Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Too Afraid to Ride My Carbon Road Bike

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Too Afraid to Ride My Carbon Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 08:02 PM
deaninkl

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
It is somewhat amuising reading about carbon bikes in this section.... I know.. I just as guilty, I recently bought one as I got a great deal on a bike I wanted as it was my size and the discout brought it down to close to the aluminium model I actually wanted but got better groupset.. but when I consider that I am 40lb overweigt then the the extra $$$ that carbon cost over steal of aluminium is a laughing matter... and we have yet t see waht happens to carbon after 30 years... will we have a "Classic Carbon" section one day or will they turn to dust?..

Sorry, a little off subject, but I just have to smile reading about carbon when many here simply want a bike that can take our weight. I'm bottom end of Clydesdale.. soo (I hope) it be "post Clyde.." but I'll stick arround, best section here for real life issues!!
Likes For deaninkl:
Old 08-19-22, 08:03 PM
mgarman14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just my 2 cents here on a thread several months old - Ride it. Ride it like you stole it, ride it like you want to burn all the weight off. You said you lost 7 lbs in december - assuming you kept something similar up (even being conservative and saying 3-5 lbs a month) you are close. Or should be. I have no room to talk though, I am at worst, 40-50lbs overweight for my carbon frame but that is not stopping me. Something happens to the frame? ride the hell out of the other and once you are under the limit, claim the frame damage happened then, if its under warranty. They would have to prove the damage happened when you were over the weight limit, otherwise they have to (i.e. should and take with a grain of salt) honor the warranty if you bought it new or with warranty. If not, there are carbon repair companies that do great work. At least that's my thoughts. I know others will disagree (as you can see) but if it gets you out and feeling better about yourself, then do it.

That being said, wheels will take the brunt of the damage if anything. But good luck with the goals!
Likes For mgarman14:
Old 10-04-22, 01:25 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Practically speaking, are you willing/able to replace the frame with your own funds if you break it before you get down to their limit?

If the answer is yet, ride it like you stole it, and it will help you burn off the lbs.

If the answer is no, then set it aside as an incentive/reward.

I, personally, would just ride it, and avoid 10' drops.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-04-22, 06:21 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
If you are uneasy about riding the carbon bike, then don't ride it. Do what you are comfortable doing.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 10-18-22, 09:52 PM
anthonybkny

Bikes: C'dale Quick 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Grudey1
I have a 2019 Trek Domane SL5 carbon road bike that, after significant weight gain during a riding hiatus, am now too afraid to ride in fear that I will damage the frame.

I am currently 305 lbs. and working hard to get some weight back off. In July I put smooth tires on my mountain bike and have been averaging 60 miles per week since. I, so badly, want to get back on the Domane but don’t want to over-stress it and, potentially ruin it, for when I get back down under 275 lbs. (Trek’s weight limit). When I originally purchased the Domane, I also invested an additional $1000 on heavy duty custom-built wheels (DT Swiss, RR 521’s with 32 heave-gauge spokes and hubs meant for bike touring). I am confident in the wheels but, even being a very conscientious rider, I just fear for the frame.

I have registered for a two-day, 150-mile ride in May which I intend to do on the road bike (Texas MS 150). This being said, I feel I should be training on the road bike (at least for my long rides on the weekends).

I am reaching out to the group to gather feedback on whether my concerns are warranted and if my decision to wait is wise, or if I am over-thinking it.
no worries, your domane can handle it with room to spare
Old 10-28-22, 09:58 PM
Chicken_fat

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 11 Posts
#285 pounds currently but have been over #300 at different times. Been riding a Specialized Roubaix since 2014, bike has been fine but having the right wheels is necessary.
Likes For Chicken_fat:
Old 12-25-22, 08:31 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by RVRBTR
Personally, I would set the carbon bike aside for now. How many pinch flats do you really want to repair? Pick up a nice steel MTB or hybrid from the 90's for $100-200 and go at it. I just converted a lugged steel trek 930 MTB to drop bar, and am getting ready to do the same to a lugged steel Trek 790, which has the same frame as the 520 touring bike. No reason you couldn't do a two day,150 miler on either one.
Good idea, though he has already converted his mountain bike.
Old 01-17-23, 09:04 AM
jmitchelltfo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've avoided carbon frames, but my thick head still thinks that carbon forks and rims are within the realm of possibility.......I might be cruisin' for a bruisin'

I am using them as a reward to motivate myself to continue to work hard and drop weight.
Likes For jmitchelltfo:
Old 03-03-23, 03:05 PM
Grudey1
Suburban Dad

Bikes: 2019 Trek Domane SL5 Disc, 2021 Giant Talon 2, 2012 Trek 7.1 FX, 2005 Trek Fuel 70, 2003 Trek 4500

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Just an update... Got down to 270 so far. To date I have had zero issues with the frame and wheels. Rode a little over 3,000 miles last year. I am, however, SUPER careful about where and how I ride. I'm not afraid to put the power down but will always slow way up before approaching significant bumps and even get off the bike instead of hopping a curb.

Not for nothing but I have realized I don't love riding on the carbon frame. It seems harsh to me. To be fair, having straight-pull spokes may be a contributor. Either way, this probably won't be my "forever bike." I would prefer to go back to aluminum or a light steel frame. Just me.
Likes For Grudey1:
Old 03-04-23, 02:22 AM
MagnaRota

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Do you have a spring in the saddle? Being almost all of the mass in the system is us, anything which isolates us from the rest of the system will help. After upgrading to the big Walmart seat with the springs in it, the difference going over bumps was noticeable and I could feel the reduced shock on the wheels and frame. I also would never hop a curb or do anything resembling that.

Originally Posted by Grudey1
Just an update... Got down to 270 so far. To date I have had zero issues with the frame and wheels. Rode a little over 3,000 miles last year. I am, however, SUPER careful about where and how I ride. I'm not afraid to put the power down but will always slow way up before approaching significant bumps and even get off the bike instead of hopping a curb.

Not for nothing but I have realized I don't love riding on the carbon frame. It seems harsh to me. To be fair, having straight-pull spokes may be a contributor. Either way, this probably won't be my "forever bike." I would prefer to go back to aluminum or a light steel frame. Just me.
Likes For MagnaRota: