Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

When To Get Back on Bike after Prostate Biopsy

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

When To Get Back on Bike after Prostate Biopsy

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 02:41 PM
dav57

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Di2, 2016 Specialized Epic mtb, 2015 Trek Boone 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
r.e. - bold -- PLEASE keep in mind that your PSA number is ONLY an indicator to a possible issue.
Yes sir only an indication. But the longer it stays undetectable the better. I just had my tested again and <0.1. I see the surgeon on Friday which should be my last heck with him.

Keep on riding.
Likes For dav57:
Old 10-09-22, 05:44 PM
dav57

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Di2, 2016 Specialized Epic mtb, 2015 Trek Boone 9

Treatment complete

Originally Posted by dav57
Yes sir only an indication. But the longer it stays undetectable the better. I just had my tested again and <0.1. I see the surgeon on Friday which should be my last heck with him.

Keep on riding.
I’m really late getting this posted. I’ve been dealing with another family medical situation. I completed my radiation treatments Sept 30. One week post treatment and feeling fine. Looking forward to slowly upping my training but very happy to be riding as much as I am.

Likes For dav57:
Old 01-25-23, 01:36 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Last week Wednesday I went in the local cancer center for my latest hormone injection and PSA test. My oncologist says that because my PSA number is so low at 0.02, and continues to be very stable, that this is likely the final injection that i will need.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-25-23, 09:22 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Maybe I should update.

They took me off treatment at the end of 2021 due to very rare cognitive side effects.
All indications were all the local treatments worked, there was no evidence of disease, so it made sense to stop treatment, maybe we got it all, and if we didn’t, it might be a long time before there was evidence of disease.

Wouldn’t that have been nice?

I had a biochemical failure (obsolete term), biochemical recurrence, or biochemical relapse last spring.

My PSA became detectable, and was doubling every month. Not good.

It didn’t take too long before I did a bunch of scans. PSMA PET scan, cat scan, bone scan.
Cat scan found some areas to follow up on, bone scan found nothing.
A PSMA PET scan then was equivocal

I had to wait six months to rescan.

In the fall repeated all the scans and the PSMA PET scan confirmed I now have stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer, in a few vertebras, two locations in my pelvis (iliac crest and pubis), and a couple of distant lymph nodes.

Started new drugs, and my testosterone is undetectable, PSA nearly undetectable.

The longer the new drugs keep my cancer from growing again the better, but there will come a day that they will fail.

The cancer has been kind so far, no pain. But the side effects are still hard.

I may get brief vacations from treatment to manage side effects (more formally, intermittent ADT), but for now, it’s wait.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-31-23 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-27-23, 02:59 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Maybe I should update.

They took me off treatment at the end of 2022 due to very rare cognitive side effects.
All indications were all the local treatments worked, there was no evidence of disease, so it made sense to stop treatment, maybe we got it all, and if we didn’t, it might be a long time before there was evidence of disease.

I had a biochemical failure (obsolete term), biochemical recurrence, or biochemical relapse last spring.

It didn’t take too long before I did a bunch of scans. PSMA PET scan, cat scan, bone scan.

In the fall repeated all the scans and the PSMA PET scan confirmed I now have stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer, in a few vertebras, two locations in my pelvis (iliac crest and pubis), and a couple of distant lymph nodes.

Started new drugs, and my testosterone is undetectable, PSA nearly undetectable.

The longer the new drugs keep my cancer from growing again the better, but there will come a day that they will fail.

I may get brief vacations from treatment to manage side effects (more formally, intermittent ADT), but for now, it’s wait.

-mr. bill
Should *that day arrive* and you become MCRPC, there are many now finding that BAT https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...%20(Figure%203) is very helpful.
Old 01-27-23, 03:29 PM
dav57

Maybe I should update.

They took me off treatment at the end of 2022 due to very rare cognitive side effects.

-mr. bill
Sorry to hear this mr bill, keep up the good fight. Let the drugs do their work. keep us updated.
Old 09-15-23, 09:29 AM
mr_bill

So a brief update.

I am a member of the "stable disease" club. The benefits include but are not limited to seeing my oncologist only once every three months.

My testosterone remains undetectable, and my PSA has been undetectable as well.

My brain fog remains, but has lifted a bit when I started Estrogen Replacement Therapy for my hot flashes. (My docs were surprised by this.)

My stuttering has nearly completely faded. (I never stuttered before the brain fog.)

One of the side effects of prednisone is weight gain, I managed to keep the weight gain on the low side, but I've started strength training, and while my weight remains constant I'm actually building some muscle now.

I was "laid off" in May while on disability leave, but all of my stock units accelerated and vested. I have long term disability insurance, and was recently approved for SSDI. So, I'm lucky that there is no financial toxicity associated with my cancer. Still, it's a surprising way to retire.

Bicycle specific, my fog still keeps me off many of the roads I used to ride. But there are lots of bike paths, separated bike lanes, and bike boulevards that my world is still quite big. (Hardest is the weekends, where the crowds on the closest bike path and my brain fog conspire to NOPE. I guess I'm a weekday warrior now.) Still bike to BIDMC in Boston for oncology and out to Lexington for my primary (non-cancer) care. Winds are stronger, hills steeper, I'm slower, but I still ride. I still ride.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 09-15-23, 10:30 AM
dav57

So a brief update.

I am a member of the "stable disease" club. The benefits include but are not limited to seeing my oncologist only once every three months.

My testosterone remains undetectable, and my PSA has been undetectable as well.

My brain fog remains, but has lifted a bit when I started Estrogen Replacement Therapy for my hot flashes. (My docs were surprised by this.)

My stuttering has nearly completely faded. (I never stuttered before the brain fog.)

One of the side effects of prednisone is weight gain, I managed to keep the weight gain on the low side, but I've started strength training, and while my weight remains constant I'm actually building some muscle now.

I was "laid off" in May while on disability leave, but all of my stock units accelerated and vested. I have long term disability insurance, and was recently approved for SSDI. So, I'm lucky that there is no financial toxicity associated with my cancer. Still, it's a surprising way to retire.

Bicycle specific, my fog still keeps me off many of the roads I used to ride. But there are lots of bike paths, separated bike lanes, and bike boulevards that my world is still quite big. (Hardest is the weekends, where the crowds on the closest bike path and my brain fog conspire to NOPE. I guess I'm a weekday warrior now.) Still bike to BIDMC in Boston for oncology and out to Lexington for my primary (non-cancer) care. Winds are stronger, hills steeper, I'm slower, but I still ride. I still ride.

-mr. bill
great to hear that your status is stable. Also that testosterone and PSA are undetectable. Glad to hear you can still do some riding. Keep up the good fight, it’s working.

for me I’m 17 months post surgery and 1 year post radiation. Just had PSA last week, undetectable. Dr wants to continue PSA every 3 months for 1 more year.
Likes For dav57:
Old 09-16-23, 11:25 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

So a brief update.......................... I'm slower, but I still ride. I still ride.

-mr. bill
Thanks for the update.Great reading something positive when sadly on PCa Forums I continue to read of a life lost due to PCa.

r.e. -- bold My QoL (Quality of Life) is largely dependent on being able to ride. Currently my state of riding is much slower BUT it is still better than unable to ride at all.

I hope you can continue to rotate the cranks for a long time but keep in mind that using electric assist if needed is better than not riding at all. At least IMO
Old 09-19-23, 02:00 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I hope you can continue to rotate the cranks for a long time but keep in mind that using electric assist if needed is better than not riding at all. At least IMO
There's no doubt that someday I will ride a bike not like the one I ride now.

While past results is no guarantee of future performance, this knee scooter was my ride a few years ago:

-mr. bill
Old 09-21-23, 06:39 AM
OldTryGuy

There's no doubt that someday I will ride a bike not like the one I ride now.

While past results is no guarantee of future performance, this knee scooter was my ride a few years ago:

-mr. bill
July 2022 was my Wild Hog Encounter for the 2nd time. Crash resulted in a fractured tibia above my left ankle requiring a knee scooter for 4 months. For some strange reason my right knee bone on bone issue has worsened. Do NOT want electric in my future but I might have to capitulate.