Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is this a Raleigh Rapide Mixte?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-01-23, 04:38 PM
ari_ari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I'm usually just a casual biker but I've been wanted to get into riding more as I've moved to a more bike-able area. I haven't bought a bike in years. I usually just grab something off of craigslist around me. Recently when looking for a bike I came across this super cool older bike for $60. I love it, but I have a few questions/concerns before I get it.

i.redd.it/ev9o0f0olnfa1.png

What bike is this, and what age is it? It looks kind of like a Raleigh Rapide Mixte, but with different handle bars
With an older bike like this, should I expect any more challenges with maintenance / finding parts?

The seller is also not being clear what size the wheels on this bike are, so if anyone is able to eyeball and give me an idea of the size that would be great! I'm looking for a bike with about 24inch wheels (I'm 4'10", and of course I will meet with the seller and make sure the bike fits before going through with the purchase.)
Old 02-01-23, 04:43 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts

Old 02-01-23, 05:18 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
Looks like 26 0r 27 inch wheels , but the frame looks small so it may fit you.
Old 02-01-23, 05:21 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Welcome! The bike pictured might have smaller than normal wheels (for a derailleur bike). Those could be 26 x 1 3/8 or even 24s but you should be able to dig up the Rapide's specs pretty easily. Most of the wear items should be readily available. Good luck!

Be aware that Raleigh might have used the Rapide name in different markets on totally different bicycles. I'm seen a Rapide 12 with Reynolds-tube frames and would bet yours is not like that.

Here's one I found on the internet with drop bars and what looks like a taller frame and probably 27" wheels. If your frame is small enough to fit you comfortably you don't necessarily need smaller wheels.

Last edited by thumpism; 02-01-23 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-01-23, 05:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
I suspect this is one of the low cost Raleigh USA Rapides. Sold a few back in the early 1980s after Raleigh decided that the Asian manufacturing was up to their standards (and I fully realize that those standards were rather "Euro", the Asian bikes were faster to assemble and tended to have fewer "teething" problems than the previous versions from England/Netherlands/Canada).

Looking at the seat and brake levers I also suspect this bike had drop bars that were swapped out fairly early on (if not at the time of sale). No surprise that the bike looks so clean, it likely got very few rides before the rider decided the seat discomfort wasn't worth it. Upright bars place more weight on the butt. Andy
Old 02-02-23, 12:59 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
I would bet the bike has 27" wheels. Your height makes finding a bike difficult but not impossible. Hang in there. I would definitely shoot for a step through frame, the main thing is to get the fit in your ball park. You made the right move asking here. There is a huge pool of knowledge.
Old 02-02-23, 01:09 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
You might also consider a good folder. Many 24" wheeled bikes are made for kids and as such may not be as well thought out or appointed but that's not always the case.

Not recommending this brand of bike but you can get an idea of where your height falls in with bike size. https://www.clearybikes.com/kids-bike-sizing-guide/

Actually the bikes don't look bad.
Old 02-02-23, 10:29 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
You can JUST make out "Rapide" on the long-stay, up near the head tube. And yes, there were sizes with 24" wheels available - https://www.cherrycycles.com/roadgra...oad-bike-57fl9 . The more I look at this bike, for example, the size of the dork disc relative to the overall wheel size, the more I think that it is indeed a 24"-er.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 02-02-23, 10:44 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Mixte bikes do make good upright casual city riders. Hope it fits and you were
ae to get it! 60$ is not a bad price.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 02-02-23, 12:47 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I have mixed feelings on this. While the frame and even the components on this bike are good enough and I love Mixte's. If it fits and you take it for a test ride and everything works and you like it, I would say go for it.

The problem will come when something doesn't work. If you cannot fix it yourself and have to bring to a local bike shop they will tell you that it cost too much to bother fixing it and you are better off with a new bike for what you have to spend on that one. Also, it is still a older, lower end bike. There is nothing wrong with that but, with steel rims, steel hubs and a cottered steel crank, it is either begging for a couple of upgrades or will be a placeholder until you can find something better. You are likely to need new tires, brake pads and pedals.

It looks like the left and right pedals are different. If you do buy it, you can get reasonably good pedals at WalMart. Yea, I said it. But their components are ok. Some are even good or at least as good as you will get in a bike shop. They often also have pedal wrenches amd brake pads. If you or someone close to you were willing and able to do the work on this bike, it can be a good deal. It really should get a good going over with bearing being regreased and cables, housings, and brake pads replaced. And as Andy stated above, a seat more better for an upright riding position.

My wife is just an inch or so taller than you (she says) and she has a Trek 830 mountain bike that she loves and a Raleigh Venture step through that she doesn't love but might be a good fit for both of you . She doesn't love the Raleigh because she thinks she is too big for it. The seat too low when she first saw it. The Raleigh has an Aluminum frame, aluminum wheels and seven speeds, keeping it simple. The seat has a big range of adjustment, so it should fit. Trek and other brands have or had similar bikes. It might be something to keep an eye out for. I have to get a picture of this bike one of these days. Her's has a rigid fork. Newer models have a suspension fork.

Raleigh Venture

Let us know how it goes.
Likes For Velo Mule: