably easier to describe when it doesn't suck.
When looking at the bike.

And at no other time.

--Shannon

PS: I have always had a soft spot for the rear derailleur cable routing on the late 80s steel Treks. Love the look, even though replacing one (1) of them gave me PTSD... so sanitary.
Old 07-20-21, 07:43 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Sram eTap... problem solved.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-20-21, 10:18 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I've been cycling for 45 years and have never had to replace a cable. Keep your bikes dry and properly lubricated to reduce the chances of a broken cable.
Likes For jackb:
Old 07-20-21, 10:34 PM
ShannonM

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
I've been cycling for 45 years and have never had to replace a cable. Keep your bikes dry and properly lubricated to reduce the chances of a broken cable.
This reminds me of an episode of Car Talk, when some dude called in and told Tom & Ray that he and his wife had a Honda Accord, (early 1990s, IIRC,) with like 245,000 miles on it.

They'd never changed the oil. Just checked it every so often and added some when it got a bit low.

Dude's question was "so, should I do an oil change?" To which Click and Clack both responded with some version of "Dear God, No!!! If you do, your car will be dead in a week!", followed by much existential angst about "everything we know is wrong" and "have we been ripping off our customers for all these years?"

Seriously, you've been riding the same cables for 45 years??? Man, I ain't been livin' right!

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 07-21-21, 02:28 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
This got me thinking that with an interally-routed cable, that wouldn't work so well. It probably wouldn't be easy to pull it through out the bottom bracket to anchor the cable to the frame

I have a Diamondback Podium and both shifter cables come out under the BB. What I do is bend the last inch or so of the tip of the cables a little less than a 90 degree angle. When I push the cable through and it contacts the BB area I twist and push the cable and can fish it out pretty easy. I also do it on my frames with an internal rear brake cable. It's kind of hard to explain it but when you do it you'll see what I'm talking about.

But I prefer external routing.
Old 07-21-21, 02:35 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
It's one of those things which sounds like a much bigger problem than it is.

The first time I was replacing cables on my internally routed bike which did involve a fair bit of swearing, I put in these thin cable liners and left them there, and subsequent cable changes were an absolute breeze. If you don't want to leave them in the bike, you could carry the cable liners to make the job easier (they're lighter than a cable) if you wanted to do it in the field, but I never carry a spare cable anyway.

I change the cables preventively once a year or two, though. My preference is for internal cables, overall.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 07-21-21 at 03:25 AM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 07-21-21, 05:53 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Had to route rear brake line from the caliper to the lever completely internally routed. Could not have done it alone as it required two people, one to guide the hose to the opening in head tube and the other person twisting the hose to get it past the internally routed rear derailleur cable where the hose was getting hung up. Complete bulls**t.

Internally routed cables and hoses are for boy racer wannabes. They solve nothing and add a level of complexity not necessary for one of the simplest transit machines.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-21-21, 07:19 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
This reminds me of an episode of Car Talk, when some dude called in and told Tom & Ray that he and his wife had a Honda Accord, (early 1990s, IIRC,) with like 245,000 miles on it.

They'd never changed the oil. Just checked it every so often and added some when it got a bit low.

Dude's question was "so, should I do an oil change?" To which Click and Clack both responded with some version of "Dear God, No!!! If you do, your car will be dead in a week!", followed by much existential angst about "everything we know is wrong" and "have we been ripping off our customers for all these years?"

Seriously, you've been riding the same cables for 45 years??? Man, I ain't been livin' right!

--Shannon
Sorry, I don't believe that a car with 245,000 miles has never had an oil change, unless it kept burning off the old oil and they replaced it with fresh oil. I've changed the oil in a car which was 30,000 miles (!) overdue for an oil change, and the oil just totally glopped out of the drain pan in chunks. The owner kept driving it without changing the oil and it eventually burnt up on the side of the road. Did another oil change on a truck which I don't know how far overdue it was, and the "oil" was pretty much all sludge. It's really a surprise when you remove the drain plug and nothing comes out. And the oil filter was pretty much full of solid sludge. How it was still running, I have no idea. But we put some oil system cleaner in it and got most of the sludge out, fresh oil and it's back on the road.

In that Honda Accord, I'm guessing that the drain pan and oil filter are just totally full of solid sludge. Keep cooking the oil for 245,000 miles and that's what happens.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-21-21, 07:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
You expect me to deal with ugly-ass, plebeian external cables because there's the possibility that, once in a decade or two, I might pop a cable mid-ride? Nah.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-21-21, 08:27 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Cables become a schedule interval service for replacement when they are internally routed, for any of my bicycles.
Old 07-21-21, 10:42 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Internally routed cables and hoses are for boy racer wannabes..
I have a bike with internal cables, and I'm definitely not a boy racer wannabe. The bike just came like that. And frankly, it is a cleaner look though I hope I don't ever have to replace the cable.
Old 07-21-21, 11:27 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts

Broken Cable... So what? Take Steps to Prevent this problem and Quit Whining...

No... Honestly it can be hard to route those little buggers but its just a thing ya gotta do and even if you have done it allot... Its still a thing...
Old 07-21-21, 11:30 AM
kommisar

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Internally routed cables are a "feature" that reduces the functionality of the bicycle and are something I like to avoid when purchasing a new frame. Hard to install, hard to fix, no apparent practical benefit.
Likes For kommisar:
Old 07-21-21, 11:50 AM
WhyFi

I question the mechanical aptitude and creativity of anyone that kvetches about the difficulty of internally routed cables and brake lines. It's not that difficult to get some thread or dental floss through the frame. Once a lead is in place, it's trivial to pull cables and brake lines through. If you're not starting from a bare frame, even easier - just use the existing cable as the lead.

Given the (in)frequency of need, and the low level of difficulty, it's really not a big deal, IMO. ​​​
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-21-21, 01:49 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Let me get this straight. You're bashing a feature based on something that may happen to you someday that might involve you calling for a ride.
Old 07-21-21, 02:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
By riding externally routed bikes. Its easy to not have to deal with something that isnt applicable.
Old 07-21-21, 03:52 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Brakeless fixie.

Problem solved?

Old 07-21-21, 07:03 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
"I question the mechanical aptitude and creativity of anyone that kvetches about the difficulty of internally routed cables and brake lines. It's not that difficult to get some thread or dental floss through the frame. Once a lead is in place, it's trivial to pull cables and brake lines through..."

Question no more!
Externally routed cables are easily replaced in a few minutes, same with some, but certainly not all internally routed cables. Internally routed brake hose is whole other animal and a total PIA to deal with because externally routed housing is simply simple to deal with and goes quickly in comparison. Creativity and aptitude has zero to do with it. I have routed ebrake cables on autos in less time than some internally routed brake hose.

For what it is worth, which ain't much, I am a trained bike wrench, motorcycle wrench and car wrench. Was certified ASE long ago. Been wrenching my whole life and certainly have seen my share of creative moments!
Old 07-21-21, 07:48 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"I question the mechanical aptitude and creativity of anyone that kvetches about the difficulty of internally routed cables and brake lines. It's not that difficult to get some thread or dental floss through the frame. Once a lead is in place, it's trivial to pull cables and brake lines through..."

Question no more!
Externally routed cables are easily replaced in a few minutes, same with some, but certainly not all internally routed cables. Internally routed brake hose is whole other animal and a total PIA to deal with because externally routed housing is simply simple to deal with and goes quickly in comparison. Creativity and aptitude has zero to do with it. I have routed ebrake cables on autos in less time than some internally routed brake hose.

For what it is worth, which ain't much, I am a trained bike wrench, motorcycle wrench and car wrench. Was certified ASE long ago. Been wrenching my whole life and certainly have seen my share of creative moments!
You kvetch about internally routed frames and can't figure out the "Quote" button, but you want me to accept your competence? Okay.
Old 07-21-21, 07:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I don't get the point of this topic. If you don't like internal cables, get a frame with external.

I'll repeat my previous post... get Sram eTap HRD, no cables at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.