Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tubular Rim Damage

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tubular Rim Damage

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-23, 02:32 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts
Tubular Rim Damage

Hi Guys,

What kind of damage does this to a rim and is it still usable/repairable or is the rim junk at this point? They are tubular rims with an aero profile.

Old 02-01-23, 02:40 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 859 Posts
Tubular rims are made of uniformly-thin aluminum which dents easily when exposed to concentrated loading as when contacting a hard object like a bike rack/stand.

Perhaps the bike got knocked over while the wheel was retained by some kind of stand, but it doesn't matter now since this can't really be repaired and appears to extend onto the brake track (assuming this isn't a disc-brake wheel).

If the wheel isn't too old, perhaps you could source a replacement rim for it.
Old 02-01-23, 06:39 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Tubular rims are made of uniformly-thin aluminum which dents easily when exposed to concentrated loading as when contacting a hard object like a bike rack/stand.

Perhaps the bike got knocked over while the wheel was retained by some kind of stand, but it doesn't matter now since this can't really be repaired and appears to extend onto the brake track (assuming this isn't a disc-brake wheel).

If the wheel isn't too old, perhaps you could source a replacement rim for it.
It was an auction that I was looking at that was going for super cheap. Rim was a late 90s one I believe but the seller doesnt know the specific brand (was guessing it might be araya). Since its pretty much dead and I dont care for the hubs its a pass for me. Thanks for the assessment.
Old 02-02-23, 12:39 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Vintage, practically new tubular rims can be gotten for cheap. I know of a few people who purchased entire parts collections with rims and entire wheels that they have no use for.
Old 02-02-23, 12:48 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Yeah, could be damage from storage. Tubulars are still used quite a bit in cyclocross though I am not sure why someone would use such a deep V rim for cross. Maybe a backup wheelset that was used during training sessions. You could always ask the seller.