Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Totally Tubular

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Totally Tubular

Old 02-04-06, 06:31 PM
Bob S.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Steel wool takes old glue off pretty well. It needs to be sort of coarse. Be sure to wear heavy duty gloves, and clean up all the pieces of steel wool that come off.
Other options are bronze wool, stainless wool or a synthetic type pad. The maybe a bit more fdifficult to find & are more expensive. Their benefit is that the missed residue does not leave the rust spots that steel wool can. Bob
Old 02-17-06, 03:45 PM
SteakKnifeSally

Bikes: 200x Coppi w DuraAce 9, 82 Schwinn Voyager 11.2, 2004 DeBernardi Track, 83 Centurion Elite RS, and some others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone tried these tubulars?

https://www.yellowjersey.org/tt.html

Inexpensive. What did you think?

Paul
Old 02-17-06, 03:58 PM
Everest

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never had expierence woth those tubulars but yellow jersey is a fantastic shop. Great customer service. Easy to work with, probably one of the best online shops.
Old 02-17-06, 08:08 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I've heard very mixed reviews of the new Clement tires.
One problem may be the comparison to the clement seta silks of
old, how can anyone beat that?

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 02-21-06, 07:54 PM
SteakKnifeSally

Bikes: 200x Coppi w DuraAce 9, 82 Schwinn Voyager 11.2, 2004 DeBernardi Track, 83 Centurion Elite RS, and some others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a tangential tubular question

I recently scored my first set of tubular wheels, and pretty wheels they are. Campy Omega rims with older dura ace hubs. They are however 28 spoke wheels. What would you consider a safe rider weight for 28 hole wheels with these rims. What are your experiences?
Old 02-21-06, 09:57 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Guys who weighed 150 pounds used to race on those with no problem. I think you're safe up to at least 180 if you don't abuse your equipment.
Old 03-01-06, 11:30 AM
SteakKnifeSally

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm purchasing a used set of tubular wheels. They have a set of Conti Sprinters glued on. The tires have been on for a couple of years. The seller recommends regluing. These wheels are for track use on 42degree banking? Should I reglue?

If I reglue, should I take off all the old glue from the rim? from the tire? How would I do that for the tire? Any other differences between a reglue and a new installation?
Old 03-01-06, 11:31 AM
SteakKnifeSally

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
USA Zorro
Thanks for your reply. I guess I have to drop the 15 winter pounds before riding those wheels. The combination of the two should be very good for my uphills.
Paul
Old 03-01-06, 11:42 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by SteakKnifeSally
I'm purchasing a used set of tubular wheels. They have a set of Conti Sprinters glued on. The tires have been on for a couple of years. The seller recommends regluing. These wheels are for track use on 42degree banking? Should I reglue?

If I reglue, should I take off all the old glue from the rim? from the tire? How would I do that for the tire? Any other differences between a reglue and a new installation?
If the glue is dried, yes, you want to remove it. It isn't hard to get it off the rim - a brass brush should knock it off pretty quickly. I've never had to deal with getting dried glue off a tire though.
Old 03-09-06, 01:08 PM
chzman
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the wheels i pulled the trigger on aren't real vintage being Zipp pave rims laced to Phil hubs, but they are still tubulars. so i figured you guys might have the best imput on tire recommendations.

in uptopia, i would have the lightest, most puncture-proof tire available... but as this is earth, i'll have to compromise... any endorsements for a lightweight, puncture-resistant, durable tubie? thanks!
Old 04-14-06, 05:52 AM
Fred Smedley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chzman
the wheels i pulled the trigger on aren't real vintage being Zipp pave rims laced to Phil hubs, but they are still tubulars. so i figured you guys might have the best imput on tire recommendations.

in uptopia, i would have the lightest, most puncture-proof tire available... but as this is earth, i'll have to compromise... any endorsements for a lightweight, puncture-resistant, durable tubie? thanks!

Vittoria corsa cx
Old 04-14-06, 08:11 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I've been really happy with conti sprinters for an all round tire. Conti also recently released
a sprinter with gatorskin technology, supposed to be bulletproof.

that said my Tufo Elite Roads are seriously bulletproof, damn things won't wear out
and they ride like clinchers. . . .

marty

Old 05-09-06, 08:33 AM
thomspins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to remove a fresh tubular to change the valve extender. What do i need to do to remount this. Both the tire and rim have glue residue on them... do i need to remove all of this or just apply some more glue on top of the old on the rim and tire and put 'em back together.. ?
Old 05-09-06, 09:11 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Is the glue crackly and glazed? If it is, you'll want to take it off the rim (thoroughly), and gently remove as much as you can from the tire before re-glueing. If the glue has some elasticity remaining, all you need to do is reapply fresh glue.
Old 05-09-06, 09:24 AM
thomspins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Is the glue crackly and glazed? If it is, you'll want to take it off the rim (thoroughly), and gently remove as much as you can from the tire before re-glueing. If the glue has some elasticity remaining, all you need to do is reapply fresh glue.
yeah it's still all elastic and boogerish (if you can pick it off...) esp on the tire ( man that conti stuff sticks..)
Old 05-09-06, 09:46 AM
lotek 

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
yup just put a fresh layer of glue on the rim and remount the tire, you should
be good to go.

marty

Old 05-10-06, 11:51 AM
plodderslusk

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Old Roval wheels

Some years ago i found a little used set of Roval tubular wheels at a fleamarket. I am now considering using them (probably with Conti Sprinter). They are lightweight wheels and I wonder if it is safe to use them even though they are made more than 20 years ago.
Old 05-10-06, 11:54 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

As long as they're not damaged, they're true, provide a decent braking surface and there's adequate spoke tension, they should be fine.
Old 05-19-06, 12:52 PM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a pair of Vredestein Volante Pro Tri Comp tubulars.

Caution - they are made in Thailand.

I put them on, headed out for a ride and was thinking how really nice they rode. About 25 miles out the front tire absolutely exploded. Gone. Blew apart right at the base of the Valve.

I was looking at the second one of the two last night, still mounted on the bike. It has about 100 miles total on it.

I noticed that the rear tire, the still "good" one, has a Bubble right in the centre of the tread, turning white.

Deflated the tire, pumped it up again and sure enough - there's the bubble, only bigger.

Two tires.

$100 total.

one gave me 25 miles.

The other 100 miles.

They're both done.

I ride and like the Vred. clinchers, I suppose the $110 Fortezza Tri Comp Pros would be better, but still and all. You're putting your name on the tires. I haven't even had this happen with the $20 Clements.

Beware everyone.
Old 05-19-06, 02:49 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

fwiw - I've had mixed success with Challenge brand tubulars (can't say I'm super-impressed with their quality control). I've had better success with Clement Futurox (yes, made in asia) and Vittoria Rallys (Kevlar, also made in asia). I strongly recommend deflating the Clements between rides though.
Old 05-19-06, 04:34 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by plodderslusk
Some years ago i found a little used set of Roval tubular wheels at a fleamarket. I am now considering using them (probably with Conti Sprinter). They are lightweight wheels and I wonder if it is safe to use them even though they are made more than 20 years ago.
rovals were made for time trialing...the most spokes that they came with was 24, and you find them more normally in 20 or 16(!). These aren't Rolfs with the big beefy rims. These babies were light. I have been riding a set (24x20) for a couple of years with no problem, but I don't ride 'em on anything rough, and don't go honking around the corners when I'm on 'em. They are fun, though.
Old 05-31-06, 03:15 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Motobecane(2), Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 308 Posts
Tufo Tape....who else has used it?

Let me relate a recent experience. I used Tufo extreme to install the tubies on my Ambrosio rims for the SLX Guerciotti. I tried it mostly because I always seem to make such a mess with glue. Anyway, put the tires on, lined 'em up, pulled out the tape. Rode a few weeks and yesterday while doing regular maintenance on the bike, noticed the rear tire was definitely not centered. "Well there," sez I. "You need to deal with that." So I proceed to try to remove the tire by hand. Not happening. Try again. Jeez...it looks like the bloody tape on the tire is coming off. Try another couple of spots. No go. That tire is on there. Good thing I did not need to change it out on the road as there was NFW that I was doing it without some leverage. I ended up using a BFS to pry the tire from the rim. Oh and the residue is fun to get off, also. There was probably enough residue there to remount the tire.

Back to glue for me...besides I figured out how to do it without making a mess.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 06-03-06, 07:32 AM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lotek
I've been really happy with conti sprinters for an all round tire. Conti also recently released
a sprinter with gatorskin technology, supposed to be bulletproof. marty
I know the gatorskin sprinters are listed on Conti's web site but have not seen or heard of anyone riding them yet. Anyone have any first hand experience with them yet? Bob
Old 06-04-06, 09:13 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
Tufo Tape....who else has used it?

well, I have a pair firmly stuck on - I didn't use the EXTREME stuff, though, just the cyclocross tape. I hope those tires last for ever, because I don't want to have to cut 'em off by the side of the road somewhere...
Old 06-04-06, 09:21 PM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
a sprinter with gatorskin technology, supposed to be bulletproof. marty

Originally Posted by Bob S.
I know the gatorskin sprinters are listed on Conti's web site but have not seen or heard of anyone riding them yet. Anyone have any first hand experience with them yet? Bob
You guys have to mention this RIGHT after I spent $120 on regular sprinters, didn't you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.