Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Identity and value of c1960 Raleigh

Old 11-11-19, 05:41 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 315 Posts
Identity and value of c1960 Raleigh

These are the only photos I have to go on but it appears to be a circa 1960 Raleigh. I can't, however, nail down the model.

It appears to have GB Mk III brakes, Cyclo Benelux Mk 7 derailleurs, and a Raleigh-logo light bracket attached to the headset.

Can anyone narrow down the year, model, and value?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-12-19, 09:57 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
...it's some kind of Raleigh Lenton. ( I think a Grand Prix). Look here and read this. Probably from the 50's, but with that front derailleur it's toward the later production models. So could possibly be from 19060-61. They are pretty good riders, and that one looks like a good restoration project, if you're into that stuff. You can Google search up a number of threads here on them, including one I started.

If you want to go wild with it, you can still buy some of the decals from H Lloyd in the UK.

I have no idea on value where you are located.
Old 11-13-19, 11:49 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
I think a Grand Prix
After a bit of research, I think you're right. It appears to be a 1961 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix. In the case of this bike, there is very little of the original decals left, but there's just enough to be fairly sure of the model.

H. Lloyd does not have the decals for this particular model, and the only ones I can find are not as correct as I'd prefer. In trying to find a value, I've seen a few examples with nice, original paint selling in the $300-$400 range. That being the case, I'm sure I'd be underwater if I spent more than around $50 for it. Unfortunately, they're asking $155.
Old 11-14-19, 08:09 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L

H. Lloyd does not have the decals for this particular model, and the only ones I can find are not as correct as I'd prefer. In trying to find a value, I've seen a few examples with nice, original paint selling in the $300-$400 range. That being the case, I'm sure I'd be underwater if I spent more than around $50 for it. Unfortunately, they're asking $155.
...I'm underwater on every bicycle restoration I've ever done. Luckily, I'm more of a buy and hold investor.
Likes For 3alarmer: