Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Old 12-12-22, 02:02 PM
brightsideofit 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Would you mind sharing the specs of your drivetrain? I want to upgrade a 1990 Trek 950 and your setup looks really practical. Beautiful Cimarron by the way.
Old 12-12-22, 02:08 PM
brightsideofit 

My contribution to the Cimarron thread. This one was near NOS. The bike was resprayed with a new clear coat. Hence, why it's so shiny.

Old 12-15-22, 11:04 AM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I'm tempted to say this belongs in a museum, but then, what better way to show it off than to ride it!!! I can't believe the condition of that Deerhead RD...

Thanks for sharing
Old 01-17-23, 02:19 PM
orloved

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brightsideofit
Would you mind sharing the specs of your drivetrain? I want to upgrade a 1990 Trek 950 and your setup looks really practical. Beautiful Cimarron by the way.

It is a somewhat oddball one -- Shimano 7 speed cassettes are the same spacing as Campagnolo 8 speed cassettes, just with one fewer cog. A buddy of mine happened to have an old 8 speed drivetrain lying around and mailed it over to me to use for this bike. As such it's Campagnolo 8 speed ergopower shifters, an 8 speed Campagnolo rear derailleur (in this case a long cage Mirage RD), but a 12-32 7 speed Shimano-compatible cassette on a Shimano freehub. (This one in particular is a Sram cassette on some old M950 XTR hubs I scored off craigslist.) The crankset and front derailleur are original to the bike, so both are Shimano, but perfectly compatible with the old Campy shifters.

It shifts great, works perfectly, has no trouble crosschaining any of the gears, though was somewhat annoying when, recently, the mounting bracket for the rear derailleur snapped at the B-screw mount. Replacements were out of stock, so I had to find another 8 speed rear derailleur used on Facebook Marketplace, take it apart, and harvest the part I needed.
Old 01-17-23, 02:44 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by orloved
recently, the mounting bracket for the rear derailleur snapped at the B-screw mount. Replacements were out of stock, so I had to find another 8 speed rear derailleur used on Facebook Marketplace, take it apart, and harvest the part I needed.
You have had the worst luck on breaking things! At least you got more spare derailleur parts out of that one.
Old 01-17-23, 08:00 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 124 Posts
I scanned the bike review of the Cimarron from the August, 1985 issue of Cyclist. Here are the specs from that review. You can read the review on my website here.

Likes For Repack Rider:
Old 01-18-23, 09:51 AM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

And I thought my drivetrain was odd!

I'm running 8s Shimano bar ends with an XT derailleur on an 8s cassette without the smallest ring. The reason for this is that I love my bar ends, and I found NOS M730 hubs, which were originally for 130mm spacing. After spreading the rear triangle, I installed a 7s freehub and a 135mm axle to make things work. There are extra spacers in the NDS, and the result is a rear wheel with only about 1mm of dish.

Love seeing messages pop up in this thread every so often. My Cimarron is my daily driver, and I LOVE it.
Old 01-25-23, 04:05 PM
talon06

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New today and need some basic help. Original owner of 87 LE according to decals and head badge 3217. Bike shop slightly dinged the fork thread which I believe I can dress. Top nut is stripped and needs replacing. It is black vice silver and marked Tange Japan GMaster.
Having read 500+ posts, I did not find anything that can tell me what thread the fork is cut (TPI) or if there are any gotchas for sourcing a new nut. I see several Tange BMX and Motorcross stamped nuts but no GMaster yet and I do not know if they are interchangeable.
Any insight or nut sources are appreciated. Cheers.
Old 01-25-23, 05:05 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Welcome! The fork is for a standard 1" headset and has a 22.2 internal diameter and is threaded 24TPI. You should have no trouble finding one, or locating a tap to clean this one up.
Old 01-25-23, 05:31 PM
talon06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the data. Any idea if the 1 inch BMX or Motocross nuts are 24 TPI? Was / Is there a 25.4mm diameter nut to watch out for?
Old 01-25-23, 05:39 PM
talon06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, are the threads UN, UNS or another specification?
Old 01-25-23, 09:54 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
BMX nut should thread on but the early standard for most of them was for a .833 inch (21.15 mm, think cheap American bikes) diameter stem so your Cimarron stem won't fit through it unless you file out the hole in the nut. But new BMX might be different; I've been out of shops for a while.
Old 01-26-23, 01:30 PM
talon06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again.
Old 04-18-23, 01:26 PM
brightsideofit 

Originally Posted by bconneraz
You're way too kind; I do love my bike but there are some seriously great looking bikes popping up here. (can't wait to see yours) That shot is on the San Siego Creek Trail, going through Irvine. It's a great stretch, and I can tick off a loop around the back bay on the days I feel extra motivated. Neo, we've got to get a ride together; perhaps a little OC C&V ride; although knowing how close you are is dangerous; I can see that we share the same passion for bicycles, and what they stand for. Having another bike nerd close only means one thing; my bike habit will only get worse...lol.

I know this was an old post, but has anyone organized a Cimarron ride in OC?
Old 05-14-23, 12:59 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 74 Posts
I've just looked through this whole thread, and though I see mention of serial numbers, both the one stamped on the BB, and the one the headbadge, I don't see anything definitive about analyzing the former. If I understand it correctly, some Cimarrons were built in Greeneville, some in Asia, but how can you tell which?

Also of course, the frames could have been made in Asia, the bikes assembled in Greeneville; that actually seems quite likely.

The stamp on the BB of the 1987 Cimarron I have is I (definitely the letter i) 626140. Headbadge stamp is 0707. The 'i' prefix doesn't seem to line up with any other serials I'm seeing here. Also, it's parallel rather than perpendicular to the faces of the BB. It's quite possible it matches the format of one of the Asian factories, but it doesn't fit Panasonic/Matsu--etc.

Any suggestions welcomed!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 05-15-23, 08:45 AM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
I've just looked through this whole thread, and though I see mention of serial numbers, both the one stamped on the BB, and the one the headbadge, I don't see anything definitive about analyzing the former. If I understand it correctly, some Cimarrons were built in Greeneville, some in Asia, but how can you tell which?

Also of course, the frames could have been made in Asia, the bikes assembled in Greeneville; that actually seems quite likely.

The stamp on the BB of the 1987 Cimarron I have is I (definitely the letter i) 626140. Headbadge stamp is 0707. The 'i' prefix doesn't seem to line up with any other serials I'm seeing here. Also, it's parallel rather than perpendicular to the faces of the BB. It's quite possible it matches the format of one of the Asian factories, but it doesn't fit Panasonic/Matsu--etc.

Over the years, I have really started to wonder if all the Greenville built bikes were simply assembled there. The evidence I tend to draw from is the fact that the first Tenax frames on bikes such as the Tempo, were marked as built in Japan. Once Greenville was up and running, those markings were removed, but there was never any marking that they were made in the US. Move forward to 1990 or so, right before Greenville closed, and you have bikes like the Voyageur marked as built in Japan with Tange tubing. I really think Panasonic was building those frames all along and they were just being assembled here.
Likes For casanewt:
Old 05-15-23, 12:52 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Weren't there some Greenville bikes with TrueTemper frames? Yeah, such frames could have been built anywhere, but it kinda suggests they may have been built here.
Old 05-16-23, 09:44 AM
countalmaviva 

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that the headbadge stamp represents the date of assembly. I believe the last digit is the year--hence, yours was assembled in 1987. If I remember where I read this, I'll circle back here.

Cheers,
Oliver H.

Originally Posted by Chicago Al

Old 05-17-23, 01:59 PM
madpogue 

^^^^^ Correct; 0707 means the 70th day of 1987, so that's, what, March 11?
Old 05-24-23, 06:16 AM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Weren't there some Greenville bikes with TrueTemper frames? Yeah, such frames could have been built anywhere, but it kinda suggests they may have been built here.
Yes, but so were a ton of frames in that era that were built mainly in Taiwan. As an example, my 1992 GT Bravada has US made True Temper GTX Ultra III tubing, but the frame was made in Taiwan.
Old 07-09-23, 10:50 PM
Hobhayward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, new Cimarron owner here - curious if anyone is interested in the factory Tioga T-bone stem (with the hole for the brake cable) - I'm looking for the taller stem that resembles (is?) the Nitto dirt dropper - would be really rad if there was someone out there interested in trading hah.
Unfortunately it appears I'm not allowed to post pics which makes this much less interesting as a post.

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-10-23 at 07:44 AM. Reason: No sellling outside of forum Marketplace.
Old 07-10-23, 01:40 PM
madpogue 

Pic assist:

Hmm, I might have a "dropper" style stem available, SLIGHT chance that it's a Nitto. And that Tioga would look boss on my Univega Activa Comp. I'll check my "pile o'random stems" later and let you know.
Old 11-16-23, 05:28 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 398 Posts
I'll add mine that I just finished building up today.

It's a 1988 model built in June of 1988 according to the headbadge.

Mine had very rough paint so I had it powder coated.

I guess there aren't many yellow ones unless they offered that color one year and I am just unaware.

I did a thread on specifics here if it's of interest.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...l#post23074604

Likes For cooperryder:
Old 11-17-23, 09:29 AM
countalmaviva 

Originally Posted by cooperryder
I'll add mine that I just finished building up today.

It's a 1988 model built in June of 1988 according to the headbadge.

Mine had very rough paint so I had it powder coated.

I guess there aren't many yellow ones unless they offered that color one year and I am just unaware.

I did a thread on specifics here if it's of interest.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...l#post23074604

Bravo! Love the color.
Old 11-19-23, 06:50 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Love the Continental Yellow

I tried and tried for years to like the u-brake idea, but the maintenance and setup was such a royal pita...ultimately one of the worst ideas ever (IMO). I think you did the merciful thing by neutering the frame and adding the long reach caliper.

Nice job!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.