Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

My new 1996 Torelli Cyclocross bike

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 06-02-22, 05:22 PM
motochick 

Bikes: '80 Medici Tourismo, '82 Merckx, '85 Peugeot PSN10, '86 Ironman, '89 Trek 520, '96 Steelman, '96 Torelli CX, '97 Friday Two'sDay, '02 CoMo Speedster, '09 Giant Reign, '10 Canfield, '13 Turner DHR, '16 Chase BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 51 Posts

There was an old guy in my town that past away a few years ago and had a pretty good sized collection of bikes, parts and frames. Lucky for me, his bikes were all my size and I was able to acquire 2 of them. This one is a 1996 Torelli Cyclocross fame/fork that was found in his belongings. The Torelli wheels were also found but not on or near the frame but one could expect they were meant to go together. The guy who inherited the bikes owns a shop in the area and he built it up with as many parts as he could from the collection, filling in any gaps with his own stash. I had come into the shop looking for a specific bike of the collection when I saw this thing. At the time, I didn't know how rare it was (less than 100 made) but it was different and I wanted it. I wanted to get it out on the roads again. After finding and securing the bike I came in for, ('96 Steelman) my husband bought me this one for my birthday. I added the triple because I'm old and love to climb mountains (we live in a valley) and I upgraded the brakes from parts I had lying around. Right now it has road tires because it is much too hot and dusty to do any dirt riding. PRAY FOR RAIN! I am looking to see if there are any cyclocross events in my state as I think I would enjoy it. Yes, it's old and heavy but isn't it beautiful?

The angle makes these bars look HUGE! LOL

8sp index shifting via Dura Ace, need me a triple cuz I'm old and ride up mountains

Mmm, Paul. Anyone know what bars these are? The writing is faded off

John, you had amazing taste in bikes. I am honored to get to ride two of your treasures!

Columbus Brain tubing on the frame, Oria on the forks. Less than 100 of these were made.

Bars still look huge. This thing is so much fun to ride, super comfortable and fast.
Likes For motochick:
Old 06-02-22, 05:54 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Italian cyclo cross bikes are not that common. Neat build and cool bike. It will make a fine road bike even if you don’t take it off road. That’s great that you were able to mount 38c tires. I have an 80s Pinarello cross and it only takes a 32c tire.

Last edited by bikemig; 06-02-22 at 05:57 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-02-22, 06:29 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Gosh that is a beautiful find and in beautiful condition! You have a good eye for a vintage bike deal. I am sure you will love riding it! Just a heads up though that those Panaracer slicks are not very grippy, especially when it is wet out.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 06-02-22, 07:13 PM
motochick 

Bikes: '80 Medici Tourismo, '82 Merckx, '85 Peugeot PSN10, '86 Ironman, '89 Trek 520, '96 Steelman, '96 Torelli CX, '97 Friday Two'sDay, '02 CoMo Speedster, '09 Giant Reign, '10 Canfield, '13 Turner DHR, '16 Chase BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Gosh that is a beautiful find and in beautiful condition! You have a good eye for a vintage bike deal. I am sure you will love riding it! Just a heads up though that those Panaracer slicks are not very grippy, especially when it is wet out.
Thanks! I’ve got a knack for scoring amazing vintage bikes at ridiculous prices! (Like my $125 very early Merckx) Thanks for the heads up, these tires were throw aways from our tandem bike! I just threw them on to be able to ride it, it came with awful Bontrager knobby’s.
Old 06-03-22, 08:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
This made it worth logging into BF today. Cool bike.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-04-22, 01:58 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Red. Triple. Canti. Horizontal tt. Cute, smaller size. What's not to like?

I can see these 38mm as your next tyres! https://global.bluelug.com/fairweath...tire-rust.html
Likes For tangerineowl: