Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Schwinn Voyageur!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Schwinn Voyageur!

Old 02-25-21, 10:20 AM
ravenix 
Enthusiast

Bikes: ‘83 Trek 720, ‘85 Schwann Voyageur SP, ‘97 Ibis hakkalugi, '80's Haro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rhender
This is just gorgeous. Congratulations or well done. I can just tell how great this is going to turn out already.

Does anyone know if only the SPs came with vertical dropouts? It looks like all the other Voyageurs in this thread are horizontal.
Thanks! It’s been a lot of fun... just awaiting my rear derailleur to arrive and I’ll start cabling it up. Hope to have it completed by the end of next week.... Thinking it’ll be my new Randonneur steed! Long rides with lots of food & gear in a front handlebar & saddlebag.

I was originally planning on making this my loaded touring bike with front & rear panniers ..... but it’s too pretty!
Old 02-25-21, 06:21 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenix

I was originally planning on making this my loaded touring bike with front & rear panniers ..... but it’s too pretty!
Get some pretty front low rider panniers that come off easily. Then you have both. Don’t gotta leave them on when not doing the long heavily loaded tours!
Old 03-03-21, 10:00 PM
ravenix 
Enthusiast

Voyageur SP Further Update...

H Plus Son Archtype High Polish 32h laced to Shimano 105 Silver hub. Panaracer Gravelking+ 32mm tire.

Swapped the handlebars to a NOS 3TTT Morphe 44 wide silver bars.

Rene Herse front Rack... not completely secured yet.

Brakes are cabled up!

Berthoud 40mm Smooth Fenders.

Shimano 11-32 Cassette xtr
Old 03-04-21, 04:17 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 984 Posts
@ravenix that Voyageur (an SP no less!) is gorgeous! Love the polished silver with the really deep blue. 7700-era Dura-Ace STIs, too. Killer mix. Looking forward to its completion!
Old 03-14-21, 03:38 PM
ravenix 
Enthusiast

SP in the Sun... Good day for a test ride!

Finally have it finished and took it for a spin today.... all the silver bits really shine in the sun!

Old 03-14-21, 04:51 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 153 Posts
That's a great-looking SP! All the black makes it look so slick and modern. The powder coater really nailed that blue-black color too. I always love how mine will shift between the two colors depending on the lighting conditions.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 03-14-21, 09:59 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Great reading and all the pictures, amazing builds on these Voyageurs .
my voyageur story is I sold it, don't know what year I found not the SP, but when I got it home it had some serious toe-overlap. I ended up finding a Schwinn Passage, made in USA , from what I read,, and made with Columbus Tenax frame, ,, so I switched over all the better components which the Voyageur had to the Passage frame . The Passage has no toe-overlap, and a great ride . it has the rare gray color. I gave away the Voyageur frame ... It seems like the SP does not have toe overlap , but pretty hard to find that model ...
Old 03-14-21, 11:23 PM
ravenix 
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rooney
That's a great-looking SP! All the black makes it look so slick and modern. The powder coater really nailed that blue-black color too. I always love how mine will shift between the two colors depending on the lighting conditions.
Thanks! I was really going for a modern take on a classic '80's frame I think it came together fairly well..... still playing with a few different handlebars, haven't used the good bar tape yet until I decide on which one I want to use. Have a nice Ostrich front and saddle bag to complete the carrying capacity for Randonneuring rides!
A few more test rides and it'll be time to stretch my legs for some looooong days in the saddle!
Old 03-15-21, 11:15 AM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 153 Posts
I think you did a great job blending modern and classic! Moving the canti posts to get those beautiful Dia-Compe brakes on there is a great representation of that. I'm glad I was only trying to decide between two handlebars. Swapping one for the other was such a pain with moving all of the controls. And it's not like you can really test them semi-set up because then you don't have any brakes! I guess the best way to do it would be to throw it on a trainer and swap between the different options? I found it easy to tell when I preferred the ones I went with over the ones I didn't.

What color are your bags? I have some black Cannondale bags, but now that I've got all the honey accents on mine, the black looks a little severe to me. If I'd gone similar to your choices, I think they'd be a better match. Now, it's gotten me thinking about front rando bags.
Old 03-15-21, 08:22 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Depends on the year. The years where there was an SP, the other Voyageur had horizontal. But in non-SP years the Voyageurs have vertical. The 86-88 non-SP have vertical dropouts.
I have a 1983 Voyageur SP that I am finishing up. It has horizontal drop-outs and the narrowest canti post spacing I have ever seen. 60mm on the front and 65mm on the rear. Finding brakes that worked for the 700c wheel swap was a real chore! Ended up using a set of Dia Compe 981's.
Old 03-15-21, 08:32 PM
fender1

Some quick “basement level” pics.

Likes For fender1:
Old 03-15-21, 09:49 PM
polymorphself 

Never realized the ‘83 year had rack eyelets at the fork crown. Don’t see that much.
Old 03-16-21, 06:18 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Some quick “basement level” pics.

Nice! Are those 38s?
Old 03-16-21, 06:43 AM
fender1

Thanks! Yeah, 38's. I think I could go even a bit larger if needed but these are pretty huge and fit with no issues
Likes For fender1:
Old 03-16-21, 06:46 AM
fender1

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Never realized the ‘83 year had rack eyelets at the fork crown. Don’t see that much.
It is a cool feature but the racks themselves can be fussy to attach and they are made from pretty thin aluminum. I could not imagine riding down a mountain with a load on these racks! They easily flex using your hand!
Old 03-16-21, 10:06 AM
ravenix 
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rooney
I think you did a great job blending modern and classic! Moving the canti posts to get those beautiful Dia-Compe brakes on there is a great representation of that. I'm glad I was only trying to decide between two handlebars. Swapping one for the other was such a pain with moving all of the controls. And it's not like you can really test them semi-set up because then you don't have any brakes! I guess the best way to do it would be to throw it on a trainer and swap between the different options? I found it easy to tell when I preferred the ones I went with over the ones I didn't.

What color are your bags? I have some black Cannondale bags, but now that I've got all the honey accents on mine, the black looks a little severe to me. If I'd gone similar to your choices, I think they'd be a better match. Now, it's gotten me thinking about front rando bags.
Black Ostrich Canvas bags with brown leather straps.... going for a long test ride this weekend with them, I’ll shoot a few pics and a write up on how the build feels
Old 03-16-21, 10:10 AM
ravenix 
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shoota
Nice! Are those 38s?
Dang, Very Nice build! Love that crankset.... what is that triple. Rene Herse? The wheelset too is very cool, hubs?
Old 03-16-21, 10:19 AM
fender1

Originally Posted by ravenix
Dang, Very Nice build! Love that crankset.... what is that triple. Rene Herse? The wheelset too is very cool, hubs?
Thanks!
Crankset is a SUN XCD. I stumbled across it on ebay. Never seen one in a triple so I took a shot. I turned out to be the only bidder. The wheels are a set from Velo Orange from about 5 or 6 years ago. It is their sealed bearing hub and 126mm rear spacing,

Last edited by fender1; 03-16-21 at 10:31 AM.
Likes For fender1:
Old 03-16-21, 12:23 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by fender1
It is a cool feature but the racks themselves can be fussy to attach and they are made from pretty thin aluminum. I could not imagine riding down a mountain with a load on these racks! They easily flex using your hand!
If the bike is gonna be a keeper may be worth looking into a custom rack just for those eyelets!
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 03-17-21, 09:11 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
86 Voyageur

After unexpectedly selling my 1987 Voyageur (post #40 and #94) last summer I found I really missed that trusty steed that never let me down on tours. Having wheels and numerous other parts to build up a touring bike I decided to put out feelers for a frame to use them on. Inspired by @polymorphself and his successful quest for a beautiful 86 model (my personal favorite Voyageur year), that was the model I was hoping to find. Fellow member @BikeTales came through by selling me a beautiful specimen of a frame.

I built it up over the winter and should be giving it a test ride soon.

Old 03-17-21, 09:19 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
86 Voyageur

After unexpectedly selling my 1987 Voyageur (post #40 and #94) last summer I found I really missed that trusty steed that never let me down on tours. Having wheels and numerous other parts to build up a touring bike I decided to put out feelers for a frame to use them on. Inspired by @polymorphself and his successful quest for a beautiful 86 model (my personal favorite Voyageur year), that was the model I was hoping to find. Fellow member @BikeTales came through by selling me a beautiful specimen of a frame.

I built it up over the winter and should be giving it a test ride soon.

any toe overlap, I had a beige Voyager that had some major toe overlap and I sold it and then found a Schwinn passage which it has no toe overlap , an amazing ride. It is gray , Columbus Tenax , I think made in USA.

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-18-21 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-17-21, 09:40 PM
BikeTales 

Bikes: Custom 94 Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Looks great. That's a heck of a stem!
Old 03-17-21, 10:24 PM
polymorphself 

badger_biker Yes! Happy to see another good looking '86 around. And we both got ours from forum members nevertheless.

I've just swapped mine to aero levers, 700c and leather bar tape. Will post updated pics soon.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 03-17-21, 11:21 PM
badger_biker 

Originally Posted by BikeTales
Looks great. That's a heck of a stem!
Thanks. It was fun to build and thanks again for the opportunity to buy this great frame.
I can’t remember what that stem came off of but it had a straight bar. I had to do some pushing to make the bends on the bars with the wide clamp and they won’t be separated under my watch!
Old 03-18-21, 07:00 AM
badger_biker 

Originally Posted by polymorphself
badger_biker Yes! Happy to see another good looking '86 around. And we both got ours from forum members nevertheless.

I've just swapped mine to aero levers, 700c and leather bar tape. Will post updated pics soon.
I prefer aero but I had this nice pair of GC levers I just had to use since they were OEM. The wheels with the cartridge bearings came from another 86 I had in the past.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.